Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recreation out of control

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why would you change out the bulbs that work? Just replace the ones blown out. Seems less expensive that way. It isn't like you are making a service call seeing staff if there anyways.

Been in maintenance for a large part of my life. The hardest part of this job is getting to the bulbs that are in the major scoreboard above the rink. The manpower to put up the scaffolding, rent it out if needed outweighs the cost of bulbs by far. You dont want to be doing this everytime a few bulbs go out. Why pay your team of men to bring in scaffolding, set up (Its very high up), change bulbs, take down and risk that the following week a few more bulbs go out. The bulbs have a life expectancy on them and the manager of the facility should be able to estimate the times the scoreboard is used. Its called a preventive maintenance program. At UB they changed all the bulbs in the entire scoreboard around july first every 2 years. This should ensure no bulbs going out during a game. You can now even buy preventive maintenance program software to help you manage everything from simple cleaning tasks to taking care of a park system with the goal being providing cost saving efficient maintenance.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I assumed this was a score board mounted to a wall something you could access with a ladder.

What style bulb does this score board use? I'm curious if there are now LED replacements. LEDs last far longer than filament bulbs.

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Sign-Scor...ED-Light-Bulbs

The puzzle pieces fit together now on why Craig K. is allowed to run his personal landscape and game business out of the Recreation office.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fish View Post
    Everyone knows Craig K is a family friend of Hart and hangs with Harts kids. Thats how he got hired. He was just a rec aide at a boys and girls club, nothing special and after 6 months became quite the slacker word has it around town hall. Its a great part time gig but now he wants more so don't be suprised if he eventually gets full time. The job was supposed to be filled with a civil service test even though its a part time job but as usual the town played dumb and got away with it. The town says it applied for the test to be given but it hasn't been posted yet. Oh and by the way most of the lights are out on the scoreboard over the ice rink. Its simple preventative maintenance, before the rink opens you get out your scaffolding and change every light on the board wether it needs it or not.

This is the obvious problem with nepotism and patronage - its a disservice to tax payers and actually the employee in question.

People cry about welfare - they say, "They don't care because everything they have is given to them - why should they care when every thing's free" - its the same when you raise someone to be a "Patronage Puppet" - they aren't learning to "work" or to be "Productive" - they feel entitled. They only do enough work to meet minimum requirements - most are then also sheltered by Unions who's only true interest is dues to build their PAC Funds(Political Action Committees). No I am not anti union !

The Politicians and Department Boss's (usually members of the same committee) create marginal need job positions - then the Controlling Party Committee use those positions to reward "Party Players" - they mostly include pensions, benefits like Cadillac health care and more.

This breeds slackers - not workers - they believe they deserve more money - not work. They run their other business or actual continually campaign on the tax payers money. If a person is paid for 40 hours a week - they should be at work. Not sitting on a bar stool or riding a lawn mower for personal gain. Many times its the Boss's who set the example -

I cringe every time a Politician brags about being a "Full service Town" - then they drag about all the wonderful services "They provide".

The services are tax funded - the only thing many "Politicians provide" is a chance for "Party Loyal" to receive tax funded employment. Those who work actually provide the services and they are tired of carrying your patronage babies.

But, always remember - "They do it for the kids"
    Last edited by 4248; March 3rd, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Part players...ding ding ding.
    What a schmuck.

1 actual working employee, 1 employee who utilizes town time to run his own business, 1 employee who bad mouths his fellow employees and gets away with it... I guess that is Public vs Private industry at its best

Do we need a full time Rec Director?

Some friends were telling me the town is thinking of making the Recreation Director a full time position. My question is what does the WS youth/ recreation dept actually do and why is the Kiwanis seldom open? Here is the most recent link for hours?http://www.westseneca.net/index.php?q=Kiwanis%20Center
    They don't even bother to update any info? If you go to the towns website and click on youth/recreation you get a bunch of links if you are searching for recreation info. The Towns Youth Bureau Im told has only meet like twice in the last two years.The Towns youth hockey, soccer, baseball, girls softball etc are all run by private groups, thank god! And I must say my kids when they were young played soccer, hockey and baseball and all those groups do a fantastic job.The town has no community center just a small Kiwanis center which is seldom open, dirty and falling apart. So besides the summer "day camp" programs and pool why do you even need a "Director". There is talk that this part time job now may becoming full time. I just don't understand why taxpayers need to pay another person $45,000. or more plus benefits for doing very little. If I'm wrong please let me know but I just don't understand the logic behind it. Thank you

It's never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples. I'm gonna need a different metaphor to give this nine year old.
    Ron Swanson

Its our responsibility to be watch dogs - its our money - report it.

You can ask what and if the "Recreation Committee receives any pay, stipends or other benefits" - many times you'll find even the most innocent looking "Communitie' Minded Volunteer" gets some kind of compensation. Its always argued - by those who benefit or the Politicians that hand them out - they say things like, "Its a drop in the bucket compared to the total budget - these people put in way more hours than they get paid for - and so on" - well many times that's true - they are credited for way more "hours" but does that equate to working those hours - does that equate to actual services being provided ? Usually no !

If anyone can document time spent by an employee working another job/business or earning money - while being on the clock for the Town - NY State accepts complaints because it is pension fraud.

Individuals who make an allegation may remain anonymous.

You can send a complaint to Report Government Fraud:

State Comptroller DiNapoli is working to find and fight fraud at every level of State and local government. The public’s help is needed in this fight. New Yorkers can report allegations of fraud, corruption or abuse of taxpayer money by calling a toll-free hotline at 1-888-OSC-4555 (1-888-672-4555).

The hotline is staffed Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by experienced investigators from the Investigations Unit of the Legal Services Division of the Office of the State Comptroller. New Yorkers may also file an online complaint, print a complaint form or send an e-mail to investigations@osc.state.ny.us.

Once a complaint is received, the Investigations Unit may:

•Conduct a preliminary investigation;
    •Open a full investigation;
    •Refer the complaint to the proper agency or authority; or
    •Close the case.
    Individuals who make an allegation may remain anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by saysomething9876 View Post
    A couple weeks ago a forum was posted on how the Recreation Department was out of control for the appointment of Lauren M. as Recreation Supervisor at the rate of $13/hour. It is my understanding Lauren M. has been solely planning the Summer Day Camp and will be leading the camp. If this is true she deserves the appointment. I am almost positive I read a story about her in the Sun or Bee a few months ago running a can drive for some food pantry. I have only spoken to her one time but she seems dedicated to making improvements for the people in West Seneca.
    Well someones pretty one sided here....makes you think who wrote this....
    and seriously i hardly think that speaking to someone one time is justification that they are more than qualified to be a Director. Also lets me honest my 7 year old has ran canned food drives.

I think the expression "Out of control" may not fit the circumstance - maybe "Under Party Control" might fit better.

Most things like rec departments - summer programs and such sound good - feel good and are some what useful - at first.

They are usually born out of "Political Necessity" then they morph into a "Patronage Pool" which usually means = Tax funded jobs for the Loyal Members of the Controlling Party.

This is where the "Community Service" part seems to get lost and tax payers end up paying for tax funded pensions, health care as well as pay checks. So at first you have maybe one person - or even a current Town employee take on these "Extra Duties" - then they say, "This jobs to big for just a part timer" - Bingo ! Now they create a full time position - then later the program is so "successful" that we need to ad a secretary and or a part time staff member. = The cost will now be amplified - it will require its own budget line - home owners get quietly saddled with life time tax funded benefits and paychecks.

Wouldn't it be a nice idea if come election time - proposals were separately offered for a vote ! Let tax payers vote on each Department separately. If you want to increase the Parks department budget - it gets voted on by tax payers - if the Recreation Department wants a budget increase or more employees - it gets voted on by tax payers and so on.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by saysomething9876 View Post
    A couple weeks ago a forum was posted on how the Recreation Department was out of control for the appointment of Lauren M. as Recreation Supervisor at the rate of $13/hour. It is my understanding Lauren M. has been solely planning the Summer Day Camp and will be leading the camp. If this is true she deserves the appointment. I am almost positive I read a story about her in the Sun or Bee a few months ago running a can drive for some food pantry. I have only spoken to her one time but she seems dedicated to making improvements for the people in West Seneca.
    Quote Originally Posted by People View Post
    Well someones pretty one sided here....makes you think who wrote this....
    and seriously i hardly think that speaking to someone one time is justification that they are more than qualified to be a Director. Also lets me honest my 7 year old has ran canned food drives.
    Valid point unless the person had a resume packed with experience so you know what your getting from day one.

How many hours does a "recreation director" put in?

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fish View Post
    Everyone knows Craig K is a family friend of Hart and hangs with Harts kids. Thats how he got hired. He was just a rec aide at a boys and girls club, nothing special and after 6 months became quite the slacker word has it around town hall. Its a great part time gig but now he wants more so don't be suprised if he eventually gets full time. The job was supposed to be filled with a civil service test even though its a part time job but as usual the town played dumb and got away with it. The town says it applied for the test to be given but it hasn't been posted yet. Oh and by the way most of the lights are out on the scoreboard over the ice rink. Its simple preventative maintenance, before the rink opens you get out your scaffolding and change every light on the board wether it needs it or not.
    Take a look at this: http://www.westseneca.net/sites/defa...6142630(1).pdf
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How are they basing the position can no longer be performed by a part time employee? Time cards?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information