Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Center

Lynch Confirmed As Obama’s New AG, Senate Leadership Stabs Gun Owners in the Back

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/lync...#ixzz3YHvx3aiH
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

YES!!
    The latest fight over gun control in Washington, DC, looks like one for New York to watch. It’s on the question of whether the District of Columbia can require residents applying for pistol permits to show “good reason.”

Short work was made of the question this week by US District Judge Frederick J. Scullin Jr. He struck down DC’s requirement that gun-permit applicants provide a “good reason” to own a firearm. And he set an aggressive schedule to speedily resolve the granting of a permit to plaintiffs.

It’s not yet clear whether DC and its police chief, Cathy Lanier, are going to appeal the district court ruling. It is clear, though, that the case will echo in New York and other cities that require a showing of need to carry a pistol.

And no wonder.

The Second Amendment Foundation’s Alan Gottlieb was quoted by the Washington Free Beacon as calling it a “devastating loss for the District and its anti-gun-rights policy.” The Washington Post says it thrusts the District into a “national battle.”

That national battle could very well come to New York City. The city’s strict laws governing residents’ ability to carry a concealed gun would be vulnerable to the same constitutional objection as the DC gun laws.

If Scullin’s judgment were imposed on New York — either by a higher court or Congress — it would render unenforceable the city’s demand that permit applicants show a good reason (usually a clear need for self-defense) before getting approved.

It’s a big deal because the “good reason” hurdle is being used by municipalities to evade the Bill of Rights. What would be the reaction were Americans required to show “good reason” before they were allowed to pray in public?

Or before they were allowed to speak on a street corner? Or before they were allowed to publish or read newspapers? Or, for that matter, to demand to see a search warrant. Or to remain silent when arrested.
    All are protected under the Bill of Rights. No questions asked.

What seems to have set Judge Scullin off is a local law that says that the police chief may issue a permit to carry a gun if “the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol.”

Washington, DC, requires the showing of actual death threats and complaints to the police. Living in a “high-crime” area isn’t enough, the law says. Permit applicants have to “allege, in writing, serious threats of death or bodily harm.”

No such conditions are attached to the Second Amendment. Scullin concluded that the District of Columbia had failed to demonstrate that there is a “relationship, let alone a tight fit,” between public safety and the “good reason” requirement.

So, he reckoned, the District’s “good-reason” requirement “runs afoul of the Second Amendment.” He blocked the city from enforcing its handgun law, and he set an “expedited schedule” to resolve outstanding details.

That suggested the judge was tired of local officials trying to resist several Supreme Court decisions on the Second Amendment. The Heller case, for example, established that the right to “keep and bear arms” is an individual right, not that of a militia.

Heller, though, was also a case from Washington, DC, which is governed, ultimately, by Congress. A second landmark decision, known as McDonald v. Chicago, required the states to obey the Second Amendment.

Could this pattern be repeated in the case just decided? It may be that the local authorities won’t appeal, lest they risk setting a national precedent. It’s also possible to imagine that Congress will wake up to what’s happening in its own back yard.

Could Congress pass a law turning the tables on recalcitrant local authorities? Such laws, known as “shall issue” laws, remove the burden on the permit applicant to show why he needs to carry a gun. It would put the burden on the authorities to show why not.

This is an irony for New York. The most progressive state is one of the most regressive when it comes to the Second Amendment. And it’s a far cry from New York’s roots; the state ratified the Constitution only on the condition that it would protect the right to bear arms. It carefully marked that condition in a famous statement put out in Poughkeepsie at the time the Constitution was ratified.

It asserted that the “people have the right to keep and bear arms.” It said nothing about them having to show good reason.

House Bill Will Require Gun Owners To Have Liability
    New York House Representative Carolyn Maloney has introduced a new bill that would force gun owners to have liability insurance or face fines of up to $10,000. According to Maloney, the stipulations in ‘The Firearms Risk Protection Act‘ would curb gun violence, much like car insurance has lowered vehicle fatalities because gun owners would be more careful. who has all the guns doing all the shooting? illegal gun owners.
    The Firearm Risk Protection Act, unveiled Friday, would require gun buyers to have liability insurance coverage before being allowed to purchase a weapon, and would impose a fine of $10,000 if an owner is found not to have it. Service members and law enforcement officers, however, would be exempt from the requirement.

“We require insurance to own a car, but no such requirement exists for guns,” Maloney said in a statement. “The results are clear: car fatalities have declined by 25 percent in the last decade, but gun fatalities continue to rise.”

Maloney said auto insurance carriers incentivize drivers to take precautions to reduce accidents, but no such incentives exist for firearm owners.

“An insurance requirement would allow the free market to encourage cautious behavior and help save lives,” she said. “Adequate liability coverage would also ensure that the victims of gun violence are fairly compensated when crimes or accidents occur.”

This is the second time Maloney, who is one of the biggest gun control advocates in Congress, has introduced the legislation. A few weeks ago she reintroduced legislation that would require sellers to obtain a background check for all guns sold at gun shows.

The Gun Show Loophole Closing Act, long championed by former Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), would subject anyone selling or transferring a gun to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and require that transfers be reported to the attorney general.
    - See more at: http://truthuncensored.net/house-bil....175V0vYK.dpuf

These are the kind of lib politicians that make laws then stick them down your throat. old fart politicians needs to go but people keep voting them in much like in this area of the state.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ent-supporter/

also:
    A report issued by the National Rifle Association revealed that last week, the House launched a new legislative proposal, the “Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act,” that would force aspiring gun owners to obtain a license before buying certain firearms, namely handguns.

The bill, if passed, would also expand background checks to all handgun sales and prohibit men and women under the age of 21 from buying handguns. It would also punish states that refused to implement the regulation by cutting off some of their federal funding.

NY Safe Act gun registration numbers low .. lots of people are not reg guns i guess the gov will have to figure out what to do.
    Gun owners are failing to comply with the New York Safe Act according to recent numbers released by the state.

The data shows only a small number of gun owners registered their firearms.

Police estimate there are approximately 1-million assault weapons in New York State. (never going to get these guns reg what does this state think people are going to comply)? The data shows that fewer than 45-thousand weapons have been registered and only 24-thousand people registered their firearms.

http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/sto...00C3kH8eGaoNsw

the breakdown by county# of people that reg their. NYSP had to hand over the breakdown very disappointing for andy..

(Paul Buckowski, Times Union)

With the State Police declining to appeal an earlier trial court decision ordering them to release the data, the number of people who have registered assault style weapons under the SAFE Act became public on Monday.

“I’m grinning from ear to ear,” said Rochester lawyer Paloma Capanna, who successfully sued on behalf of a client for the information.

The bottom line: 23,847 people since the 2013 law took effect have applied to register assault style weapons.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...comment-902481

Open Carry Patriot forgets to put on his "bad guy" sign.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...rder/29734969/

b.b.

Question

What are the current requirements for retired L.E.O.'s to keep their firearms (pistols/assault weapons) ?

Shouldn't they have to re-qualify for their permit - much like a first time civilian gun purchaser does ?

I wonder how many L.E.O.'s registered their "assault weapons" - or did they ignore the new law because they are L.E.O.'s ?

I know many times the L.E.O.'s bought guns years ago and the only thing they showed was a badge.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    What are the current requirements for retired L.E.O.'s to keep their firearms (pistols/assault weapons) ?

Shouldn't they have to re-qualify for their permit - much like a first time civilian gun purchaser does ?

I wonder how many L.E.O.'s registered their "assault weapons" - or did they ignore the new law because they are L.E.O.'s ?

I know many times the L.E.O.'s bought guns years ago and the only thing they showed was a badge.
    If you are talking to me, I don't own any long guns. I have a carry permit that I obtained before I became a LEO. As a retired guy, under LEOSA I have 50 state concealed carry with some restrictions based solely on my retired tin and credentials.

I purchased my last handgun on my badge, about a year before I retired. It was added to my permit when I got it updated just before I retired. I had an old paper permit that I had not given much thought to until retirement got close, then I got the card.

There is some question as to whether I am subject to the 10 round magazine restriction as LEOSA doesn't cover magazines. There was some changes to state law I'm told relative to the LE exception generally.

I was also advised that there IS a shooting qualification requirement for LEOSA, but no guidelines as to what they are. Do I shoot the Customs course, Local police course. Do I stand in front of a target and shoot up one magazine. Some states actually issue a LEOSA credential. New York does not.

Also not sure if the "assault" rifle restriction is applicable under LEOSA. That cop who killed his wives had his charge on a violative rifle dismissed based on LEOSA in Illinois. But I don't know and as I said, I don't own any long guns.

b.b.

Just askin - I know many LEO's who purchased AK and AR style rifles and pistols on their badge.

One guy I know actually carried his AR on tower duty at the prison - he received a letter from his Supervisor that stated the AR carbine was for his official use.

Just wondering what the guidelines are !

I also remember when a LEO i knew passed - his wife just sold all his stuff to a "Friend" - she didn't know the purchaser had to have a permit.

Just curious - I am all for retired LEO's keeping their personally paid for fire arms as long as they have a permit !

I don't believe they should be exempt from any laws they have to enforce / even after retirement !

Nothing personal .

The Dem controlled media must continue to wash away his common sense statements with immigration.

Otherwise people might understand he's saying what allot of America believes.

This man is a threat to America's current system of Political Correctness and Washington over rule.

Donald Trump:

“My advice is to remain vigilant. Harassment of this nature will always be with us, but we know that Americans have inherited a strong outdoor and shooting heritage that we are happy to defend.”

“The 2nd Amendment is right, not a privilege. The small minority of anti-everything activists may be vocal, but we have facts, and the Constitution, on our side.”

“I would also add that hunters contribute more to the preservation of game animals and their habitat than any of these protesters. Hunters are the original conservationists. To see this historically you have to look no further then Teddy Roosevelt and his creation of the National Parks System.”

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2015/07/dona...#ixzz3gG1jUdDs
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    “The 2nd Amendment is right, not a privilege. The small minority of anti-everything activists may be vocal, but we have facts, and the Constitution, on our side.”

“I would also add that hunters contribute more to the preservation of game animals and their habitat than any of these protesters. Hunters are the original conservationists. To see this historically you have to look no further then Teddy Roosevelt and his creation of the National Parks System.”

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2015/07/dona...#ixzz3gG1jUdDs
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook
    Except that whenever someone refers to hunters as objects of the 2A they are exhibiting their ignorance about the 2A. It is not about hunting. Hunting could be eliminated entirely with no impact whatsoever on the 2A. You can't hunt in Washington DC but the SCOTUS has held you have a 2A right to possess a handgun in your home for self defense.

So what we have is Trump showing what a blowhard he is.

Anyone who thinks his statements are supportive of the 2A is just as ignorant as he is about the 2A.

Very few people including pro gun even understand exactly why we have the second amendment... Hint it aint what it used to be.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Except that whenever someone refers to hunters as objects of the 2A they are exhibiting their ignorance about the 2A. It is not about hunting. Hunting could be eliminated entirely with no impact whatsoever on the 2A. You can't hunt in Washington DC but the SCOTUS has held you have a 2A right to possess a handgun in your home for self defense.

So what we have is Trump showing what a blowhard he is.

Anyone who thinks his statements are supportive of the 2A is just as ignorant as he is about the 2A.
    Penn & Teller on Gun Control

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread Information