Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garbage Totes

Garbage Totes

One of the councilman wants the residents to spend two million dollars for garbage totes. They said it will cost the taxpayers sixty five dollars each. Do you think this is a responsible solution o the so called rat problem?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    IF people really can't pack thier garbage well you may not have a choice.

Are there areas of the town where you actually see rats openly running around? Or is it 100 siteings throughout the town?

Here's some thoughts..

How do you poision rats without poisioning the rabbits?

When setting bg ol rat traps do you catch the occasional cute chipmunk or bunny?

Why don't people catch thier own rats.. I did when I lived on lovejoy. Some were really big.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    IF people really can't pack thier garbage well you may not have a choice.

Are there areas of the town where you actually see rats openly running around? Or is it 100 siteings throughout the town?

Here's some thoughts..

How do you poision rats without poisioning the rabbits?

When setting bg ol rat traps do you catch the occasional cute chipmunk or bunny?

Why don't people catch thier own rats.. I did when I lived on lovejoy. Some were really big.
    It really puts government in a bind when not everyone will voluntarily join in its efforts. But Tonawanda really is mostly a peaceful, orderly place. Perhaps, the problem is with older residents who don't quite know what is happening around them. I understand TOT is going the way of Buffalo-like totes. I hope the town will offer a free pass to the elderly for those totes. Not many can afford them, and as the generations of residents who have made TOT a place where people want to go raise families, I think they owe the older folks a thanks, and the willingness to subsidize those totes!

Rats are drawn by garbage, period! If you can't pack it properly they will come and reproduce like rats.

Solution, like in most warm weather communities is municipal garbage cans.

If the residents still pack their garbage poorly; guess what? THEY PAY VERY HEAVY FINES!

Quote Originally Posted by Usually Right
    Rats are drawn by garbage, period! If you can't pack it properly they will come and reproduce like rats.

If the residents still pack their garbage poorly; guess what? THEY PAY VERY HEAVY FINES!
    I agree with you (oddly enough).

$65 for a mandatory garbage tote???? OW! I "splurged" on a nice, big heavy duty plastic one with wheels for about $20 on sale two or three years ago.

Rather than going for uniform garbage totes right off, how about a compromise? I expect that many elderly residents already have cans. Require all garbage to be put in cans, either metal or heavy plastic, and fine the folks that fail to do that.

BTW, one of my brothers who lives near the apartments just off Niagara Falls Blvd and Longacre (Longview? Longsomething!) claims he sees rats all the time. I'm not sure if that's true or exaggeration ... (one rat, IMHO, is too many!)
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Somebody call the Guiness(sp.) book of world records, I agree with U.R. on this one. It actually makes the most sense, the fines would then help to defray the cost, especially, if the totes are phased in.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), (attributed)
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

Let me be a hard on seniors with this.

Seniors get tax discounts on their homes, senior discounts wherever they go. They can pay for this one. It IS for their benefit also.

I hear much of the commercial district in Williamsville is experiencing a problem. Sections of the town and Cheektowaga have had issues ever since Buffalo went to totes. They work. I believe Kenmore is going to spread the cost over one year's water bills. At $16 per quarter, that makes it a little easier to pay for seniors or those on fixed incomes. Besides controling rodents, by standardizing garbage pickup, it should help control the cost with garbage collection. All containers are mechanically lifted over the truck and emptied AND it has an attached lid. I'm tired of buying new cans because garbage collectors throw the lids in the street and they are broken and run over by cars.
    Villager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager
    I hear much of the commercial district in Williamsville is experiencing a problem. Sections of the town and Cheektowaga have had issues ever since Buffalo went to totes. They work. I believe Kenmore is going to spread the cost over one year's water bills. At $16 per quarter, that makes it a little easier to pay for seniors or those on fixed incomes. Besides controling rodents, by standardizing garbage pickup, it should help control the cost with garbage collection. All containers are mechanically lifted over the truck and emptied AND it has an attached lid. I'm tired of buying new cans because garbage collectors throw the lids in the street and they are broken and run over by cars.

So this means we can cut some government employees and save on the cost of living in WNY?

Not in Amherst. We have private pick up which cost is added to: ready for this? THE TAX BILL! What a novel thought!

I'm going to disclaim that I'm still a little TO'd about what went down in Tonawanda where I live...

So you could avoid paying the setup money, and charging everyone a yearly fee by just using fines to get people to keep their trash rat proof. I've got to ask why spend the money? Just because everyone else is? I wouldn't look to Buffalo or (current) Tonawanda on how to run things. Though things are looking up in Buffalo, maybe its all because of the magical garbage totes...

Let me be a hard on seniors with this.

Seniors get tax discounts on their homes, senior discounts wherever they go. They can pay for this one. It IS for their benefit also.
    Wow you're a cold person, I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting you. I hope you and I plan well for our future and that in retirement an extra $50-100 a year isn't a big deal, but theres people who can't, thats just the way it is. In Tonawanda they want to charge us a yearly tote fee, which I can afford, but I don't want to pay it. I can't imagine if things were tight for me.

Linda_D,
    I agree with you 100%. As for NFB, its awful on the Town side from what my friends tell me, they blame it on Amherst developing, but I'm sure its the restaurants on both sides. Oh and restaurants don't use totes. They use large metal tote like things, aka rat hotels.

Villager,
    Having your trash can distroyed is a problem with the workers. Enough phone calls will get someones attention. Though in the village of Kenmore I think the garbage collectors are unionized(*) so they have no insentive to do their job properly. *- I'm told that in Kenmore, garbage collectors only do one side of the street at a time. Sounds like a union rule to me. But this is the Amherst area so I'll leave that one alone.

I'm WELL into my senior years. I have been retired for almost 10 years. I also LIKE to pay my school taxes STILL because I think we all should have smarter kids in the world today!

And it isn't an extra $100 dollars a year. It is a one time fee per household for one can in most communities that have private pickup.

Doesn't Tona have their own garbage pick up? If they do and they are going to charge an extra $100 per year for the container, they are screwing you! My suggestion is you move to Amherst to save the extra garbage fee.

Would the new totes require new garbage collection trucks?

Depends on the tote. Some are "pick up" style that are hand dumped, others are "pick up dump" styles that truck picks up. Some homes have to have 2 totes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information