Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cuomo talks buyouts for West Seneca flood victims

While I agree that responsibility lies with the Corps. of Engineers, they are not solely responsible. The towns and municipalities along these water routes which includes, but is not limited to, West Seneca has consistently found no significant impact to the environment from projects that boarder these waters. Just as an example look at Canisius Athletic Fields where Canisius stated in its EAF that they would be dumping 100s of thousands of gallons of water on the site. These municipalities need to scrutinize these projects more and not be a mere rubber stamp.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    The responsibility seems to lie with the Army Corps. I am suprised Sheila Meegan has not brought up the idea holding the Army Corp responsible for not doing a thing in the last few years to stop this flooding. Sheila Meegan should talk to lawyers about suing the Army Corp.This is not some impossible problem to solve. Its just that the Army Corp has turned a deaf ear to these residents.Years ago a very similiar problem was happening with ellicott creek in amherst. Now we hear nothing on ellicott creek flooding in the sweethome area.The government redesigned that area and the problem was gone. It seems a lawsuit against the army corp may be the only way to take care of this problem. A lot of you say they should have flood insurance. Well having flood ins does not stop your house from flooding. These houses should not have been built there 50 yrs ago. This was a flood plain. But the town officials let developers built houses there when they had to know major flooding could happen. These people live in fear that they may actually drown sleeping in their own beds. The answer is hire a lawyer and bring either a mass lawsuit or a individual lawsuit. It hurts nothing to talk to a lawyer. Some of you say they should sell their home then, do you actually think they will get a fair price.The Army Corp holds the responsibility , time to have a lawyer speak to them.
    I can only hope lawyers for the town have looked in to it.
    Insurance isn't meant to prevent anything. It's there to help things get back to normal when bad things happen. What prevents your house from being flooded is not buying a house in a flood zone or right next to a major waterway.
    As for suing the corps I'll defer to just about everyone. I don't know a thing about them. What would you sue them for? What have they negligently done? If they set the flood plane (one hundred years) and it flooded it seems to me they were spot on.

Those people chose to live in a flood plane, like me. They shouldn't be angry at anyone other than themselves. If there is something I don't know regarding that particular flood plane or neighborhood, I apologize up front. I'm just adding my two cents in general.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    While I agree that responsibility lies with the Corps. of Engineers, they are not solely responsible. The towns and municipalities along these water routes which includes, but is not limited to, West Seneca has consistently found no significant impact to the environment from projects that boarder these waters. Just as an example look at Canisius Athletic Fields where Canisius stated in its EAF that they would be dumping 100s of thousands of gallons of water on the site. These municipalities need to scrutinize these projects more and not be a mere rubber stamp.
    I blame the towns and developers first, the home owner second. If the corps tells you where the 100 year flood plane is then why are they to blame for the flood? As I stated above, I have no idea what they are or aren't obligated to do, or how often to do it. What do you blame them for?

I blame the municipalities for not conducting adequate environmental reviews prior to issuing site plan approvals and building permits in these areas. It is the municipalities that control zoning and building issues.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I blame the municipalities for not conducting adequate environmental reviews prior to issuing site plan approvals and building permits in these areas. It is the municipalities that control zoning and building issues.
    I agree. I was under the impression you believe the army corps of engineers was also responsible.

I should point out that the flood must be devastating for all involved. My intention is not to rub salt, but that's how I bet it comes off to those involved. Apologies for being blunt.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So who "are" the municipalities? Do you mean town boards?

As for Towns yes, the town and planning boards.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    As for Towns yes, the town and planning boards.
    So in West Seneca which political party for the most part has controlled the town board and planning boards? I'm pretty sure in Cheektowaga and Lancaster it has been card carrying registered Erie County Democrats. I think Amherst and Clarence have been the Erie County Republican party.

Both parties are to blame! R and D.

These town boards require such studies like traffic studies prior to approval, problem is NO ONE bothers to read them!
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    What is this strange political need to bailout stupid people and people that caused their own problems through greed and/or stupidity?

You live near running water, fools. Everyone knows what happens when it thaws or rains heavily. If you didn't do your due diligence prior to buying tough **** for you.

Big daddy guberment to the rescue...unless of course you've done the right things in life. Then you just live with the satisfaction you aren't a tard that can't take care of yourself.

The bar is continually lowered and there never seems to be negative consequences for the stupid. If you do everything right and by the book, you will be rewarded in the form of paying for retard's mistakes.
    What happened to you??
    At what point did you start posting things that make sense??

Must be the drugs....
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So in West Seneca which political party for the most part has controlled the town board and planning boards? I'm pretty sure in Cheektowaga and Lancaster it has been card carrying registered Erie County Democrats. I think Amherst and Clarence have been the Erie County Republican party.
    Your constant attempts to bait people into not just arguing political party, buy generally politicizing everything in almost every post you make is pretty ridiculous
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Your constant attempts to bait people into not just arguing political party, buy generally politicizing everything in almost every post you make is pretty ridiculous
    I do not look at it like that at all. He is just trying to keep this in front of everyone's noses. Most seem to forget this stuff come pull the level day.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Lexington green was built in the late 60's.At that time there was no flooding. To blame homeowners for buying near a creek 50 yrs ago is wrong.With continued building in that area over the years there is more water runoff there for now flooding. The Army corp is responsible for creeks . This area of buffalo creek has been flooding for the last 10 yrs.What has the responsible party(Army Corp) done to prevent this , NOTHING that has prevented the flooding. If some private person or corporation owned this creek you can bet there would already be a lawsuit started.It seems the responsible party still feels they do not have to do a thing. A lawsuit may be the only way to get them moving on correcting this flood problem. If you are involved in one of the damaged homes ask Sheila Meegan if she is thinking lawsuit. If not you can start a lawsuit. I am sure the 888-8888 attorneys would be happy to speak to you or any attorney who can handle a large lawsuit.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has approximately 37,000 dedicated Civilians and Soldiers delivering engineering services to customers in more than 130 countries worldwide.
    With environmental sustainability as a guiding principle, our disciplined Corps team is working diligently to strengthen our Nation’s security by building and maintaining America’s infrastructure and providing military facilities where our servicemembers train, work and live. We are also researching and developing technology for our war fighters while protecting America’s interests abroad by using our engineering expertise to promote stability and improve quality of life.
    We are energizing the economy by dredging America’s waterways to support the movement of critical commodities and providing recreation opportunities at our campgrounds, lakes and marinas.
    And by devising hurricane and storm damage reduction infrastructure, we are reducing risks from disasters.
    Our men and women are protecting and restoring the Nation’s environment including critical efforts in the Everglades, the Louisiana coast, and along many of our Nation’s major waterways. The Corps is also cleaning sites contaminated with hazardous, toxic or radioactive waste and material in an effort to sustain the environment.
    Through deeds, not words, we are BUILDING STRONG. ( Their own description says they are responsible. If a contractor tried to work on that part of buffalo creek without the Corps permission the contractor would be arrested.They have had many many years to correct this flooding problem. The Army Corp is responsible for this horrible event in the Lexington Green area.)

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has approximately 37,000 dedicated Civilians and Soldiers delivering engineering services to customers in more than 130 countries worldwide.
    With environmental sustainability as a guiding principle, our disciplined Corps team is working diligently to strengthen our Nation’s security by building and maintaining America’s infrastructure and providing military facilities where our servicemembers train, work and live. We are also researching and developing technology for our war fighters while protecting America’s interests abroad by using our engineering expertise to promote stability and improve quality of life.
    We are energizing the economy by dredging America’s waterways to support the movement of critical commodities and providing recreation opportunities at our campgrounds, lakes and marinas.
    And by devising hurricane and storm damage reduction infrastructure, we are reducing risks from disasters.
    Our men and women are protecting and restoring the Nation’s environment including critical efforts in the Everglades, the Louisiana coast, and along many of our Nation’s major waterways. The Corps is also cleaning sites contaminated with hazardous, toxic or radioactive waste and material in an effort to sustain the environment.
    Through deeds, not words, we are BUILDING STRONG. ( Their own description says they are responsible. If a contractor tried to work on that part of buffalo creek without the Corps permission the contractor would be arrested.They have had many many years to correct this flooding problem. The Army Corp is responsible for this horrible event in the Lexington Green area.)

I am having a really hard time believing this "no flooding" in the 60s nonsense, and lets not pretend that there are all original homeowners left, either. Plenty of new people surely have purchased since the glory days of no flooding in the 60s, right? How long do you figure it's been a designated flood zone?
    Did the town ask them to fix it? Did the town do it by the book? Is the corps supposed to be proactive? Does the corps work for free? Has a contractor sought permission?
    Do you have a factual basis for your desire to sue?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information