Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Common Core Standards Testing deemed child abuse - again

mikenold;1349642]What better way to brainwash a generation than to set a curriculum of brainwashing material and force the children to regurgitate the material or fail the test! Common Core is insidious government brainwashing which has been sold as a better way to educate. Our children deserve better.
    Gee Mike, that sounds like what I had to do eons ago. Failing tests years ago had consequences. Not in today’s world.

Common Core is insidious government brainwashing which has been sold as a better way to educate. Our children deserve better.
    And you know that the curriculum is insidious and all about brainwashing, how Mike? Are you a teacher? Is your wife a teacher? Do you have family members that are teachers? Or just quoting what you read?

The grumbling has run the gamete from the tests are too long, the tests are too hard, the kids are too stressed, the tests are poorly written, the tests have no value, too much time is spent on teaching to the tests, teachers should not be evaluated on CCLS test results, the school districts are going along for the money, the ‘sit and stare’ policy is child abuse, and now brainwashing.

If its political brainwashing Mike, then the kids will be better prepared for the liberal BS they will receive in the elitist liberal universities, learn to believe everything they read in the liberal mainstream media and come to understand how progressive liberalism has made our country all the better for it; and then they can try to sell it all to all those that have some understanding what’s taking place in the real world.

Parents should have their children spend some time learning what’s happening in the world today by reading newspapers… never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    And you know that the curriculum is insidious and all about brainwashing, how Mike? Are you a teacher? Is your wife a teacher? Do you have family members that are teachers? Or just quoting what you read?
    Lee, this argument of yours is getting rather old, I said it once, I said it again, I will say it once more -- one does not have to step in a pile of dog doo doo to know it stinks. This common core stinks!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    The wings are falling of the plane that they "were building while flying it". Crash and burn. My hope is that meaningful reform will come out of this mess.

Incidentally, the CCLS questions that Pearson puts out were not field tested and reviewed by teachers (in NY or other states).

Funny, if test scores are no longer significant, what will you use to sell real estate?
    Duck and cover - there goes another NYSED airplane wing. Rochester teachers filed a lawsuit last month based upon invalid test scores and "junk science" evaluation formulas. Syracuse teachers file similar lawsuit regarding APPR - read about it here: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...on_system.html

Gee Mike, that sounds like what I had to do eons ago. Failing tests years ago had consequences. Not in today’s world.
    I agree with you here.

I have read a lot, talked to students, teachers, administrators and parents. Oh, my Bachelor's degree in Mathematics/Secondary Education.

The grumbling has run the gamete from the tests are too long, the tests are too hard, the kids are too stressed, the tests are poorly written, the tests have no value, too much time is spent on teaching to the tests, teachers should not be evaluated on CCLS test results, the school districts are going along for the money, the ‘sit and stare’ policy is child abuse, and now brainwashing.
    So you have heard from people and yet you ignore what they are grumbling about?

If its political brainwashing Mike, then the kids will be better prepared for the liberal BS they will receive in the elitist liberal universities, learn to believe everything they read in the liberal mainstream media and come to understand how progressive liberalism has made our country all the better for it; and then they can try to sell it all to all those that have some understanding what’s taking place in the real world.
    Are you saying that the children brainwashed by the Hitler re-education policy were better prepared to tell the BS? Sorry to break it to you but they dutifully turned their parents in to the SS if they talked against Das Fuhrer! I am in complete disagreement regarding the progressive liberal agenda. This is what is destroying our relationships, families and the very country that I grew up in and love! Did you happen to check out the link in my post#60? The progressive liberal agenda is wrong and just plain evil!

Parents should have their children spend some time learning what’s happening in the world today by reading newspapers… never mind.
    The kids used to spend time with parents, like dinner every night but then the progressive liberals shoved the woman out of the home to work and caused the children to disrespect everyone including their parents! The Buffalo snooze, that progressive liberal rag. It is only good for wrapping glasses and dishes for the move. I think you know this and is why you said never mind. Please go read the Post#60.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Lee, this argument of yours is getting rather old, I said it once, I said it again, I will say it once more -- one does not have to step in a pile of dog doo doo to know it stinks. This common core stinks!
    That's it Frank? That's all you have?

Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    Duck and cover - there goes another NYSED airplane wing. Rochester teachers filed a lawsuit last month based upon invalid test scores and "junk science" evaluation formulas. Syracuse teachers file similar lawsuit regarding APPR - read about it here: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...on_system.html
    Ah, we come full circle and get to see who really is trashing the CCLs process, namely teacher unions. If the teachers and teacher unions have a problem with the evaluation process and have good reason to challenge the process then should proceed without trashing common core curiculum and the school districts; and by using parents and chilren as pawns with their scare tactics.

Ah, we come full circle and get to see who really is trashing the CCLs process, namely teacher unions. If the teachers and teacher unions have a problem with the evaluation process and have good reason to challenge the process then should proceed without trashing common core curiculum and the school districts; and by using parents and chilren as pawns with their scare tactics.
    Is that all you've got? I never said I opposed testing, or evaluation, or rigorous curriculum. Not trying to "scare" anyone, but simply calling the CCLS what it is. A tepid attempt to reform education. Use tests, make sure that they truly inform instruction, why report the results? How does this help any school to improve? All competition begets in this instance is schools that are "marketable". They look great on paper but do precious little to educate kids. I have friends who teach in Lancaster who say the pressure to inflate grades is very intense. Yep. Look great on paper though. That's what some parents have come to expect from their schools. Rubber stamp them along.

Hey Mike:

I guess we run in different circles as we both have talked to educators, parents and students re CCLS. I am not hearing the grumbling you accuse me of hearing. The grumbling I hear comes from the 4 disgruntled parents who regularly showed up at school board meetings and from reading media reports that favor writing on the CCLS opposition as controversy is what the media feasts on to sell its wares.

The insidious remark and the Hitler comparison is overboard Mike. We both dislike what is happening to this country in regards the direction it is taking. It was extremely difficult to swallow what our fearless leader had to say today, telling how wonderful everything is going and that his party candidates have good reason to run on his accomplishments. His words will be parroted by the fawning media and cherished by his supporters, but he is losing many of those supporters Mike as his nose continues to grow. But Hitler, Mike? A bit much.

I can post as much material on the positives of CCLS as those who post reports opposing it. We shall shortly see where all this leads to.

Originally posted by mikenold:
    The kids used to spend time with parents, like dinner every night but then the progressive liberals shoved the woman out of the home to work and caused the children to disrespect everyone including their parents!
    Don't you think parenting had anything to do with it? Schools don't raise children; parents do.

Georgia L Schlager

Hey Mike:

I guess we run in different circles as we both have talked to educators, parents and students re CCLS. I am not hearing the grumbling you accuse me of hearing. The grumbling I hear comes from the 4 disgruntled parents who regularly showed up at school board meetings and from reading media reports that favor writing on the CCLS opposition as controversy is what the media feasts on to sell its wares.

The insidious remark and the Hitler comparison is overboard Mike. We both dislike what is happening to this country in regards the direction it is taking. It was extremely difficult to swallow what our fearless leader had to say today, telling how wonderful everything is going and that his party candidates have good reason to run on his accomplishments. His words will be parroted by the fawning media and cherished by his supporters, but he is losing many of those supporters Mike as his nose continues to grow. But Hitler, Mike? A bit much.

I can post as much material on the positives of CCLS as those who post reports opposing it. We shall shortly see where all this leads to.
    I was simply making a comparison with what Hitler did in education and what the progressive liberals are doing here. It is too similar to ignore! Unfortunately Hitler was successful because nobody questioned his plan and it seems that history is repeating itself here.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Don't you think parenting had anything to do with it? Schools don't raise children; parents do.
    You didn't read the article from post#60. The curriculum separates the parent and child and pits one against the other. It was designed to do this. Insidious!

That's it Frank? That's all you have?

Yawn.
    Take a nap if you are tired.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Inbloom - data mining company sponsored by Bill Gates to store and sell private student data for profit has folded due to public / parental outrage. Looks like another part has fallen off of NYSED's plane being built in "flight." Read the story here: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

It's a marginal gain. NYSED will just create an in-house version of InBloom's proposal. It will be more expensive, and the data collected on kids will still be for sale to Pearson, et. al.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/m...drick-20140522

Those who see the merit of the common core curriculum will likely concur with the My View article and agree with the only opinion post that followed the Buffalo News report:

“Thanks for the calm rational view of the Common Core situation. Very refreshing to hear a practitioner embrace what so many have lambasted.”

What I found interesting in the opinion article and what most people forget is the following as to who had input into the design of the curriculum:

“The governors, teachers and educational leaders who wrote the Common Core felt the same way, and decided to do something about it.”

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information