Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner - Who has one?

Scanner - Who has one?

After being awakened for the umpteenth time by multiple cars of the cops hauling through our neighborhood at 2am last night, I wondered where they were going and what was going on (Yes, I know they were hunting down felons and whatnot).

Has anybody here used a scanner to listen in on what is going on in the neighborhood or surrounding area? If so, any recommendations? Or, are all the calls dispatched over those computers they have in the cars and as such are scanners obsolete these days?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame View Post
    After being awakened for the umpteenth time by multiple cars of the cops hauling through our neighborhood at 2am last night, I wondered where they were going and what was going on (Yes, I know they were hunting down felons and whatnot).

Has anybody here used a scanner to listen in on what is going on in the neighborhood or surrounding area? If so, any recommendations? Or, are all the calls dispatched over those computers they have in the cars and as such are scanners obsolete these days?

Thanks!
    Scanners are still used (@ least in the City of Buffalo) , but they're wiser on how "they" broadcast (scrabble it) so the theif calls aren't alerted........but 90% is still on the different channels , you buy one that scans , you catch the "good" calls.........(my friend has one & seems to know things before anyone)
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

I had one a few years ago and was constantly scared especially when I heard about things happening on Bailey which is only 8-10 blocks from me so I gave it away.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J View Post
    I had one a few years ago and was constantly scared especially when I heard about things happening on Bailey which is only 8-10 blocks from me so I gave it away.
    Hi Michele , how are you doing ? Hopefully you've got "peace" , & on the subject of scanners , you did hear a lot about stuff ALL over the city , right ?
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Im taking it day by day actually minute by minute..He brought me so much happiness so I have wonderful memories to help me.TY for asking.
    Yes I heard what was going on all over the city and being so close to Cheektowaga I picked up their calls too..many many drunk driving calls.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Uniden portable (handheld) - love it, especially during storms - even have the Bills Refs channel during games - v/interesting.

I have a basic radio shack one. It was well under $100. You can google all the different frequencies to put in for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J View Post
    Uniden portable (handheld) - love it, especially during storms - even have the Bills Refs channel during games - v/interesting.
    merl , you can actually hear what the refs are saying in private "during" a game ? That's more interesting to me then the crime stuff ! Anything suggest that some games are crooked ? Just curious in what you've heard & interpeted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J View Post
    Im taking it day by day actually minute by minute..He brought me so much happiness so I have wonderful memories to help me.TY for asking.
    Yes I heard what was going on all over the city and being so close to Cheektowaga I picked up their calls too..many many drunk driving calls.
    I didn't realize you could pick-up the Cheektowaga bands also ?!

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    merl , you can actually hear what the refs are saying in private "during" a game ? That's more interesting to me then the crime stuff ! Anything suggest that some games are crooked ? Just curious in what you've heard & interpeted ?

Naw, just some basic questionning and an occaisional finger-pointing for a bad call.

Another good channel during storms is DPW - especially the streets crews.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J View Post
    Naw, just some basic questionning and an occaisional finger-pointing for a bad call.

Another good channel during storms is DPW - especially the streets crews.
    Must of been a lot of talk the other night by both the Streets Dept. & the Police when the snow plow driver hit that guy............Awful story...........

Unregistered
    Although it's illegal, you can also listen to many of your neighbor's cordless phone calls and baby monitors.

I wouldn't recommend you do it though. If anyone found out and could prove you were "eves-dropping" with a scanner, you could be charged with a felony.

I used to listen to our radio channels until we went digital. Now all you hear when you scan our radios is "ones and zeros," (static)

b.b.

Who stole da keishka?

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    I didn't realize you could pick-up the Cheektowaga bands also ?!
    YOU MEAN I can listen to POLKA music too???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information