Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Roof replacement permits; why and consequences of not having one

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Any structural changes, including roofs, accessory structures, sheds, pools, fences and decks require a building permit to be issued.
    repairing is not changing in my world
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    repairing is not changing in my world
    Mine too granpabob, mine too.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Lee if that is truly the case and this town employee ignored the Code Enforcer's request to halt the project until a permit has been issued, I would suspect some penalty should be issued. I can't believe a town employee would ignore the laws of the town!

Who is this person, anyone know?

I wonder how Mr. Pease feels knowing that a colleague of his dismissed his request?
    Scott Pease should have checked back to see if homeowner complied.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    haha you funny Lee... borderline snobbish, but funny nonetheless.

It is not nonsense, I think a person who thinks it is okay to blow their neighbors in, on something as petty as this, has some personality issues
    Gee Frank, I didn't realize you were a profiler - Plato, Socrates and Freud all rolled into one.

And to think that you consider the person who made a call suspecting a town employee was violating a town ordinance petty, I find difficult to believe considering you posted one time that were a Planning Board member in your municipality. Wait, I take that back. I know of numerous politicos in many municipalities that would not practice what they preach.

haha you funny Lee... borderline snobbish, but funny nonetheless.

It is not nonsense, I think a person who thinks it is okay to blow their neighbors in, on something as petty as this, has some personality issues
    Frank, can you give us some examples of building code laws in your town that you think are "petty" and should be ignored by the residents of your town, and then examples of building code laws in your town you think are not "petty" and must be obeyed?

Where do YOU draw the line?

You two gentlemen are missing the point of what I am saying.

There is no line for me to have to draw. I have a principle, I rule in my areas of authority. Outside my area of authority it is not up to me to rule.

So the petty question has no meaning to me, as far as blowing someone in for building code. It is not up to me. That is what we have a CEO for. That is not my area of authority to rule in.

If I knew my neighbor, (my neighbor for crying out loud) was not following the law I would kindly and respectfully remind him of the law or rule. That is the respectful thing to do. Not blow him in, we called that on the streets being a rat. If you are comfortable being a rat just help yourselves. You think you are some king to rule outside of your area of authority have at it mr king!

I bow to your obstinance.

Lee, my job as a planning board member is to rule/advise on issues brought before the board, not drive all over town and be some sort of planning cop, being on some sort of power trip.

I live by principles men, this "area of authority" is a big principle. I wish more would grasp it, life would be much better overall if they did.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

There is no line for me to have to draw. I have a principle, I rule in my areas of authority. Outside my area of authority it is not up to me to rule.

So the petty question has no meaning to me, as far as blowing someone in for building code. It is not up to me. That is what we have a CEO for. That is not my area of authority to rule in.

If I knew my neighbor, (my neighbor for crying out loud) was not following the law I would kindly and respectfully remind him of the law or rule. That is the respectful thing to do. Not blow him in, we called that on the streets being a rat. If you are comfortable being a rat just help yourselves. You think you are some king to rule outside of your area of authority have at it mr king!

Lee, my job as a planning board member is to rule/advise on issues brought before the board, not drive all over town and be some sort of planning cop, being on some sort of power trip.

I live by principles men, this "area of authority" is a big principle. I wish more would grasp it, life would be much better overall if they did.
    Frank, can you give us some examples of building code laws in your town that you think are "petty" and should be ignored by the residents of your town, and then examples of building code laws in your town you think are not "petty" and must be obeyed?

Where do YOU draw the line?

No you won't uh? Because you realized how idiotic your statement was and how easily it was to corner you on it.

You like to throw around assertions and then run from them, and try to point fingers at others in an attempt to distract from your idiotic statements.

I answered your question sir.

There is no line for me to have to draw as far as building code goes. I have a principle for that, I rule in my areas of authority. Outside my area of authority it is not up to me to rule.

And I will make my point one last time.

I do not know the reason for or the circumstances that led a neighbor to calling in to report the possibility of a roofing project going on without the homeowner having a permit visible – posted in the widow or on a sign somewhere. Neighbor here could mean anyone within the vicinity, not a next door neighbor or acquaintance.

Then take into consideration that the individual having the roof replacement work done is a town employee in an administrative position and where the media just covered the town board meeting on the subject of a permit being required and the consequences of not having one.

Then consider that the work was done on a Sunday where an effort to contact an individual would have no merit as the work was in progress and there was no way a permit could be applied for and received.

Most importantly Frank, my position is that if the town has an ordinance on the books, like it or not, if there is no enforcement that leads to punitive action for violators, be they contractors or homeowners, then the ordinance is useless and should be removed. It is not fair to those who follow the law and should then be considered a money grab.

How does that saying go that some posters use, “They should have known better.” The people you refer to as rats may simply be individuals who have had enough of others screwing the system and then pleading ignorance.

Let us just post facts, opinions, agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Let us just post facts, opinions, agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    Yes sir, that is a good formula. Plus your other suggestion of me minding my own business too.

From today's Buffalo News -

Also, in reading Monday night's agenda, I noticed that the homeowner did seek a roofing permit after the fact.

Georgia L Schlager

I'm not a contractor, but I am an engineer with experience building houses. I can put on a roof better than your average roofing flunkie that's still drunk from the night before. I agree that there should be permits required for structural changes. However, roofing is not structural and I believe that the town should have no say in it. A homeowner should not have to get a permit to work on their own house. But if you read the code you really can't do anything to your own property without paying the town a tax.

Call it a permit fee if you like, but it's just a tax. There should be no permit required for a fence, shed or roof. That being said, if you do decide to do the work on your own, without a permit, you should know what the code says and do the work properly according to code.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information