Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Gay Church Protests at GI Funerals

Anti-Gay Church Protests at GI Funerals

By BETH RUCKER
    Associated Press Writer

SMYRNA, Tenn. (AP) -- Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.

The funerals were for Staff Sgt. Asbury Fred Hawn II, 35, in Smyrna and Spc. Gary Reese Jr., 22, in Ashland City. Both were members of the Tennessee National Guard.

Hundreds of Smyrna and Ashland City residents and families of other soldiers turned out at both sites to counter the message the Westboro Baptist members brought.

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.

The church members held protesting permits, and counterprotesters in Smyrna turned their backs to Westboro Baptist members until time expired on the protest permits.

"If they were protesting the government, I might even join them," Danny Cotton, 56, said amid cries of "get out of our town" and "get out of our country."

"But for them to come during the worst time for this family - it's just wrong."

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...08-28-07-40-55

The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.
    Great, now I'll be humming this all day !

fk Phelps

It's churches like this that turn people of to church. Remember anyone can put on a priest costume. Some do just to hide who they really are. A pedophile, for example. These costumes are worn as masks and the Catholic Church in particular has done a nice job of turning people off.
    Sunday churchgoers are the funniest. Many of them (not all) go to church on Sunday and act appropriately enough for an hour and then it ends there. They are unfazed by the experience and refer to someone reading a bible on a tuesday as a Jesus freak.
    Now, the Baptists, seem a bit more genuine to me.

This church that invaded this funeral is just crazy. It's most likely the result of self loathing by the organizers involved. They are not worth discussing any further.
    Last edited by Stevenco; August 28th, 2005 at 01:08 PM.

lcm

Stevenco, how you could choose one religion over another is

Stevenco, how you could choose one religion over another is beyond my comprehension...

and most catholics I know have a healthy knowledge of the difference between the catholic faith and the catholic church government. If you have traveled youd know that there is a very big difference between Catholics in Europe and US versus Catholics in Latin American, Asia and Africa. Catholics in Europe and the US are much more similar to protestants. If your anti-catholic then you must be a feminist too and support the politicization of women priests...which is bull and demeans everything women of faith in the catholic church have ever done.

It used to be that people of faith were respected members of the community who didnt engage in politics. They set up hospitals, hospices, senior facilites, community centers, schools, orphanages and daycare (before feminists one the right to vivasection of unborn fetuses and flush them down the toilet)

Now in order to protect abortion rights they have declared a war against all relgious faith...all priests are pedophile and all churches discriminate against women because they dont support women priests.

Now in order to protect their reproductive rights they have declared a war against single men, husbands, fathers....putting them under the constant suspicion of abusers or pedophiles or incompetent parents.

I dont know what Bible this Phelps guy is reading but its obvious that he is confusing his personal beliefs with his faith. Jesus was not judgemental. He deviated from the judgement and punishment of the Old Testament in favor of grace and forgiveness paving the way for the New Testament.

If this Phelps guy is preaching fire and brimstone....I can only draw one conclusion. He is not following the New Testament but the old....therefore....he in effect not a Christian but a Jew.

Re: Stevenco, how you could choose one religion over another is

Originally posted by lcm
    If your anti-catholic then you must be a feminist too and support the politicization of women priests...which is bull and
    Really? I didn't know that. I also don't remember saying I was anti catholic either, but hey...

Re: fk Phelps

Originally posted by Stevenco
    It's churches like this that turn people of to church. Remember anyone can put on a priest costume. Some do just to hide who they really are. A pedophile, for example. These costumes are worn as masks and the Catholic Church in particular has done a nice job of turning people off.
    Sunday churchgoers are the funniest. Many of them (not all) go to church on Sunday and act appropriately enough for an hour and then it ends there. They are unfazed by the experience and refer to someone reading a bible on a tuesday as a Jesus freak.
    Now, the Baptists, seem a bit more genuine to me.

This church that invaded this funeral is just crazy. It's most likely the result of self loathing by the organizers involved. They are not worth discussing any further.
    I agree, these people are freaks....

But, "Now, the Baptists, seem a bit more genuine to me.", come now, many Baptists are downright hostile to other religions.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

lcm

Ive met many Baptists that were downright hostile to all other religions

Ive met many Baptists that were downright hostile to all other religions

I personally like the christian denominations and the Buddhists. Your not born into these religions but converted and judged based on your actions during life.

The Hindu, Mulsim and Jewish religions all believe that they are born into that religion and that regardless of what they do they have a contract with god that gives them special treatment placing them above every other human being on the planet.

Atleast thats my understanding of it. Maybe im wrong here. If so, please feel free to enlighten me.

I just meant that the Baptists seem more genuine insomuch that it isn't just an hour aweek for them. What I was getting at is the hypocrisy by Sunday churchgoers. I know some are my relatives. They'll go to church, but when someone brings up Jesus on a weekday, they are regarded as a holy roller or born again. If that's the attitude, why do they even go on Sunday for?

lcm
    I know some are my relatives. They'll go to church, but when someone brings up Jesus on a weekday, they are regarded as a holy roller or born again. If that's the attitude, why do they even go on Sunday for?
    Because for some people, their religious faith is a deeply personal and intimate relationship with god. They dont discuss it in public any more than they would discuss their sex life in public or anything else of a deeply personal, private and intimate nature.

If you can admit that, then its fair to say that there are people who go to church and give the image or faith but arent in fact faithful.

...maybe some of them, but I think that many other Sunday Christians are just uncomfortable with or embarassed by the subject. I don't think it's supposed to be that intimate. That's why they congregate in a church to begin with. A Sunday Catholic calling someone a holy roller for discussing scripture on a tuesday evening is not because of intamacy or privacy. It's hypocrisy.

Real nice job on the barefoot n pregnant thread.

lcm

Well Stevenco, you have your right to your opinion

Well Stevenco, you have your right to your opinion

but I know many people who go to church, even catholics who say their prayers and their rosaries and read their bible, but dont discuss religion...except maybe with their wife or parents or children and even then they believe that it is better to teach children about faith and religion by their actions than their words.

Oh, were you being sarcastic about me doing a nice job on "Being Barefoot and Pregnant." If you thought my points were valid, then why did you side with the feminist?

I support Roberts nomination and Im not going to buy into any democrat or liberal trying to protect abortion rights by defaming a good decent local buffalo boy!

Anyone who wants my buy in on gender equality for women has to put on the table all the areas where men need affirmative action and protection from discrimination. If gender equality is only empowerment for women...then its hypocrisy and a sham!

How did you just assume I was being sarcastic? Where did I side with BillieJean King? Please show me which post I sided with feminists. Or just don't reply, if you have no response to that which I don't think you do. I don't know how you got sarcasm out of it, unless you find it hard to believe that someone agreed with your submission. Or are you just as combative with people who agree with you?
    Last edited by Stevenco; August 29th, 2005 at 12:24 AM.

lcm

Well thanks for understanding my perspective

Well thanks for understanding my perspective. Im complimented that there are others that care about the welfare of their sons as well as the welfare of their daughters....and have the courage to question this sacred cow of the democratic / liberal party platform.

Great. But tell me which post I sided with feminists. I want to know if I have another personality I don't know about.

lcm

Nope, I re-read and your comment was directed at therising

Nope, I re-read and your comment was directed at therising not me.

Maybe if enough people slay the sacred cow of the democrats and the liberals (feminism and unions) we may get a real opposition party...and finally make it safe for the moderates to come out of the closet instead of letting the radicals in both parties set the agenda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information