Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Property taxes are set to increase 30% this year

My son, who lives and owns in Amherst just received an "award" letter from the Town assessors office..he has done nothing to improve the value of his home to force an increase in assessment, since he purchased it 18 months ago, it WENT UP $15000.00!

I am curious, why mine went up $30,000 when this part of town has rediculous traffic, a new 6 story building which completely erridicates all my back yards privacy...

Mayb it's because palidino recieved a nice juicy tax break, and now we must foot the difference.

Curious Joe, what part of Amherst does your kid live in?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

FMD, you began this link by stating that property taxes are going up 30%. Please provide proof for that statement other than your assessment. I would like to see budget documents, cost estimates.....anything you have other than your assessment that shows that taxes, tax levy, tax rate is actually going up. The levy was down this year and I think the rate was fairly stable. I would love to see your proof for a 30% increase. Could it be you're blowing smoke out your a**?

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    I am curious, why mine went up $30,000 when this part of town has rediculous traffic, a new 6 story building which completely erridicates all my back yards privacy...

Mayb it's because palidino recieved a nice juicy tax break, and now we must foot the difference.

Curious Joe, what part of Amherst does your kid live in?
    HEIM ELEMENTARY school area.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    FMD, you began this link by stating that property taxes are going up 30%. Please provide proof for that statement other than your assessment. I would like to see budget documents, cost estimates.....anything you have other than your assessment that shows that taxes, tax levy, tax rate is actually going up. The levy was down this year and I think the rate was fairly stable. I would love to see your proof for a 30% increase. Could it be you're blowing smoke out your a**?
    His assessment increased by quite a bit. Sound like an increase of 30%... would that basically raise your cost to live in Amherst upwards of 30%?

The cost to live in Amherst includes a host of other factors besides taxes. So the cost to live there may go up more or less, who knows? But the fact that one's assessment goes up by a certain amount, by itself, tells you little about what will happen to your taxes. You would have to know how that compares with assessment changes to other properties. But what is most important is how much the town spends and has to raise in taxes. If spending is cut taxes may fall for everyone. Assessment is only one part of it.

considering that my taxes are tied to my assessed value, that means MY taxes will increase by 30% since taxes are based upon 100% FMV.

another words, because the two hotels got hefty tax breaks on their projects that no one wanted, 1/3 of the town now has to make up their shortfall.

You began this by saying property taxes are set to increase 30% this year. And all you have to base it on is your assessment? That's a good one! Hope you're enjoying the new hotel. If they're staring down at you buy binoculars and stare back up at them. That'll teach 'em!

So move. That's exactly what I'm doing. I can't tolerate the stupidity in spending in Lancaster, so I'm leaving the town.

My taxes have increased 62% in the 9 years that I have lived there. From $4200 in 2005 to $6800 currently.

Im moving as well

Good for you. More people should.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    So move. That's exactly what I'm doing. I can't tolerate the stupidity in spending in Lancaster, so I'm leaving the town.

My taxes have increased 62% in the 9 years that I have lived there. From $4200 in 2005 to $6800 currently.
    Boy you are ungrateful All those services you get in your town and your complaining about paying $6800 a year in taxes.

whens that new rug showing up Res? My dogs will need to pee.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Im moving as well
    Me too, people in WNY are the proverbial frogs in the slow boil.

Where is everyone going? I've got my eye on North Carolina, but inland, not near the ocean. Maybe Raleigh...I understand they hate Sabre fans. It'd be a kick in the ass to go to their games when the Sabes are in town.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information