Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof replacement permits; why and consequences of not having one

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Two not trues, you are just assuming there are many homes with 3 4 or 5 layers. I call that one out, no way on 4 or 5... it is impossible almost. Second, roofs are not striped to the joists. With the old shake shingles there were nailing strips of 3/4 lumber nailed to the joists. You strip to that, then add 1/2 osb or plywood. No one strips to the joists. That would be a nightmare as no way the old houses are 16 on center.
    When I said 4 or 5 layers...it was worse case with houses 100 years old and counting old shake singles which the COB considers one roof, then many times roll roofing is found , and other layers, sometime 1 or 2 layers of 240lb asphalt shingles...many of the new suburbs, this is not the case but I speak from experience as an owner of homes nearly 100 years old, in the city.
    and yes, there are slats across the rafters, but if they are rotted as in worse case scenarios, I have seen them pulled of which is an expensive nightmare, especially where rafters are not 16" o.c., but 23 /24" o.c. and 3/4 plywood cdx, not 1/2 partcle sheathing as is usually used.

Hmmmm... have some experience?
    April 17, 2014:

Buffalo area home repairman sued by state attorney general

Schneiderman also said he recommends insisting on a written contract that includes the price and description of the work to be done. He said homeowners should not pay unreasonable advance sums to contractors and never pay the full price up front. He said they should negotiate a payment schedule tied to the completion of the job.
    August 15, 2013

31 Buffalo Companies Part of Settlement with State Attorney General

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced a settlement with more than 200 home improvement contractors accused of violating New York’s Home Improvement Contracts Law.

According to the report, 31 companies from Buffalo were among the 200 that settled. The AG’s office had been investigating alleged abuses that included failure to provide written contracts or honor terms of consumers’ work agreements.
    and the list goes on and on.

Two Fire Fighters in Buffalo lost their lives in separate fires a few years ago - both had roof collapses due to 3-4 layered roofing material. FYI !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Not much left of a roof layer many times so it is hard to say how much weight is there with 3 4 or 5....

So gman, that is YOUR experience?
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

So when a permit is filed, an inspector will come out to "inspect" the job? I've seen them do some drive bys, not actually sure if these guys even know what to look for. When our subdivision was built 20 some years ago, there must have been an inspector "inspecting" , but apparently missed a lot. The biggest joke was the plumbing permit for a new hot water tank. The inspector said the police drive around on garbage night and make note of the houses that have hot water tanks on their lawn and report them to the plumbing inspector. After laughing at him, I said Ya right, if there is a hot water tank put out on a lawn a picker will grab it in 5 minutes.

Two not trues, you are just assuming there are many homes with 3 4 or 5 layers. I call that one out, no way on 4 or 5... it is impossible almost. Second, roofs are not striped to the joists. With the old shake shingles there were nailing strips of 3/4 lumber nailed to the joists. You strip to that, then add 1/2 osb or plywood. No one strips to the joists. That would be a nightmare as no way the old houses are 16 on center.
    Absolutely there are homes around here with 4-5 layers. I saw them when I was house hunting!

I have done roofs with houses built in the 70s and 80s and the joists looked like a weave of tooth picks held together by shoestring. At least once we stopped and told the owner there was no way we were continuing until they could get someone out to inspect the structure. I wasn't risking my life being up there. I couldn't believe the place didn't already collapse.

Wrong, most are using the funds to buy the material for that job. Ponzi scheme hahaha
    Never pay up front. Never. You set a milestone for the first installment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    So when a permit is filed, an inspector will come out to "inspect" the job? I've seen them do some drive bys, not actually sure if these guys even know what to look for. When our subdivision was built 20 some years ago, there must have been an inspector "inspecting" , but apparently missed a lot. The biggest joke was the plumbing permit for a new hot water tank. The inspector said the police drive around on garbage night and make note of the houses that have hot water tanks on their lawn and report them to the plumbing inspector. After laughing at him, I said Ya right, if there is a hot water tank put out on a lawn a picker will grab it in 5 minutes.
    Agreed. Depending on your town, the quality of the "inspectors" is generally subpar. I have had good experiences though. And bad ones too....

Some municipalities do not require re-roofing permits. Understanding that some people believe that having to get a permit is a money-making venture by a municipality, that anyone should be able to install a roof on their own, this is one dumb-ass individual that could not, nor would not contract the job to anyone but a professional. Reasons:

1. Uncomfortable walking and or working on a roof.

2. Could not manage it on my own with friends that know less than I do and even if one said that he had done some roofs.

3. Would not jeopardize my friends well being knowing first-hand of professional roofers who have fallen off of roofs and or staple-gunned their body parts. Getting friends together to help put a roof and where most likely alcohol drinking will take place is too risky for me.

4. Am more than willing to spend $50 for a permit knowing that the party I contracted has insurance – not fooled by a piece of paper that I would have difficulty recognizing as credible. The town will not issue a permit to an uninsured roofer.

5. A roof is one of the most important structures in a house. I want a quality job done by experts, who are insured and who will guarantee their work.

6. And that $50 comes in handy if a quality job is not performed and the town is requested by the homeowner to inspect the job to ensure codes have been met. And yes, I have heard of that happening on two occasions.

7. Homeowners who have been told by the roofer that they would be getting the permit should know that if they don’t see the permit posted in their window or on a sign somewhere, the roofer has not received a permit and he very well may be uninsured as well.

I don’t know what the fee is for an individual filling out an application that indicates he or she will be doing the work on their own and accepts all liability risks. It should be no more than a nominal fee of $10 as the town has no further involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Some municipalities do not require re-roofing permits. Understanding that some people believe that having to get a permit is a money-making venture by a municipality, that anyone should be able to install a roof on their own, this is one dumb-ass individual that could not, nor would not contract the job to anyone but a professional. Reasons:

1. Uncomfortable walking and or working on a roof.

2. Could not manage it on my own with friends that know less than I do and even if one said that he had done some roofs.

3. Would not jeopardize my friends well being knowing first-hand of professional roofers who have fallen off of roofs and or staple-gunned their body parts. Getting friends together to help put a roof and where most likely alcohol drinking will take place is too risky for me.

4. Am more than willing to spend $50 for a permit knowing that the party I contracted has insurance – not fooled by a piece of paper that I would have difficulty recognizing as credible. The town will not issue a permit to an uninsured roofer.

5. A roof is one of the most important structures in a house. I want a quality job done by experts, who are insured and who will guarantee their work.

6. And that $50 comes in handy if a quality job is not performed and the town is requested by the homeowner to inspect the job to ensure codes have been met. And yes, I have heard of that happening on two occasions.

7. Homeowners who have been told by the roofer that they would be getting the permit should know that if they don’t see the permit posted in their window or on a sign somewhere, the roofer has not received a permit and he very well may be uninsured as well.

I don’t know what the fee is for an individual filling out an application that indicates he or she will be doing the work on their own and accepts all liability risks. It should be no more than a nominal fee of $10 as the town has no further involvement.
    I have a fear of heights. My biggest fear is getting back on the ladder after reaching the height. When I was a kid, I used to climb up the ladders onto the railroad cars and run around on top. I always had to jump off because of my fear to get back onto the ladder. I can't bear to look up when I'm holding the ladder for my son when he comes off the roof after hosing out my gutters. So, I would be one to definitely get a permit and hire someone for the roof job, just for peace of mind.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    or staple-gunned their body parts.
    Oh boy, just this past Tuesday while at a brunch with Assemblymen Dave Dipietro, my old partner had to remind me of one time I did just that.... right into my thigh, he did roof top surgery on me using a new razor blade to cut it out.... hahaha

It was nothing but a thing, this coming from someone as a kid who's playground toys were the abandoned grain elevators along the Buffalo river -- BB guns wars a recreational game of fun and riding dirt bikes on railroad property and getting shot at by the RR cops a fun game of chance.

What today, these kids have no idea... Lee what did you do as a kid -- read books? haha just teasing ya old man! I am sure you did plenty of crazy things as a kid. At 54 I am not up to being of roofs any longer. Do have a huge tear off I have to engineer this summer though on one of our Church buildings.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Oh boy, just this past Tuesday while at a brunch with Assemblymen Dave Dipietro, my old partner had to remind me of one time I did just that.... right into my thigh, he did roof top surgery on me using a new razor blade to cut it out.... hahaha

It was nothing but a thing, this coming from someone as a kid who's playground toys were the abandoned grain elevators along the Buffalo river -- BB guns wars a recreational game of fun and riding dirt bikes on railroad property and getting shot at by the RR cops a fun game of chance.

What today, these kids have no idea... Lee what did you do as a kid -- read books? haha just teasing ya old man! I am sure you did plenty of crazy things as a kid. At 54 I am not up to being of roofs any longer. Do have a huge tear off I have to engineer this summer though on one of our Church buildings.
    I was born and raised in the east side of the City of Buffalo (Broadway – Fillmore) and lived in the city when first married.

Was always a voracious reader from an early age on – from comic books to the classics. Spent as much time in a library as fighting and playing sports. Had enough of being kneed in the groin by the late teen year and gave it up when I had a knife pulled on me.

Loved growing up at a time when there was no PC cop around and sensitivities were handled on one-on-one basis.

Was up on roofs many times from an early age on for one reason or another (and sometimes forced to) do so – and was never comfortable when doing so.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    staple-gunned their body parts
    My nephew's wife wrote a book entitled "Another day in the Frontal Lobe". In the book, she shared stories of her times as a neurosurgeon. One of her stories was of a man whose friend accidentally shot a nail into his skull with an automatic nail gun. It was a nail with two copper barbs on the sides of it. After removing part of the skull bone and reinserting it with titanium plates and screws and sewing it up, they closed the scalp using a staple gun.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    My nephew's wife wrote a book entitled "Another day in the Frontal Lobe". In the book, she shared stories of her times as a neurosurgeon. One of her stories was of a man whose friend accidentally shot a nail into his skull with an automatic nail gun. It was a nail with two copper barbs on the sides of it. After removing part of the skull bone and reinserting it with titanium plates and screws and sewing it up, they closed the scalp using a staple gun.
    ....now ..that's hittin' the nail on the head!!

If Lancaster has a policy where homeowners need a permit, then that is the rule to be followed. We insisted on an Umbrella insurance policy for an extra layer of protection when we had our roof replaced. Our contractor was happy to comply. Homeowners insurance may or may not cover accidental falls from a roof during a re-roof.
    That being said, our Building Department here in Lancaster is much too lax. People know full well they can do as they please and get away with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information