Thread: Advertising Play on Words

Unregistered

Advertising Play on Words

Does anyone else pay attention to the "play on words" advertisers use to deceive prospective buyers?

For example: I just heard a commercial on WBEN, where "Kathy from Williamsville" stated, "MIELE is the ONLY vacuum recommended by doctors and allergists."

Technically, for the above statement to be true, it would only be necessary for her (or her advertiser) to prove that two (or more) doctors and two (or more) allergists recommend ONLY the MIELE vacuum.

Had Kathy Weppner said ALL doctors and ALL allergists, it could be considered false advertisement.

Recently heard on a new suppository commercial, a famous proctologist with an attitude saying, "TAKE THESE SUPPOSITORIES AND SHOE THEM UP YOUR ASS!"

New Kosher deli that just opened: Shofar, So Good.

Dr. Lyke just got his Optometrist degree and plans to go into business for himself. His new practice is called, "Lyke Eye Care."

New furniture store around the corner: The Ottoman Empire
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

New hunting rifle store: More Bangs for Your Bucks

Thanks joe d.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Thumbs up

The advertising must be CATCHY, SHORT, and GET to POINT so people easy memories products or services which are advertised.

Save more-Live better

Unregistered
    Another common "play on words" in advertising I've noticed is with stain removal products.

Example: They'll say something like, "watch us remove THIS ink spot." What they're not telling you, is that "THIS" ink is WATER based. Needless to say, water based ink is much easier to remove than any other type of ink.

Again, it's not considered false advertising because they're not saying all ink spots. They're only referring to that particular, (water based,) ink spot.

And of course.
    We'll just love the Slap Chop guys nuts.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

justKel
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY View Post
    And of course.
    We'll just love the Slap Chop guys nuts.
    He does those Sham-Wow commercials too. Bleh!
    Last edited by justKel; January 25th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

My opinion - is that every 30 second commercial should be 29.5 seconds of their ad, making their claims with whatever phrases they want.

Then, for the last 0.5 seconds, they have to say "But not really!"

Advertisers and advertisements frustrate me to no end....

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    Does anyone else pay attention to the "play on words" advertisers use to deceive prospective buyers?

For example: I just heard a commercial on WBEN, where "Kathy from Williamsville" stated, "MIELE is the ONLY vacuum recommended by doctors and allergists."

Technically, for the above statement to be true, it would only be necessary for her (or her advertiser) to prove that two (or more) doctors and two (or more) allergists recommend ONLY the MIELE vacuum.

Had Kathy Weppner said ALL doctors and ALL allergists, it could be considered false advertisement.

I didn't notice.

Whenever I hear Kathy, I am so distracted by what a moron she is, it's hard to concentrate on her words anymore.

Can't they start the Financial Guys show at noon???

Thread Information