Thread: West Seneca cleans up after flood waters rip through Lexington Green

West Seneca cleans up after flood waters rip through Lexington Green

After flood waters submerged a West Seneca neighborhood Saturday evening residents came together Sunday to clean up their water-logged street and yards.

More...

You didn't have insurance? Why not? You live in a flood zone.
    You want answers? Ok, brace yourself...there was ice, there was a thaw, there was a flood. Got it?

I feel bad for you, but not because you got jobbed. You knew where you moved. You knew there was a creek there. You knew you had to have insurance while you had a mortgage, yet ditched it when you didn't...

What kind of answers do you guys want?

Hey Fish man,,, good to see you. I miss your witty ways!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    SOE, if you raise the water table would that increase or decrease the chance of flooding?

If you decrease the surface area that is water permeable would that increase or decrease the amount of water that flows off the property?

If you alter drainage flow or patterns or surface water runoff from the property does the amount of erosion increase or decrease?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer View Post
    I asked you a question first. Where are these federal wetlands you are so concerned about ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer View Post
    If or when they flooded in that area, it would be from excessive rain and snowmelt coming from the many miles of the creek that is upstream. In fact I would dare say the Canisius Fields would be first to flood from runoff before the subdivisions up on the backside of the creek would. The Clinton Street farmlands, where the Canisius fields are going, sits well below these neighborhoods. It's visible to see whether you look out from Mineral Springs Rd. area close to Indian Church Rd., where you look down upon the Canisius Fields or from the rear of the Canisius fields area up at the subdivisions (Lexington Green) across the creek. I suggest those who don't know the area not buy into this argument without seeing the lay of the land in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Trust me, I know the lay of the land quite well. I wrung out a whole lot of dirty Buffalo Creek water from my old sneakers back in the day - it floods - plain and simple. Whether it's the residential area or the Canisius fields, somebody's going to need a raft eventually.
    Perhaps now a proper study will be done on this issue.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I have flood insurance even though I'm not in a flood zone because I'm concerned about an ice or debris dam causing a backup of the creek behind my house.

However, it only covers structural damage and a furnace/air condition in a basement - no other contents, and it has to be a 100 acre (or 100 home) flood. But because I'm not in flood zone it only cost about $400 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I have flood insurance even though I'm not in a flood zone because I'm concerned about an ice or debris dam causing a backup of the creek behind my house.

However, it only covers structural damage and a furnace/air condition in a basement - no other contents, and it has to be a 100 acre (or 100 home) flood. But because I'm not in flood zone it only cost about $400 per year.
    I have flood insurance (I live in a floor zone). The water will never fill my basement and reach the first floor (which is what our insurance policy dictates), but we have it anyway. We also have additional coverage for the furnace and basementbcontents, as well as clean up. I don't handle those kind of matters in the house so I have no idea how much we pay, but I sleep better knowing I have it.
    Mandated or not, people near water need it. I don't shed a tear for those that should have known better but were playing it cheap.

Thread Information