Thread: Our family will lose $44 in food stamps

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Our family will lose $44 in food stamps

Our family will lose $44 in food stamps

Starting Friday, Joyce Lewis and her family will lose $44 from their monthly food stamp benefits.

The food stamps buy a lot of economical rice-based meals for the family -- four adults and a grandson who live with Lewis in Spring Hill, Florida.

Occasionally, when her grocery store is running a deal, Lewis indulges the family with spare ribs or chicken.

The benefit -- totaling $800 for four adults -- never lasts Lewis and her family a full month.

"When I get to the end, we always run out. I try to go to all the food pantries," Lewis said.
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/01/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

Lewis, 55, is worried because the cuts are coming at a bad time. Among other things, a second grandchild is due in January.
    How can this be? If you are having a tough time as it is why would you have another child?

She is also fighting the bank from foreclosing on her home.

And even though she doesn't smoke, Lewis suffers from emphysema, which prevents her from working.

Lewis attributes the emphysema to a lifetime of bartending in smoke-filled nonprofit social clubs, such as Elks and Moose lodges.

Her adult daughters who live with her aren't in a position to work -- one is a new mom, and another is due to give birth soon.
    Better learn how to fish and garden. You should not be having children if you can not afford to.

Or

One can baby sit while the other is working. Problem solved. Part time should be able to offset the $44 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    One can baby sit while the other is working. Problem solved. Part time should be able to offset the $44 a month.

Thinking like this is horrible. Should just give them more money.

Let's cut the programs that hurt the most people, while we spend billions on the military industrial complex
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

No doubt there are people who should not be receiving SNAP benefits, and there are those who qualify for them but are abusing those benefits.

But the great majority of those receiving the benefits are our fellow Americans who are in justifiable need of our help. Punishing the many to get back at the few is archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    No doubt there are people who should not be receiving SNAP benefits, and there are those who qualify for them but are abusing those benefits.

But the great majority of those receiving the benefits are our fellow Americans who are in justifiable need of our help. Punishing the many to get back at the few is archaic.
    So let's change the criteria for qualification then. Gotta start somewhere.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

I think there are more than you want to believe abusing the system. Plus we need to define what abusing is so we are on the same page.

I would say if multiple family members are living in one nice home as that photo seems to show one can baby sit while the other goes to work. Or tend a garden, or feed farm animals etc.

Perhaps it is time to start teaching kids how to fend for themselves instead of being victims of others.

100 million people can't get a job.

In many parts of the country, having a garden that produces food, is illegal. And unless they live in the country, good luck with farm animals, which by the way cost alot of money to care for.

Cutting snap benefits is nothing more than a ploy to rally the poor to 'tax the rich'. Ie the middle class.

Why not cut military spending instead? Or foriegn aid to countries that hate us? How many billions do we spend on countries that hate America? Instead we keep sending them money, while cutting out a safety net that 50 million people need to survive.

I'm with nogods on this!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We cut it most of it and regroup. Same thing with labor contracts which are far too generous in my opinion.

Are you prepared for the food riots that may come from this? Just look what happened when there was a glitch in the food stamp system, mini riots at Walmart stores!

Now multiply that nationwide!

When people can't afford to eat, they will react with violence.

I agree the spending needs to be cut, however cutting the life line of food to millions of poor, unemployed, unable to get work during the worst depression since the crash of '29 is a recipe for disaster!

We have near double digit inflation, almost 100 million, that's 1 in 3 out of work, we have employers cutting back hours like crazy, layoffs, ect...

Now let's cut food stamps. While we are at it, let's cut unemployment, welfare heap, wic, ect....

But whatever we do, DO NOT even think about touching the hundreds of billions spent of foriegn aid!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Are you prepared for the food riots that may come from this? Just look what happened when there was a glitch in the food stamp system, mini riots at Walmart stores!

Now multiply that nationwide!

When people can't afford to eat, they will react with violence.

I agree the spending needs to be cut, however cutting the life line of food to millions of poor, unemployed, unable to get work during the worst depression since the crash of '29 is a recipe for disaster!

We have near double digit inflation, almost 100 million, that's 1 in 3 out of work, we have employers cutting back hours like crazy, layoffs, ect...

Now let's cut food stamps. While we are at it, let's cut unemployment, welfare heap, wic, ect....

But whatever we do, DO NOT even think about touching the hundreds of billions spent of foriegn aid!
    Don't lie and mislead people. There were no miniriots at walmart stores.

Always be prepared. I'm not even a boy scout and I know that.

I bet you don't even know how to catch a squirrel, clean it and cook it.

With all of these cuts to SNAP...I assume the stock prices for companies like Coke and Pepsi are going to go do. After all, things like soda and junk food are going to be the first thing these folks cut....right?

Cutting benefits to those in need of them is so wrong.Abuse must be dealt with but the bulk of those on assistance need this assistance. Instead of just cutting benefits to all maybe more programs are needed to weed out the abuse.The savings can pay for the new programs.Personally I feel payments to the poor are a great way to stimulate this economy. The poor spend the benefits they get therefore helping the local economy. When we give out corporate welfare these corporations and rich can hold on to this money or invest it overseas.Does nothing to the local economy.Yes they have jobs for us but in reality these jobs they offer are for them to make money as it should but they are in business to make money for their services not for corporate welfare. Corporate welfare is like a bonus to them . Makes great bonuses for their CEO's.

Thread Information