Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cuomo talks buyouts for West Seneca flood victims

Buying on or near water and in a flood plain was still risky 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Buying on or near water and in a flood plain was still risky 50 years ago.
    First thing I thought when I read that post. 100 year flood plane in just that 100 years.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Go here - http://gis1.erie.gov/Geocortex/Essen...reloadkey=true

Search by address - Lexington Grn

Hit the different layers -DEC wetlands, National wetlands, All the FeMA flood layers, etc

Georgia L Schlager

As you now see in West Seneca - like Lancaster local officials failed to follow Corps

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Both parties are to blame! R and D.

These town boards require such studies like traffic studies prior to approval, problem is NO ONE bothers to read them!
    Your point is valid - but the Towns first step of cutting out the County and other responsible agencies is their Environmental Review. The Town Officials claim whats called a "Neg Dec" - what that means is the Town and Planning Board feel there will be no negative affect caused by said development.

Then they tell the County the Town wants to be "Lead Agency" on the project's approval process. Then if granted and it usually is - the Town doesn't have to involve other agencies any further for approvals.

The Town washes their hands by claiming, "We did a traffic study - We did a wetlands study - and so on" - that's not actually true. In most cases they accept the information the developer provides them. Most often than not these studies are incomplete - or they are the product of a Company hired by the developer.

Its just like most everything else that is controlled by the dominate party - it all hings on who you contribute to. The Zoning and Planning Boards are members of the controlling party - or at least the majority of voting members are. They are appointed by the same people who receive donations from the developers.

So once again the review process, the permits and approvals are all controlled by the same like minded group. The Towns Engineer, the Building inspectors - all appointed by the same group of Party Players and paid with home owners tax dollars.

They don't care if theres flooding years after - they don't care about the quality of roads or sewer and water lines - the home owners taxes will pay to correct all those issues in the future.

Politicians cant be held accountable or sued and even if they are - tax payers pay for their insurance - tax payers pay for their legal fees and lawyers. The developer moves on to his next project - as long as his last one doesn't get too much attention all is well.

Most people buying homes are just so happy to get one - and think about it - if its new in a nice new subdivision they expect no issues ! They just take a leap of faith and believe the proper planning was done.

If there are foundation issues, faulty drainage or sewer problems - low water pressure it will be years before enough people complain. When they do they get told - "No one else is complaining - first time we heard about - you know this could affect your resale value if to many people know" - So, most of us just buy more dry lock - install more drain tiles - ad a electric pump to improve water pressure and quietly have a contractor patch the basement walls.

That's what the Politicians depend on -

SPEAK UP - BE HEARD and HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE -

Last point : As you now see in West Seneca - like Lancaster local officials failed to follow Corps of Engineers Studies.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Go here - http://gis1.erie.gov/Geocortex/Essen...reloadkey=true

Search by address - Lexington Grn

Hit the different layers -DEC wetlands, National wetlands, All the FeMA flood layers, etc
    Pretty evident...
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Oh, there you are 4248...let me tell you how shocked I am to see you didn't answer my question. Empty heads and all that jazz...
    But you worked party players in to a post again so that's got to count for something. You're the best.

I don't think the town and county who allowed these people to live there cut them any breaks on their taxes for living where they do. The first thing I would do if I were in their position is to challenge the tax assessments because clearly the homes are not worth what they were being taxed on.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

15% off taxes? I hope that person is full of ****.
    Rewarding stupidity and/or risky behavior is the new normal. Take note, average joe, doing things the right way makes you a stooge...game the system. Never do the right thing, it's for saps and chumps.

How has this been working out?

In the Town of West Seneca, a floodplain management ordinance is in effect that restricts construction within the floodprone areas. A flood control structure was built along the Buffalo River south of Casimer Street; however it does not provide protection against the 1% annual-chance flood event. (FEMA, Town of West Seneca, 1992).

https://www.rampp-team.com/county_ma...is_tables1.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks for that link.
    I have no idea how much new construction has taken place in flood prone areas since that declaration, or what "restricts" means (assuming it restricts it to the politically unconnected).

That link also mentions that 1% annual chance floods can/have happened more than once in any given year. Sometimes the conditions are ripe. The extreme cold produces massive amounts of thick ice. Then the quick thaw (and flood) followed by extreme cold and another sheet of thick ice. The ice from the original flood was still lining the banks in my hood...the "new ice" didn't have a whole lot of places to go. It looks like a war zone back there now. Almost unrecognizable.

Yes I have factual basis. I have names of homeowners who were there since late 60's and early 70's. You can do you own homework on the history of flooding in that area.I have nothing to gain by a lawsuit for I do not live in west seneca.Common sense points the finger at the Corp for being the responsible party. They even admit it. Lastly do you really think that the builder back then who's name starts with a P would have built houses there if a active flood plain. The street flooding there started decades later. You(fisher) may have a hard time believing it ,why, I have no idea. The town supervisor Sheila Meegan or affected homeowners should consult with a attorney. Let the attorney decide if a lawsuit is viable.
    Last edited by twain; March 2nd, 2014 at 11:50 AM.

Well twain, I hate to burst your bubble but that area has flooded for decades. Including the 60s and prior.

You seem to believe emotion trumps facts and common sense. Don't worry, there are plenty of people like you.

I imagine you missed the direct questions I asked. Or perhaps you saw them and realized answering them would put your emotional appeal in jeopardy...
    The people that live there aren't completely stupid. They realized a home near a major creek with a history of floods, and a flood insurance requirement may some day really flood them out. Well, it happened, and now they're ticked...at somebody other than themselves...it's human nature to want to blame others for your errors and risks. Too bad assigning blame to others doesn't fix their self imposed problems.

4248... Where did you run off to? Coward.

Cayuga Creek - Ellicott Creek long history of floods

Notice the dates - 1947 - so they knew there were major flooding issues years before the 1940's.

When Ellicott Creek between Pavement Road west to Bowmansville - I believe it was in 1954 - they County acknowledge further clearing and creek maintainance would be done by the Erie Counyy - neither the Town of Lancaster or the County of Erie ever lived up to that promise.
    Heres a part of a DEC Report: Lancaster Flood Damage Reduction Project

The placement of concrete riprap slope paving; and making miscellaneous alterations to storm water and sanitary sewers was done during the period from June 1947 to January 1949, by contract with the Bison Contracting Corporation of Buffalo, New York.

Final inspection of the project revealed the necessity for minor grading and seeding. The contractor completed the necessary seeding and grading during May 1949. Furnishing pumps, panel boards, controllers, indicators, and related equipment was constructed during the period from December 1947 to April 1948 with various suppliers, dependent upon the nature and type of equipment required.

Installation of the pumps and related electrical equipment was done during the period from January 1949 to July 1949, by contract with the Robertson Electric company of Buffalo, New York.

Cayuga Creek at Lancaster PROTECTION PROVIDED

The authorized plan of flood protection on Cayuga Creek at Lancaster, New York, is based on the alleviation of flood damages in this area. Cayuga Creek meanders through Lancaster and Depew and developments on the banks have been periodically flooded by both spring and summer floods. The constructed protective works provide only limited protection, as it was not economically feasible to protect against extremely high flood stages. The project is designed to protect the Village against a discharge of 18,000 c.f.s., which is the estimated peak discharge of the maximum flood of record that occurred on June 21st, 1937.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Well twain, I hate to burst your bubble but that area has flooded for decades. Including the 60s and prior.

You seem to believe emotion trumps facts and common sense. Don't worry, there are plenty of people like you.

I imagine you missed the direct questions I asked. Or perhaps you saw them and realized answering them would put your emotional appeal in jeopardy...
    The people that live there aren't completely stupid. They realized a home near a major creek with a history of floods, and a flood insurance requirement may some day really flood them out. Well, it happened, and now they're ticked...at somebody other than themselves...it's human nature to want to blame others for your errors and risks. Too bad assigning blame to others doesn't fix their self imposed problems.
    Do you actually think the town of west seneca had houses built there when they knew it was going to be flooding all the time. That part of mineral springs rd has changed drastically since the 70's. Sure hope someday you don't need community help,you throw out a anchor instead of a life vest. Good grief .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information