Thread: Who remembers the Inferno?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who remembers the Inferno?

From 1965 to 1968, the Inferno in Williamsville, NY brought a host of nationally known recording artists as well as local and regional music groups.

I remember seeing Junior Walker & the All Stars, Sly & the Family Stone, Gary Puckett & the Union Gap, Wilson Pickett, Bob Seger System, Paul Butterfield Blues Band just to name a few. Every Wednesday night, Wilmer Alexander & Dukes played to a packed house. The Rising Sons (later called the Raven) were the house band that played in the "small room"! Tony Galla of course was the lead singer.

Who else remembers the Inferno? How about those 16 ounce Iroquois drafts for 35 cents? How about the A Go Go girls in the "small room"?

That was before my time...

But I was an Anacone's regular back in the day...
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

I remember the Inferno. I never went there. I did drink at Anacones once or twice. I used to work with a guy who went there. I was a senior in high school. It would have been in 1971.
    I was a south Buffalo boy. Does anyone remeber the bands on Fridays and Sundays at the Seneca show.
    Later it became Psycus. I saw the Bob Seegar System there. 2+2 is on my mind.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse View Post
    Does anyone remeber the bands on Fridays and Sundays at the Seneca show.
    Yes....
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

The Inferno was "the" premier place to go to hear music from 1965 until 1968. People use to stand in lines leading into the place for hours. Sometime the line went past the Glen Avenue bridge. It was a gold mine!

I saw the Buckinghams and the Zombies at Psychus. They tried to do something in the city, but it just didn't fly. A south Buffalo boy, George Hamburger (disc jockey) worked as a bartender at the Inferno.

Saw a lot of those groups there. Also Grant Smith & the Power from Canada---Incredible Soul band ! In the back room---Stonebridge Blues Band, Portable People, Scarecrow (One of my favorites) Great memories.......

Oh yeah! That was the next great place after Uncle Sams & Stage 1
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Uncle Sams
    Bad memories of that place.... dang blasted Canadians could not take getting their table slapped... it was only a bunch of spilled beer that went all over them. No need for a full brawl. Yikes.... thanks for bringing up bad memories! 8-(
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Way before my time, but, does anyone recall going to a place called the Peppermint Twist, in Tonawanda or around sorts?

Two years ago, a teacher at school stated that he worked there, and told me that in late 1963 the manager of the club booked a band from England that he ended up canceling the show on. It turned out the band was the Beatles.
    Democrats Against UN Agenda 21 - Democrats Against UN Agenda 21

I remember the Inferno as the nightclub on Walden Avenue in Cheektowaga during the 1980s. Not only remember, but I was the head doorman for a couple of years. It was a great place to see bands. When "moshing" came into fashion and those types of bands played there, it was a disaster because the dance floor was surrounded by glass walls which became broken with glass shards everywhere. Got into some fights with local celebrities. Had a great time.

Thread Information