Thread: Judge rules: DMV may NOT deny driver's licenses to any "illegals"

Judge rules: DMV may NOT deny driver's licenses to any "illegals"

NY Judge Rejects DMV Practice on Licenses (for illegals)
    By MICHAEL GORMLEY AP Writer
    May 11, 2005

The state Department of Motor Vehicles may not deny driver's licenses to immigrants who cannot prove they are in the United State legally, a judge has ruled.

The DMV has mailed letters to about 600,000 people statewide whose Social Security numbers could not be verified. About 252,000 haven't responded and would have been subject to license revocation. The state has 11.5 million licensed drivers.

Tuesday's ruling came in a lawsuit filed on behalf of five immigrants by the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund.

"Plaintiffs have faced and will continue to face serious injuries if these practices continue," state Supreme Court Justice Karen Smith wrote.

DMV Commissioner Raymond Martinez said the state will appeal. He said the agency imposed the restriction in 2002 to make sure drivers "are who they say they are." About 7,000 licenses were seized in the first months after the measure was put in place.

"New York state is fighting fraud and protecting New Yorkers from terrorism and other criminal acts," Martinez said. "Verifying a person's Social Security number is a common-sense and proven way to fulfill that important responsibility."
    ============================================

Where is there ANY point of ANY Homeland Security and the BILLIONS upon BILLIONS, we spend for it every year, if we "have no legal recourse", but to issue drivers licenses to all "illegals"?

Simply letting the DMV "do their thing", and verify citizenship, would be tremendiously helpfull to stop "illegals".
    BUT NO, we need to collect more mega dollars in taxes every year to fund Homeland Security, and create TONS of new special investigators (paid very, very well), in multiple duplicate type agencies, to try and "trace, and keep tabs" of any possible terrorists AFTER WE ISSUE THEM LEGAL LICENESES. We, legal citizens, have to even give up our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS for them to be able to do that job", while at the very same time, we are doing nothing but the utmost to PROTECT THEIR RIGHTS!!

THIS IS UTTER AND PURE NON-SENSE TO ME !

As I recall, Joel Giambra used "Homeland Security" funds to get his SUV vehicles? (monogramed special edition I believe) Getz not only had, and used a new SUV for his personal use, but also had a "backup" Ford Explorer.

Please, tell me, in what way, did Giambra or Getz, having an "extra", "new SUV" to use, make us any safer whatsoever? How did it "brace" us from terrorism, in any way whatsoever?

What was he going to do with it? Ram the terrorist with it? Run them over? Sit outside the location of the "lackawana five" and monitor them?

The only thing, I repeat, the ONLY thing the H.S. funds did, was give Giambra and Getz another "personal" use vehicle to (ab)use for their "personal" use - shopping, driving to and from home,etc.

I DON'T care if it really was county funds or federal funds used to get these vehicles. Either way, it STILL came out of our pockets. Both the county funds and federal funds are GONE. Yet our security is in NO WAY BETTER OFF than we were 3-4 years ago.

Waste, waste, and more idiotic waste!!

That's one of the main reasons why were so broke,... and STILL so insecure.

=====================================
    B.E.N. 10/6/2004
    "The number of Homeland Security vehicles has risen as the federal government makes more money available to local governments to brace for terrorism. Bartholomew has assigned a Homeland Security vehicle to Victor Getz, County Executive Joel A. Giambra's driver and senior aide, reasoning that Getz, while not an emergency official, is on call 24 hours a day. He also says Getz's Ford Explorer is a backup to the vehicle used to drive Giambra. "

Few of the take-home cars bear the Erie County seal, so they escape notice by residents. One consumer magazine puts the cost at running a car in Buffalo at $8,300 a year.
    =====================================

MORE "UTTER" NON-SENSE !

Border Patrol told to stand down in Arizona
    By Jerry Seper
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

U.S. Border Patrol Agents have been told not to make arrests along the border in Arizona. Over a dozen agents and at least one Colorado Representative have confirmed the orders, however the Chief of Border Patrol is denying such orders have been given.

But Rep. Tom Tancredo, Colorado Republican, yesterday said "credible sources" within the Border Patrol also had told him of the decision by Naco supervisors to keep new arrests to a minimum, saying he was angry but not surprised.

"It's like telling a cop to stand by and watch burglars loot a store but don't arrest any of them," he said. "This is another example of decisions being made at the highest levels of the Border Patrol that are hurting morale and helping to rot the agency from within.

"I worry about our efforts in Congress to increase the number of agents," he said. "Based on these kinds of orders, we could spend the equivalent of the national debt and never have secure borders."

Mr. Tancredo, chairman of the Congressional Immigration Reform Caucus, blamed the Bush administration for setting an immigration enforcement tone that suggests to those enforcing the law that he is not serious about secure borders.
    "We need to get the president to come to grips with the seriousness of the problem," he said. "I know he doesn't like to utter the words, 'I was wrong,' but if we have another incident like September 11 by people who came through our borders without permission, I hope he doesn't have to say 'I'm sorry.' "

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2032-5055r.htm

OPEN THE BORDERS - MORE ?

GIVE THEM LICENESES ?

PROVIDE THEM ALL THE "HEALTH CARE" OUR OWN VETERANS DON'T EVEN GET ?

What kind of policy is this? This gives a lot of credibility to the theory that "the powers that be" want immigrants to enter the country because they provide cheap labor, and increase the gap between wealthy and rich, effectively creating a slave type class within our society. "

Border Patrol told to stand down in Arizona

I honestly am astounded at what you've told us. I can't for the life of me understand what this judge is thinking????

driving is a privledge, not a right! and what right do people who are here illegally have???? Has the judicary lost it's mind???????????????????????????
    Thank you New York, may I please have another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riding through the Southwest, I've found that to be PC, you refer to them as "undocumented citizens."

I've always been for tighter border controls, but all these posts talking about creating a slave class to keep wages down is making me rethink this.

Maybe I'll bring a busload of 'em back to Buffalo to pick up garbage.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Originally posted by biker
    Riding through the Southwest, I've found that to be PC, you refer to them as "undocumented citizens."

I've always been for tighter border controls, but all these posts talking about creating a slave class to keep wages down is making me rethink this.

Maybe I'll bring a busload of 'em back to Buffalo to pick up garbage.

If you did, you'd have the unions all over you because that's their turf!!

At the very least they would try to organize them!!

Regardless of the immigration status!
    Thank you New York, may I please have another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And even with the Border Patrol sitting on their hands and "keeping new arrests to a minimum", we still can't get more inspectors at the Peace Bridge or Lewiston-Queenston so we're not waiting for hours when we want to cross the border!
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Thread Information