Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Clarence BOE pass budget

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Do they?

has anyone actually confirmed this?

Are revenue sources different in other state yet spending per student is the same?

A large part of our taxes on our home is school tax. If the state paid for education the cost to live in my home would prob be 1/2.

Quick search came up with this:

Total expenditures for public elementary and secondary schools in the United States amounted to $632 billion in 2010–11, or $12,608 per public school student (in constant 2012–13 dollars, based on the Consumer Price Index). These expenditures include $11,153 per student in current expenditures for operation of schools; $1,076 for capital outlay (i.e., expenditures for property and for buildings and alterations completed by school district staff or contractors); and $379 for interest on school debt.
    http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66

Clarence does it for around $18,000 and that does not include the capital outlay.

BPS must hold a world record at $28k

Here is an interesting site too: Of course NY way up on the top of this list.

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/2663/...education.html
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; November 12th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here is an item people don't think about.

When a government employee wants a raise that will cost property/business owners a tax increase the employee always comes out ahead of the deal even when their own property taxes increases.

When you hear a government employee say "Well my taxes are going up to you know!"

Let say you live in Cheektowaga paying $5500 a year property taxes.

We will take an employee who is paid $110,000 a year.

Let's say the base of that salary is 80,000. I consider salary the entire package paid out. The base - the cost of the heath care package - what is paid towards pension/bene costs. The cost to the consumer.

They demand a 3% raise.

$80,000 X .03% = $2400

If those raises cause the property owners taxes to increase by 2% (just an example) your $5500 increases by $110 a year for the time you live in that home. Hopefully I plan to live in my home until i'm old and gray. I'm 50. Lets say I live until I'm 90. I have 40 more years to go. 40 years X $110 = $4400 charged to me to live in the home for the rest of my life.

That employee happens to pay $5500 a year to in taxes. They don't care that it went up $110 because they net $2290.00 out of the deal.

You know, there are cheaper places to live. If people supposedly move out to the suburbs to have "good schools", once their kids are older, they are free to move somewhere else. Why should an older married couple occupy the same space that the same family of four once had? Seems ridiculous. I live in 1600 sq. ft. with my family of five. I don't live beyond my means. Why should I shoulder someone else's extravagant lifestyle? You pay $5500 in taxes because you WANT (not need) a certain lifestyle, so stop complaining. You could easily find places with smaller square footage and lower taxes in Genesee County, etc., so spare me the woe is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    You know, there are cheaper places to live. If people supposedly move out to the suburbs to have "good schools", once their kids are older, they are free to move somewhere else. Why should an older married couple occupy the same space that the same family of four once had? Seems ridiculous. I live in 1600 sq. ft. with my family of five. I don't live beyond my means. Why should I shoulder someone else's extravagant lifestyle? You pay $5500 in taxes because you WANT (not need) a certain lifestyle, so stop complaining. You could easily find places with smaller square footage and lower taxes in Genesee County, etc., so spare me the woe is me.
    You know, there are 49 other states in the union that can somehow do it more efficiently. NY is $8,000 above the national average cost to "educate" a student per year. Why should a family who spent their whole lives building a home have to move out so that they can pay your fat salary, pension and benefits. Why should someone have to give up a lifetime of hard work so you can get your fat salary, pension and benefits.When are you going to provide a pension for me? Why should ANYONE have to give up their life savings to pay for your greed. You have a part time job. You wouldn't know a real days work if it hit you between the eyeballs. Why should someone with no kids or one kid pay the same as you do with your litter? I see how it is with you greedy pricks. Keep digging a hole for yourself. The rest of us are tired of catering to you.

"GIVE UP YOUR HOUSE AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO PAY MY WAY!"

How about the ****ing teachers who take their pensions and move out of state leaving NO residual income for the remaining businesses here?
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; November 13th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.

Genoobie, we don't always agree (actually almost never) but you're right on this one. People can take steps to lower their tax burden, including moving. We've seen that in spades in upstate NY over the last 50 years as people and businesses have fled NY by the thousands. Personally, I'm happy in Amherst even if our taxes are higher than I might wish. We get top of the line services, including an excellent highway dept, certainly the best police force in western NY, town depts with well trained, competent professional staff, good recreational facilities and on it goes. Is everything perfect? Of course not! But You won't find me packing up and moving into the cess pool that we call Buffalo even if it's "reinventing itself" and "rebounding" for at least the 5th time since I moved here over 30 years ago. As for the size of my house I realized long ago that, try as I might, I can only effectively be in one room at a time. So 2000 sq ft or 20000 never mattered much to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    You know, there are 49 other states in the union that can somehow do it more efficiently. NY is $8,000 above the national average cost to "educate" a student per year. Why should a family who spent their whole lives building a home have to move out so that they can pay your fat salary, pension and benefits. Why should someone have to give up a lifetime of hard work so you can get your fat salary, pension and benefits.When are you going to provide a pension for me? Why should ANYONE have to give up their life savings to pay for your greed. You have a part time job. You wouldn't know a real days work if it hit you between the eyeballs. Why should someone with no kids or one kid pay the same as you do with your litter? I see how it is with you greedy pricks. Keep digging a hole for yourself. The rest of us are tired of catering to you.

"GIVE UP YOUR HOUSE AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO PAY MY WAY!"

How about the ****ing teachers who take their pensions and move out of state leaving NO residual income for the remaining businesses here?
    Just look at municipalities in California, Cities of Harrisburg, Detroit.

You can pay out the yin yang until there is no more cash or you have taxed the sh## out of the citizenry. Eventually people just say screw it and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Genoobie, we don't always agree (actually almost never) but you're right on this one. People can take steps to lower their tax burden, including moving. We've seen that in spades in upstate NY over the last 50 years as people and businesses have fled NY by the thousands. Personally, I'm happy in Amherst even if our taxes are higher than I might wish. We get top of the line services, including an excellent highway dept, certainly the best police force in western NY, town depts with well trained, competent professional staff, good recreational facilities and on it goes. Is everything perfect? Of course not! But You won't find me packing up and moving into the cess pool that we call Buffalo even if it's "reinventing itself" and "rebounding" for at least the 5th time since I moved here over 30 years ago. As for the size of my house I realized long ago that, try as I might, I can only effectively be in one room at a time. So 2000 sq ft or 20000 never mattered much to me.
    Doesn't it bother you to know that even though you can downsize your property taxes in NY are still more than the national average? Just because somebody goes from 8k to 4k doesn't mean their not taking it somewhere..

The only answer is to move to a low tax state as many financial experts and planners recommend. A state where the politicians are not beholden to public service unions. What's even more screwed up is the median family income and net worth has shrunk yet the public servants demand raises... It's called reality folks.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Doesn't it bother you to know that even though you can downsize your property taxes in NY are still more than the national average? Just because somebody goes from 8k to 4k doesn't mean their not taking it somewhere..
    This is why monopolies of services are not good for communities.

Grump
    In what sense are you comparing "top of the line services"?

Roads get plowed, trash is picked up and when you flush your toilet empties. Right? Yes I'm simplifying this but the basic idea is there.

Does this stuff happen in other states? Or are these top of the line services only available in New York State?

I know my roads are plowed in Cheektowaga, trash is picked up and when I flush my toilet empties.

I don't see any reason why I should pay a group of people with a monopoly of services more than another group of people who can do the service.

When a government employee or political party officer says "If you don't like it move" that is just BS.

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I'm content with my life in Amherst compared to Buffalo, Cheektowaga, Lackawanna or other such places in WNY. Obviously, taxes are lower and services are provided less expensively elsewhere. As I said in my last post people have been voting with their feet for the last 50 years by leaving upstate NY and the trend continues unabated. I haven't visited everywhere else but in most places the toilets do seem to flush ok. And despite the crappola spread by NYSUT, I've had business dealings with people in many other states and most of them can read, write, add & subtract a little bit. Which is more than can be said for many who suffer through the BPS.

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I'm content with my life in Amherst compared to Buffalo, Cheektowaga, Lackawanna or other such places in WNY. Obviously, taxes are lower and services are provided less expensively elsewhere. As I said in my last post people have been voting with their feet for the last 50 years by leaving upstate NY and the trend continues unabated. I haven't visited everywhere else but in most places the toilets do seem to flush ok. And despite the crappola spread by NYSUT, I've had business dealings with people in many other states and most of them can read, write, add & subtract a little bit. Which is more than can be said for many who suffer through the BPS.
    So either these people are smarter for leaving,, or making a mistake,,, In general of course. Providing of course it is not for a job etc.
    Last edited by Save Us; November 13th, 2014 at 03:13 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Better answer

Save us, if it was a mistake they'd all be coming back which they're not despite the Buffalo News stories about some hapless souls who came back because they couldn't live without **** fill in the blank. WNY, why thank you!

Save us, if it was a mistake they'd all be coming back which they're not despite the Buffalo News stories about some hapless souls who came back because they couldn't live without **** fill in the blank. WNY, why thank you!

Correct we would be gaining population.
    What most of these Cretins don't understand is the direct correlation between cost of living taxes and migration due to those factors, add in where companies decide to expand or locate for providing jobs and you have NY and New Jersey which are at the bottom of the list for economic growth and the top of the list for taxes... Coincidence? I think not. ,

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    the top of the list for taxes.
    You mean top of the list for some. Just saw a StartUpNY commercial that advertised no property taxes, no sales taxes and no income taxes. The rest of us are stuck with making up for what they don't pay.

What is the reason behind all these school propositions this year? Everybody got to have astroturf now?

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Voters in two school districts weighed in on projects Tuesday night.

Voters in the Starpoint Central School District said “yes” to a capital improvement project. Officials will now move forward with $15 million worth of renovations.

The updates will include fixing electrical wiring that is decades old, and upgrading technology in schools.

In the Holland Central School District, voters said “no” to $13 million in projects.

It would have meant a new roof at the elementary school, replacing the windows at the high school, and installing new athletic turf.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information