Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Showdown looms over city budget

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    NYS is still the best place to be if you have children. The culture in the south is very slow and they like "mediocre." No pressure. Great place to be if you are retired but NOT the place to be still raising children. Also, many places in the south are "Right to Work States" so there is no job security. In Florida there are 4 things to do...play golf, shop, go out to eat and go to the beach.

Do NOT expect to see a strong work ethic in the south and this is NOT Corporate America. You might even be shocked to see how they dress for church...everyone wears shorts including the men!
    At least they go.................who cares what they wear, it is Florida.

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    You are absolutely correct. This is the tactics used by the public sector when they don't like the reality of todays economy. Empty threats and a slow down of service. I wonder what the cost is to the taxpayers for the DPW. Let see things like wages, benefits, retirement benefits, health ins., cost of vehicles, gasoline, maintaince of vehicles, salt, supervision, over time, etc? Then I wonder why the suburbs OUTSOURCE the job to the private sector. What is the amount of the tax bill that is DPW related? Would it be cheaper to reduce the taxes and have the garbage picked up by private corps and outsource the snow removal to private enterprises? JUST A THOUGHT.
    Great points, not that I want to see anyone lose their job, but...................something HAS to give somewhere in LA.

Years ago the lawn mowing was done by the DPW and they said there was no man power, wah-wah.......so they out-sourced it.
    It amounts to a chunk of money in the budget......but I would loveeeeee to see a count of apples to apples to find the truth in the man-power hours, etc.
    The playgrounds,yes, Memorial Field, Veterans' ???.....Boulevard in Beth Park and old Foundry land next to Bocce Courts..... What other City grass needs to be cut....do they or us do Senior Ctr. grounds? Our guys do Friendship House and Lincoln with the City tractor.
    We definitely need a flow chart of man hours worked done......definitely!
    I would loveeeeeeeee to see the DPW employee count then, say about 1995 or so, vs now.......

Nothing against the DPW, many hard-workers there,....if the studies prove we need more manpower then give it to them....if it is patronage-----ZERO!

Quote Originally Posted by highestpropertytaxes View Post
    Youcangohome, what the heck are you smoking??? How many multi billion dollar companies are in Lackawanna? Lackawanna needs to attract more businesses and investement, that is how you grow the tax base with less burden on everyone. No one buys and fixes up rental properties in Lackawanna because the non-homestead taxes are so high that there is no profit in it. If we lower the non-homestead rate dramatically, you will see investment in Lackawanna and see revitalization of properties.

not perfect, but a step in the right direction by the council. And don't tell me that the city can't deliver services now. That is an empty threat that government uses to raise taxes. Does no one find it strange that all of a sudden DPW can't pick up recyclables??? Yeah right
    Get your head out of 123's ass. Rite-Aide, Walgreens, Dollar General, Mittal steel, Midas, Auto Zone, Key Bank, First Niagara.

Napa, Valvoline, Sunoco, Valu, rent to own, Best Western. Doesn't seen to be a shortage of companies locating in Lackawanna. Also, several millionaires that do business in Lackawanna then go home to Orchard Park and Hamburg.

Kind of like the police force, fire department and teachers... All go home to hamburg and orchard park.

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    Napa, Valvoline, Sunoco, Valu, rent to own, Best Western. Doesn't seen to be a shortage of companies locating in Lackawanna. Also, several millionaires that do business in Lackawanna then go home to Orchard Park and Hamburg.
    Wow. So you're saying our council is connected to all these big companies huh? By the way, most of these companies (gas stations, oil change places, etc) are found all over the place. What lowering commercial rates will do is also help bring other businesses (lawyers, small businesses, niche stores, doctors, etc) back into Lackawanna eventually. You also will get investors buying into rental properties to fix them up, once the commercial rates drop to the point that they can make a decent profit doing so.

Just because something also happens to benefit a big company doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

The reasons businesses move out of NY is because of high taxes and regulations. Same thing with cities and towns. Being business friendly is good for the people

Post Hold -Up jenrose66

Quote Originally Posted by highestpropertytaxes View Post
    Wow. So you're saying our council is connected to all these big companies huh? By the way, most of these companies (gas stations, oil change places, etc) are found all over the place. What lowering commercial rates will do is also help bring other businesses (lawyers, small businesses, niche stores, doctors, etc) back into Lackawanna eventually. You also will get investors buying into rental properties to fix them up, once the commercial rates drop to the point that they can make a decent profit doing so.

Just because something also happens to benefit a big company doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

The reasons businesses move out of NY is because of high taxes and regulations. Same thing with cities and towns. Being business friendly is good for the people
    November 1, 2011
    Lackawanna City Council Meeting

Resolutions:
    CDBG Program Agreement-Ingham Ave. Resolution No. 22, 2011
    WHEREAS, the City of Lackawanna is in need of funds for eligible programs
    under the Community Development Block Grant Program; and
    WHEREAS, the City of Lackawanna is desirous of obtaining financial assistance
    for these proposals; and
    WHEREAS, it is in the public interest that the City of Lackawanna apply for
    such financial assistance from the Community Development Block Grant
    Program through the Erie County Department of Environment and Planning; and
    NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER
    RESOLVED, that the Mayor be and is hereby authorized and directed to file
    applications on the forms prescribed by the County of Erie for financial assistance

in accordance with the provisions of the CDBG Program and upon approval of
    said requests to enter into and execute and agreement with the County of Erie or
    such assistance for the following projects:
    1. Ingham Avenue Paving Replacement Project
    2. Ingham Avenue Selective Curb, Driveway and Sidewalk
    Replacement Project
    RESOLVED, that various areas located in the City of Lackawanna meet HUDS
    Community Development Block Grant criteria designating it as a blighted area,
    eligible for Community Block Grant Funding.

This Resolution shall take effect immediately.
    Moved by Schiavi, seconded by Noman to authorize the Mayor to file application
    for financial assistance in accordance with the CBDG Program and execute an
    agreement with the county.
    Yeas: Noman, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski CARRIED 5-0
    ************************************************** *********************************************

" BLIGHTED " is the KEY word.................

Time will tell jenrose..............the "blight" makes us eligible for monies that other communities can not access......BUT, sadly, the "blight" also keeps out LOTS of families and businesses from coming in ........no matter what the tax rate is!
    " Norman's Way " folly--white elephant--dirt piles, behind his house is like a flashing red light every time you drive by it!
    Do they think this tax increase is going to make people run to build their dream homes in there when they can go to Hamburg?!? And the City has appr. $2mil of PUBLIC FUNDS tied up in there ........shame-shame!

ALL of this could have been avoided if we had , had an educated City Planner with a vision of a CLEAN-MODERN-VIBRANT Lackawanna, instead of men who sucked out what they could get for themselves the last 30 years playing their poli-tricks!

Makes me furious.....and sad! Homeowners are strapped and that flood insurance scam is beyond ridiculous here in LA!

Time will tell.....all!

Council cuts dept. heads' salaries

Lackawanna comptroller resigns in protest

Updated: Wednesday, 11 Jul 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
    Published : Wednesday, 11 Jul 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
    Luke Moretti
    Posted by: Eli George

LACKAWANNA, N.Y. (WIVB) - The political knives are out in Lackawanna. The city comptroller is quitting after the council cut his salary by two-thirds.

The council overrode Mayor Geoffrey Szymanski's budget line item vetoes, effectively slashing by two-thirds the salaries of two department heads: the city comptroller and the commissioner of public works.

Szymanski said, "I'm just calling on the City Council to meet as quickly as possible and try to correct this. I was left with the problem in which for the first time in the city, in the history of Lackawanna, we will not have a financial officer in the city of Lackawanna."

City comptroller Robert Marciniak is resigning, along with his deputy comptroller.

"Mr. Marciniak declared that he will return if his funds were reinstated, and that's very critical," the mayor said.

Mike Szukala, deputy comptroller for Erie County, says the comptroller and his deputy are the only ones with authority to move money between accounts or to issue wire transfers.

"The payroll accounts will have no money," Szukala explained. "The vendors' accounts will run out of money on July 31st or sooner. And health insurance will not be paid on July 31st."

Plus federal and state payroll taxes are due, and the later they're paid, the stiffer the penalties.

Szymanski said, "The IRS and New York State Office of Tax Collection, they have zero sense of humor. That's exactly what I was told. They want their money and they have the agents to give us the headaches that we do not want nor deserve."

Both the city comptroller and commissioner of public works are part-time and pay $30,000 a year. They were slashed to just $10,000 a year. The mayor is hoping the council will reconsider - and soon.

Copyright WIVB.com

Stand your ground City Council, he bit off his nose in spite of his face. Resign because your pay was cut? At least you were still receiving a check for your 2 day position. His wife is still bringing home a paycheck from the city. I hope ALL the authorities look into this city, it is LONG overdue!

Hire a comptroller instead of DPW workers, or wasn't that one of your political promises?

Oh well

Welcome to Walmart, do you need a shopping cart? Great job for a retiree. Welcome to the real world city employee.

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    November 1, 2011
    Lackawanna City Council Meeting

Resolutions:
    CDBG Program Agreement-Ingham Ave. Resolution No. 22, 2011
    WHEREAS, the City of Lackawanna is in need of funds for eligible programs
    under the Community Development Block Grant Program; and
    WHEREAS, the City of Lackawanna is desirous of obtaining financial assistance
    for these proposals; and
    WHEREAS, it is in the public interest that the City of Lackawanna apply for
    such financial assistance from the Community Development Block Grant
    Program through the Erie County Department of Environment and Planning; and
    RESOLVED, that the Mayor be and is hereby authorized and directed to file
    applications on the forms prescribed by the County of Erie for financial assistance

in accordance with the provisions of the CDBG Program and upon approval of
    said requests to enter into and execute and agreement with the County of Erie or
    such assistance for the following projects:
    1. Ingham Avenue Paving Replacement Project
    2. Ingham Avenue Selective Curb, Driveway and Sidewalk
    Replacement Project
    RESOLVED, that various areas located in the City of Lackawanna meet HUDS
    Community Development Block Grant criteria designating it as a blighted area,
    eligible for Community Block Grant Funding.

This Resolution shall take effect immediately.
    Moved by Schiavi, seconded by Noman to authorize the Mayor to file application
    for financial assistance in accordance with the CBDG Program and execute an
    agreement with the county.
    Yeas: Noman, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski CARRIED 5-0
    ************************************************** *********************************************

" BLIGHTED " is the KEY word.................

Time will tell jenrose..............the "blight" makes us eligible for monies that other communities can not access......BUT, sadly, the "blight" also keeps out LOTS of families and businesses from coming in ........no matter what the tax rate is!
    " Norman's Way " folly--white elephant--dirt piles, behind his house is like a flashing red light every time you drive by it!
    Do they think this tax increase is going to make people run to build their dream homes in there when they can go to Hamburg?!? And the City has appr. $2mil of PUBLIC FUNDS tied up in there ........shame-shame!

ALL of this could have been avoided if we had , had an educated City Planner with a vision of a CLEAN-MODERN-VIBRANT Lackawanna, instead of men who sucked out what they could get for themselves the last 30 years playing their poli-tricks!

Makes me furious.....and sad! Homeowners are strapped and that flood insurance scam is beyond ridiculous here in LA!

Time will tell.....all!
    I'm telling you, making your house nice is contagious...and the city can start by setting the good examples on what they upkeep. Let me give you an example. My neighbors started doing some landscaping and whatnot, that got me thinking that my garage could look better so I decided to paint it. My husband decided that the grass is getting a little too brown so he's watering it, and next thing I know my other neighbor starts watering his grass. I know it seems like dumb little things, but it's a domino effect. It's actually pretty interesting when you think about it.

I will also say I learned something reading this thread. I did not know that if you own a property that you don't live in that you have to pay the business tax rate on it. Now since they are lowering the business tax rate, does someone in city hall have the job of making that known? There are always plenty of doubles for sale, someone should tell the realtors to make mention of the new lower tax rate to encourage people to buy and fix.

Oh, and the funds for blighted areas, what is that? Is it ongoing? Wouldn't those be funds that could be used to spruce up the Center St. playground? Me and my husband had to laugh, out of sheer frustration the other day. We noticed the playground over the bridge had yellow caution tape around it. He's like "there, they did their job, they said we can't upkeep our playgrounds so just don't use them". It's sad to see, but at the same time, I even brought up to the city council and in a letter I wrote to the mayor that if they aren't going to fix the playgrounds, get rid of them so they aren't a community hazard.

Council Stand Firm

Hey Geoff, sounds like your boxer shorts are in a wad. Just call the Headhunter tomorrow for a replacement. Put an Ad in JobSeeker.

I read the article first, and then watched the video on channel 4.

Someone should tell these guys to stay off tv. The mayor just mumbles and jammers on and on.

And the other guy? Where did he get that suit? Geez

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Council cuts dept. heads' salaries

Lackawanna comptroller resigns in protest

Updated: Wednesday, 11 Jul 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
    Published : Wednesday, 11 Jul 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
    Luke Moretti
    Posted by: Eli George

LACKAWANNA, N.Y. (WIVB) - The political knives are out in Lackawanna. The city comptroller is quitting after the council cut his salary by two-thirds.

The council overrode Mayor Geoffrey Szymanski's budget line item vetoes, effectively slashing by two-thirds the salaries of two department heads: the city comptroller and the commissioner of public works.

Szymanski said, "I'm just calling on the City Council to meet as quickly as possible and try to correct this. I was left with the problem in which for the first time in the city, in the history of Lackawanna, we will not have a financial officer in the city of Lackawanna."

City comptroller Robert Marciniak is resigning, along with his deputy comptroller.

"Mr. Marciniak declared that he will return if his funds were reinstated, and that's very critical," the mayor said.

Mike Szukala, deputy comptroller for Erie County, says the comptroller and his deputy are the only ones with authority to move money between accounts or to issue wire transfers.

"The payroll accounts will have no money," Szukala explained. "The vendors' accounts will run out of money on July 31st or sooner. And health insurance will not be paid on July 31st."

Plus federal and state payroll taxes are due, and the later they're paid, the stiffer the penalties.

Szymanski said, "The IRS and New York State Office of Tax Collection, they have zero sense of humor. That's exactly what I was told. They want their money and they have the agents to give us the headaches that we do not want nor deserve."

Both the city comptroller and commissioner of public works are part-time and pay $30,000 a year. They were slashed to just $10,000 a year. The mayor is hoping the council will reconsider - and soon.

Copyright WIVB.com

Stand your ground City Council, he bit off his nose in spite of his face. Resign because your pay was cut? At least you were still receiving a check for your 2 day position. His wife is still bringing home a paycheck from the city. I hope ALL the authorities look into this city, it is LONG overdue!

Adios boys. We can finally get answers from people and not "I don't know." from a guy who should know. What happened to the surplus? "I don't know." How much money is in the reserve account? "I don't know." Please do a forensic audit on this city please!

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    Get your head out of 123's ass. Rite-Aide, Walgreens, Dollar General, Mittal steel, Midas, Auto Zone, Key Bank, First Niagara.
    Midas has been gone for a while guess you didn't notice?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information