Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine in Supermarkets?

Wine in Supermarkets?

On Dec. 16th, Governor Paterson proposed to legalize the sale of wine in grocery stores. If this becomes law, small businesses in every corner of NY will be forced to close costing us hundreds of valuable jobs at a time when New Yorkers cannot afford any more job loss.

The move will also affect the NY wine industry, one of the only growing business sectors in the State. Grocery stores are only going to stock the most popular wines (Yellow Tail, Beringers, Mondavi, etc), wines that are cheap and sell quickly. New York wine will only be carried in the larger mega-markets like Wegmans. No longer will these wineries be able to sell to small liquor stores and wine shops, because there won't be any!

The consumer will also suffer. No longer will there be a large choice for the wine consumer. This radical shift will cause shortages and unavailability of many wines. The Mega-Weggies and Tops will control the price as well. Just compare the prices of Weggie food to the prices at Sloan Market or Guercio's.

The only business that will stand to gain will be Wegmans. Plain and simple. And how much more money does Danny really need? When was the last time Wegmans did you a favor or improve your neighborhood?

Is Danny in Paterson's pocket?
    GO GREEN ... plant a garden!

Michigan supermarkets sell Beer wine booze a one stop shop. I want that here becuase it will make it mor cionvienent for the private sector folks. When we go buy our cat food beacuase the public sector fools drove up our taxes . We can but booze to ease the pain.God I do love being hammered.

Are you saying that you need to booze up before you eat the cat food? Detroit is a real nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by blockclubof1 View Post
    Are you saying that you like cat food with your booze?

I am saying if we dont put you tree huggers on a short leash that will be all we can afford. I am half in the bag right now. God I love Fridays.

When was the last time Wegmans did you a favor or improve your neighborhood?

Blockhead,
    Are you saying corner liquor stores improve the neighborhood or do people favors?
    You're special, never change.

This is just another example of how short-sighted (no pun intended) our governor really is.

I am not a wine drinker but I do purchase a good amount during the year for holiday get togethers, family dinners and parties.

I will continue to go to the liquor store because the personnell is very helpful to people like me, who know very little about good wines.

I so hope Paterson does something to get ousted out of office before his time.

Why other than protecting liquor stores is this even an issue?

It's not protecting just liquor stores, it's protecting small businesses and the jobs associated with them.

The Liquor Store owner gets screwed basically. They don't have a fair shot.

They can't sell cups, napkins, Soda or Tonic Water, etc

If NYS lets Liquor stores compete (selling the above, plus juices and some other things) then it may be a different story. But if NYS simply lets Grocery Stores sell wine, then it's typical non-thinking BS.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    But if NYS simply lets Grocery Stores sell wine, then it's typical non-thinking BS.
    And since it has happened on Paterson's watch, one can safely assume it's typical non-thinking BS.

OK I got it now,, but in the almighty quest for convenience and low prices how do you stop the floodgates that Walmart opened?

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Blockhead,
    Are you saying corner liquor stores improve the neighborhood or do people favors?
    You're special, never change.
    No. I asked if Wegmans ever improved your neighborhood or did you any favors? They moved out of my neighborhood leaving an empty store (Galleria).
    I'm asking this because they control and monopolize the price you pay for food. Compare Wegmans prices to Sloan Market, Guercio's, Hertel Farmers Market...all lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    OK I got it now,, but in the almighty quest for convenience and low prices how do you stop the floodgates that Walmart opened?

Save Us: It may be less convenient and more costly but I am prepared to take a stand. I am all for supporting small - local businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    That's an entirely different situation in my opinion.
    If the liquor stores are allowed to become grocery stores/convenience stores and sell chips, beer, juices, etc then I'd have no problem with this idea. I just don't have the faith in NYS that it will work that way. I think they'll put the liquor store owner at a disadvantage by keeping him/her handcuffed and let the grocery stores be the home of the one stop shop.

I'm asking this because they control and monopolize the price you pay for food. Compare Wegmans prices to Sloan Market, Guercio's, Hertel Farmers Market...all lower.
    If the others are all lower than Wegmans, then how is Wegmans controlling and monopolizing the pricing?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information