Thread: Bottle deposit

Bottle deposit

Do we really need a bottle deposit anymore? And if so, should it be extended to ice tea and other bottles as well?

moonshine
    I thought the constructs of recycling were disproved years ago, but I still see people sorting their garbage. It's quite an odd behavior.

That was on an episode of Penn & Teller's "Bullsh|t" [edit - i hate censorship] on Showtime.

Great show if you are up late enough...

Will anything equal the Kramer/Newman strategy on Seinfeld (i.e. taking the bottles to another state to reap a higher deposit return)?

moonshine
    Will anything equal the Kramer/Newman strategy on Seinfeld
    As a native of pennsyltucky, I used to bring the bottles from the keystone state (non-deposit state) to new york and redeem them. The winners at the convenience stores rarely checked to see if they were legit.

Make it 10 Cents

Make the depost 10 cents on all plastic/alum bottles/cans.

When driving down thru other states, I am suprised at the number of cans/bottles on the side of the road.

Much better here..
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

I think you found a way to decrease the EC deficit. I will donate all my bottles if Giambra wants to send his driver to Michigan to get that extra nickel.

Originally posted by Nicolas II
    Will anything equal the Kramer/Newman strategy on Seinfeld (i.e. taking the bottles to another state to reap a higher deposit return)?

Actually this doesn't work. I've tried returning NY bottles in MI, but the modern automated bottle return machines scan the bar code and spit them back out if they're not local.

The bottle deposit / return program should stay. I remember tons of beer bottles and cans littering fields when I was a little kid. Now you rarely see them.

Hell, raise it to 20 cents.
    Think of all the economic spinoff we'll get from the Kramers and Newmans of the world.

renew it only if all bottles are included.juice drink water would be a start but why not mayonaise jars ketchup relish milk why pick on pop and beer.look at all the potential every aisle in the market with a deposit so what if it cost another hundred dollars a week you get it back.
    and 30% profit for those collecting the deposit, thats the average for non returned bottles now. include food that would have to be cleaned out first and the profits might reach 50% or more. best part is all the minimum pat jobs it would create
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Originally posted by granpabob
    renew it only if all bottles are included.juice drink water would be a start but why not mayonaise jars ketchup relish milk why pick on pop and beer.
    People tend to drink pop and beer on the go, making those conatiners items that are more likely to be littered.

How often do you see someone walking through the park eating a jar of mayo?

all those jars are supposed to be recycled. deposits would help recycling. look arround now and you will see water bottles everywhere they need deposits
    garbage mountains are growing all over. deposits on all containers would slow down the growth. even us old timers can see how recycling can save the enviroment .deposits might just get some more containers recycled
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Thread Information