Thread: Buffalo police, firefighters clash

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Buffalo police, firefighters clash

Buffalo police, firefighters clash over right to administer anti-heroin drug

Buffalo firefighters believe they have the exclusive right to administer Narcan, a lifesaving antidote to forestall the effects of heroin and prescription painkiller overdoses.
    Read the whole story in the Buffalo News

Buffalo police who have begun carrying the antidote argue that they have been given additional duties without a chance to negotiate the extra work their bosses say can save lives.
    What extra work? Are they clocking more time?

But firefighters say it’s their job to act as first responders when it comes to medical emergencies.
    If the police don't mind doing it why would the firefighters stand in the way about it?

It is all about about money isn't it. Not doing the right thing for the community.

City spokesman Michael J. DeGeorge added, “At the end of the day, saving lives and public safety trumps everything else.”
    Apparently not.

Cops do CPR. Some carry defibs.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    (snip)
    It is all about about money isn't it. (Not doing the right thing for the community.)
    (snip)
    Knowing several of each closely, the answer to that is a resounding YES. It is ALWAYS about the money PERIOD! The serve and for the people mantra is a crock... a ruse to get more more more.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

The BFD and BPD are two great entities. It seems to me BFD should be the administers of the drug. If BPD is forced to do it too that should be negotiated. Should the BFD start carrying guns. Should the BPD start carrying fire ext to start putting out a house fire. Personally I believe this drug dispensing should be a job for the fire dept. Both entities get to scenes about the same time. Have those most qualified dispense the drug.

Totally agree with "Fp2206" - these are two distinct service providers - Law enforcement - Fire/Recuse Responders.

The Police have specific duties to perform - Fire Fighters/First Responders perform fire suppression and basic/advanced First Aid. I am not denigrating either - they both have a hard enough job to perform.

As far as "Negotiating" for more pay - there's no actual need . Let the Fire Department do it - the Fire Department is better equipped for this duty.

Last point - Buffalo Fire Department should do ambulance work - this would bring in millions of dollars a year to help offset the costs of fire services.

But then again - if you remember when Gov Cuomo was recently seen on TV - a Rural Metro member was front and center in the crowd of supporters !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Then police should not run into burning buildings to save people, they should wait for the fire department?

Whoever gets there first, the BPD or the BFD should administer the anti-heroin medicine (in a perfect world, the EMT's would arrive first...), but we know there will eventually be lawsuits against either should a person die. That written, I hope there's an exemption for them not to be sued before they use this, and I don't blame them if it's about wanting more money for this, it's a brand new "field" for them to tackle, they're not MD's...
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Quote Originally Posted by fp2206 View Post
    If BPD is forced to do it too that should be negotiated.

This is the issue for me.

With the BPD, you have an large force but only a % would really find themselves in a situation where they would need to administer the drug. However, and this is an assumption, the contract negotiations would probably have every officer compensated for the ability to administer. Essentially wasting money.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They not wasting "their" money. This is an issue throughout "Government Inc" services. The "wasting of money" doesn't effect their salaries. Definitely effects ours. We end up keeping less of what we earn because of the higher costs associated with this waste by way of higher taxes

It's a battle over prestige or money. I remember cops getting upset because a volunteer EMT/ Paramedic group were using
    BLUE flashing lights......

So is it some sort of prestige thing or money? Not that giving nallorphine, or naloxone is anything to crow about!

This one is a no brainer yet the confusion... ??? Both should be able to use, with no changes needing be made 'cept teach the police how to use it.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Thread Information