Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Shore Enrollment drops

Lake Shore Enrollment drops

Saw news story last night,Lakeshore enrollment drops over the years by 400.
    New school budget lays off 20 teachers which doesnt break my heart.The twist is the poor residents are looking at a 4% tax increase. The Fn never stops In the world of academia.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    New school budget lays off 20 teachers which doesnt break my heart..
    Twenty people locally lose their jobs, and this is your reaction. Real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gordon
    Twenty people locally lose their jobs, and this is your reaction. Real nice.
    His reaction was that, despite a head-cut, they're still raising taxes. Why do you think that's "real nice"?.

Funny, each time my company cuts staffing, it's a cheaper business to operate. Why are schools different? Not to worry- they're probably early retirees- it's 55 for teachers, ho ho ho, so they'll still get your money one way or another.

Thought it would help to have the article on hand.....

But SG, what is it you would have the district do? Its enrollment is way down. Why shouldn't some staff be eliminated?

Lake Shore budget cuts 20 teachers
    By MARY B. PASCIAK
    News Staff Reporter
    4/3/2006

The proposed Lake Shore School District budget would cut 20 teaching positions to compensate for the district's steadily dropping enrollment over the past several years.
    The $48.7 million spending plan would increase spending 1.75 percent. The tax levy would increase 4.4 percent.

The district has lost about 500 students over the past nine years, bringing the enrollment projection below 3,000 for the fall for the first time in more than a decade, Superintendent Jeffrey R. Rabey said.

"In that same time period, there's been little or no staffing cuts," he said.

Four or five of the proposed cuts will be covered through attrition; the rest likely will come through layoffs, he said.

A few tenured teachers could be affected, along with newer faculty. The cuts will be spread throughout the district, but the middle school will be hit hardest because the incoming sixth-grade class is significantly smaller.

The district recently outlined clear class-size guidelines, which will shape staffing decisions. Kindergarten through second-grade classes will have about 22 pupils; third- to eighth-grade classes, 24 to 26 pupils; ninth grade, about 22 students; and 10th to 12th grades, about 24 students.

The budget also will cut spending across the board for supplies and materials by 20 percent, for a savings of $126,000.

"We have really, I think, presented a fiscally responsible budget," Rabey said. "We maintained all our programs, which I think is reasonable."

The board is expected to vote on the budget Tuesday.

e-mail: mpasciak@buffnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by colossus27
    His reaction was that, despite a head-cut, they're still raising taxes. Why do you think that's "real nice"?.

Funny, each time my company cuts staffing, it's a cheaper business to operate. Why are schools different? Not to worry- they're probably early retirees- it's 55 for teachers, ho ho ho, so they'll still get your money one way or another.
    Read what I highlighted from his quote. My comment wasn't regarding the taxes, it was about his reaction to people losing their jobs.

Thanks.

Read what I highlighted from his quote. My comment wasn't regarding the taxes, it was about his reaction to people losing their jobs.

Thanks.
    Got it. Thanks.

I was looking over the Lake Shore Central School District's web site. A portion talks about the budget, and the financial pressures it faces.

Increases for contractual obligations to existing employes totaled about $1.1 million. But what really floored me was that increases in health care for retirees was nearly as much, about $1 million.

Talk about awkward. Laying off existing teachers to help pay the health care bills for retired employees.

Wow. Same problem the city of Buffalo and Buffalo schools have.
    And to think the suburbs think of themselves as somehow different from the city.

Thanks.

Hey Steve I live in the Niagara Wheatfield School district.I would be buying drinks for all if some of these clowns lost their jobs. No it doesent bother me when School teachers loose their jobs. My point was why a tax increase if the student load dropped. Hey People in the private sector get laid off all the time,live with it. Every year the same crap.Oh its only $50.00 a year well I have lived here 6 years so I guess that equals $300.00 of my hard earned money to pay for your health care an retirement.Screw em all

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    Hey Steve I live in the Niagara Wheatfield School district.I would be buying drinks for all if some of these clowns lost their jobs. No it doesent bother me when School teachers loose their jobs. My point was why a tax increase if the student load dropped. Hey People in the private sector get laid off all the time,live with it. Every year the same crap.Oh its only $50.00 a year well I have lived here 6 years so I guess that equals $300.00 of my hard earned money to pay for your health care an retirement.Screw em all
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't need it, though. I'm not arguing the tax point nor the point of the layoffs. Staffing should be in line with enrollment.

I'm pointing out your ridiculous, indifferent attitude towards people losing their jobs. Drop the whole "private" vs. "public" sector shtick. No foolin' people in the private sector lose their jobs. Get past your jaded, crappy attitude and realize that anyone losing their job (private or public) sucks.

You dislike the system so much, that you hate everyone involved. Fantastic.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't need it, though. I'm not arguing the tax point nor the point of the layoffs. Staffing should be in line with enrollment.

I'm pointing out your ridiculous, indifferent attitude towards people losing their jobs. Drop the whole "private" vs. "public" sector shtick. No foolin' people in the private sector lose their jobs. Get past your jaded, crappy attitude and realize that anyone losing their job (private or public) sucks.

Were you surprised to see such a high cost for providing health care for retirees? Do many school districts still provide that? My impression was that it had been phased out, which is why I was so surprised to see it at Lake Shore. Life time health care for retirees is killing both Buffalo city and schools.

Hate doesent describe my feeling toward the school system,and the extortion of the taxpayer.Nobody gives a F about the senior Citizen or the person on a fixed income.All you care about is yourself and your Pensions. I still work and I can afford the $50.00 but do I like it ? NO I dont. I have worked in the Private sector all my life by my choice. So in my mind their is no Gray area.Private sector creats wealth,the public sector extorts it.
    Here is one for you "Teachers Union the New Taliban"
    Their are alot of people who think like I do,they just need to get organized.I have to get busy and organize. Its time to say enough is enough.I gave at the office. They have Balls in Niagara Falls they laid off a bunch their too. HO Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Were you surprised to see such a high cost for providing health care for retirees? Do many school districts still provide that? My impression was that it had been phased out, which is why I was so surprised to see it at Lake Shore. Life time health care for retirees is killing both Buffalo city and schools.

Fan these people dont care,Its all about me take care of me for life. I got in your wallet during my teaching years,now I am retired and I cant let go.Screw em alll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Stupid Question

I hope someone can answer my stupid question. Who sits in and negotiates the teachers contracts for the side of the taxpayer? If we don't like what the teachers get paid or their benefits plans how can we as their bosses get into the process?Also is the teachers wages and benefits information available to us ? I have talked to a couple of teachers and they say they still have health insurance that covers cosmetic surgery. Can anyone say tummy tuck or b**b job. Any help you can throw my way would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by boomeriam
    I hope someone can answer my stupid question. Who sits in and negotiates the teachers contracts for the side of the taxpayer? If we don't like what the teachers get paid or their benefits plans how can we as their bosses get into the process?Also is the teachers wages and benefits information available to us ? I have talked to a couple of teachers and they say they still have health insurance that covers cosmetic surgery. Can anyone say tummy tuck or b**b job. Any help you can throw my way would be helpful.
    The school board members ultimately are those who negotiate on behalf of the public. Traditionally, though, school board members are part of the education status quo -- education at any cost, that is to say. Every so often a taxpayer group rises up and gets a sympathetic candidate elected. Whereupon said candidate is usually tortured by everyone else and doesn't get re-elected or just goes away to regain his/her sanity.

School district payrolls are public information. You can file a freedom of information request with the district records officer (ask the district clerk who that is) and they are obligated to provide it.

So need to be specific about what data you want.

Some data, like social security numbers, are not public but most of the payrolls are already prepared in an acceptable form for the media so it shouldn't be much trouble for districst to provide it to you as well.

Ask that it be sent by disk or email -- otherwise they'll charge you a fortune for copying. Getting it on paper makes it hard to get an overall picture of salaries etc. anyway. It's much better on a spread sheet.

What you can get is: Employee name, date of hire, municipality of residence, title, base pay, titles and pay for any additional duties or benefits (like longevity) and total pay.

The benefits are part of the teacher contracts, which are also available to the public in booklet form, I think.

Hope that helps.

Thank you

Thanks for the info FAN. It is very helpful. It will amaze me at what we are paying the teachers and support staff I'm sure.
    Here is another thought, Is there another school system Lake shore can merge with to save money so not to hit the taxpayer with a hike?

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    The school board members ultimately are those who negotiate on behalf of the public. Traditionally, though, school board members are part of the education status quo -- education at any cost, that is to say. Every so often a taxpayer group rises up and gets a sympathetic candidate elected. Whereupon said candidate is usually tortured by everyone else and doesn't get re-elected or just goes away to regain his/her sanity.

School district payrolls are public information. You can file a freedom of information request with the district records officer (ask the district clerk who that is) and they are obligated to provide it.

So need to be specific about what data you want.

Some data, like social security numbers, are not public but most of the payrolls are already prepared in an acceptable form for the media so it shouldn't be much trouble for districst to provide it to you as well.

Ask that it be sent by disk or email -- otherwise they'll charge you a fortune for copying. Getting it on paper makes it hard to get an overall picture of salaries etc. anyway. It's much better on a spread sheet.

What you can get is: Employee name, date of hire, municipality of residence, title, base pay, titles and pay for any additional duties or benefits (like longevity) and total pay.

The benefits are part of the teacher contracts, which are also available to the public in booklet form, I think.

Hope that helps.
    You are right on the button Fan. I go to school board meetings and if it gets to hot they go in to executive session. I am going to run for this school board as soon as their is an open seat.I guarantee I get elected.Then let the torture begin.Me doing the torture.After executive session I will write a news letter and let the taxpayer know what was said. Its time to rise up and stop this madness. Niagara Wheatfield School Board "The New Taliban"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information