Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuomo talks buyouts for West Seneca flood victims

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Cuomo talks buyouts for West Seneca flood victims

Cuomo talks buyouts for West Seneca flood victims

The governor says he has been speaking with Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz about the serious issues faced by flood victims. Normally, when homes are bought by the government from the original owners, it has to begin at the federal level, such as what took place for victims of Hurricane Sandy. But Poloncarz says he and the governor are exploring having it happen at a state level.
    http://wivb.com/2014/02/24/cuomo-tal...flood-victims/

So what do you think? Should our tax money go to bail out people with local flood damage?

I do feel bad for the flood victims. If these homes are in an area that required flood insurance when they bought their property, I feel they knew it was a flood prone area and we should not be subsidizing their misfortune

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I"m very surprised he would have even come up with this idea. But hey it isn't his money

If this happens EVERY HOMEOWNER who pays for mandated flood insurance should sue the STATE of NY, the FEDS and their Mortgage holder for forcing them to do so. This is a slap in the face to everyone who pays. It's an election year gimmick by a corrupt Gov who is trying to BUY votes. He's been doing it a lot in the past 2 weeks. It's time to investigate him and his use of Federal Sandy Disaster Aid also.

What is this strange political need to bailout stupid people and people that caused their own problems through greed and/or stupidity?

You live near running water, fools. Everyone knows what happens when it thaws or rains heavily. If you didn't do your due diligence prior to buying tough **** for you.

Big daddy guberment to the rescue...unless of course you've done the right things in life. Then you just live with the satisfaction you aren't a tard that can't take care of yourself.

The bar is continually lowered and there never seems to be negative consequences for the stupid. If you do everything right and by the book, you will be rewarded in the form of paying for retard's mistakes.

They'll instate so many rules that almost no one will qualify. To make a claim now you need to prove a "Record of flood events" - documented proof that the flood water came in because the water was higher than your first floor - they don't cover basement damage.

Most people don't file claims because of the restrictions - my house flooded - the electricity went out during a rain storm - our street flooded. They claimed the sump pump failed because of the water and that's why we flooded.

We and many of our neighbors have two sump pumps - after the big flood I had internal perimeter drain tile and one pump on the north interior and one pump on the south interior of our basement. They can be heard pumping daily year round. I replace at least one pump every two years as they burn out so often.

I also bought a generator and keep a spare sump.

But if they ever open a program to buy out flood plain homes Im in - "SOLD TO GOV.CUOMO" Bye Bye New York !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post

. I replace at least one pump every two years as they burn out so often.

I also bought a generator and keep a spare sump.

But if they ever open a program to buy out flood plain homes Im in - "SOLD TO GOV.CUOMO" Bye Bye New York !
    Every two years seems about right for me too. I quit buying the nice ones because the cheap ones seem to last just as long.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    If you do everything right and by the book, you will be rewarded in the form of paying for retard's mistakes.
    No - you should have said if we do everything right - keep our mouths shut and don't disagree - the reward for average tax payers will be to support "Party Players" like you.

This subject has gone round and round for over 60 years that I know of - in Lancaster Ellicott Creek was rerouted in 1954 to make more land available for development. Other tributaries and creeks have been buried - moved and partly filled - all for development. In the case of Ellicott Creek reroute was paid for by tax dollars.

Now we get to pay Flood insurance of $2600.00 a year. No one is responsible for not informing us of the flood plains - no one prior to or after the sale is responsible.

Developers made back door purchases - then they had politicians in their pockets who eagerly changed zonings in return for Campaign and Committee Donations. So is that "doing the right thing and playing by the book" - which book - who's book ?

When taxpayers get a chance to ask Officials about the increased flooding - they should consider whats going on upstream. Buffalo Creek and Cayuga Creek also feeds into the Buffalo Creek.

Now most know the primary focus has been the bottle neck in south Buffalo. At least that's because that's the result of short sited main stream media. They report after the fact and usually devoid of any actual research as to cause and effect.

Over the years far more water has been routed into the Buffalo Creek tributaries by the suburbs due to development. When was a full study done to determine flow rates and water levels during a rainy spell or quick thaw period.

Like Lancaster these type studies aren't real popular when development may be held up as a result of factual finding. The County should take over being lead agency when new subdivisions and developments are being considered.

The Towns and Villages that feed water into storm sewers - or direct drainage into creeks and tributaries don't much care where it goes.

Residents should demand a study be done by the Corps of Engineers including the feeder streams and tributaries.

Part player, huh? What party would that be, Kreskin? I'll patiently wait for your brilliant retort...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I"m very surprised he would have even come up with this idea. But hey it isn't his money
    I am not surprised, he thinks he is presidential material, why not start acting like it ahead of time, he is that arrogant.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Every two years seems about right for me too. I quit buying the nice ones because the cheap ones seem to last just as long.
    I have to replace two pumps at our Church Chapel building, just last night I was telling a friend of mine as we were checking them out how my good Gould $300 brass bushing so called quality pump died after 2 years, and how my Ace hardware plastic pump has been going three years 24/7 10.5 months a year strong. (This thread has reminded me to get a replacement up and ready.)

4248, now I see...... that is your issues so often with water and your issue with my typomap study pre-house buy, one that Fishhead above shows should be done: "If you didn't do your due diligence prior to buying"
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    The Towns and Villages that feed water into storm sewers - or direct drainage into creeks and tributaries don't much care where it goes.
    Really..... is that because all "that feed water" live in houses with stilts or something, thus the need to not care. You are reaching here 4248.

Part player, huh? What party would that be, Kreskin? I'll patiently wait for your brilliant retort...
    Is that as in the Amazing Kreskin? The guy who knows what you're thinking. Who also knows what's going to happen before it actually does? 8-)

Hire a lawyer

The responsibility seems to lie with the Army Corps. I am suprised Sheila Meegan has not brought up the idea holding the Army Corp responsible for not doing a thing in the last few years to stop this flooding. Sheila Meegan should talk to lawyers about suing the Army Corp.This is not some impossible problem to solve. Its just that the Army Corp has turned a deaf ear to these residents.Years ago a very similiar problem was happening with ellicott creek in amherst. Now we hear nothing on ellicott creek flooding in the sweethome area.The government redesigned that area and the problem was gone. It seems a lawsuit against the army corp may be the only way to take care of this problem. A lot of you say they should have flood insurance. Well having flood ins does not stop your house from flooding. These houses should not have been built there 50 yrs ago. This was a flood plain. But the town officials let developers built houses there when they had to know major flooding could happen. These people live in fear that they may actually drown sleeping in their own beds. The answer is hire a lawyer and bring either a mass lawsuit or a individual lawsuit. It hurts nothing to talk to a lawyer. Some of you say they should sell their home then, do you actually think they will get a fair price.The Army Corp holds the responsibility , time to have a lawyer speak to them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information