Thread: Can you fail a civil servant test and still keep the position you were given?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Can you fail a civil servant test and still keep the position you were given?

Someone told me that one of the housing inspectors failed his civil servant exam but is still working in that office. Any truth to this?

I heard the same thing. I think he's related to someone.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Friends and family plan?

If they failed the test will they go into the civil servant pool and pick who scored the highest for the position as they should have in the first place? Or will they try to put the person into another position?

Yes, you can fail a civil service test and keep your position under Civil Service Regs. Two ways - One, you are allowed to stay in the position for up to 90 days after the results of the exam are released. Then you must be cut lose. Or - if you failed, but no one else passes, you can stay in the position.

If less than three active people are on the Civil Service list, it can be dismissed.

You can also be moved from one title to another. This happens frequently to those people whom the powers that be want to keep.

No matter what, if you fail a test, and there are at least three people who passed who will take the job, you're gone. It's occured that people have been "influenced" to "sign off" on tests they've passed, to allow someone who didn't pass to stay. (I admit I did this once.) I was promised a better, future, position if I "laid down" at the time. (And the promise was kept. Hey, it happens. Thanks Joel. You weren't all bad.)
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Then you must be cut lose. Or - if you failed, but no one else passes, you can stay in the position.
    That has to change. If you fail the job needs to be publicly reposted to find a qualified candidate. It makes no different which elected official you are related to.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    That has to change. If you fail the job needs to be publicly reposted to find a qualified candidate. It makes no different which elected official you are related to.
    Uh, How long have you lived here? That's the way it's done. I guess we need to remind you that you work for them. NOT the other way around. You play by their rules.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Uh, How long have you lived here? That's the way it's done. I guess we need to remind you that you work for them. NOT the other way around. You play by their rules.

All my life.

You know they are going to go kicking and screaming as we remove their fingers from our pockets

In all fairness, if someone has been trained, has months (or even years) of experience, and then fails an exam, it does make sense to keep them in the position. It's easy for those on this board to snipe, but within the Civil Service system, it's time-consuming and difficult to train an employee. Starting over is not efficient.

As someone who has taken a Civil Service exam (or two), I can say that some exams are simple (and you need to be an idiot to fail). Positions at the higher level can have very demanding exams. I took a test for a position within the Comptroller's Office when Poloncarz was in charge. The exam was (in essence) the NYS CPA exam. Throwing that kind of weight at someone who won't make the kind of money a CPA brings in was, in my opinion, overkill.
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

So shouldn't someone who was in the position for however long this guy was in it be able to pass the civil service examination for that job? I would think he would even have an advantage in the exam because is already working in the job. If you are doing the job but then fail the exam for the job you are already doing then you should not be in the job. Civil Service exams are not rocket science. And if this guy really was a housing inspector then he is in charge of making sure peoples homes and structures are safe. I don't know about you but I value the safety of my family and the guy that was saying things were safe or ok couldnt even pass his exam. What does that say to you?

Quote Originally Posted by unsilent View Post
    I heard the same thing. I think he's related to someone.
    He is the brother of the dept head of the parks dept. He is the biggest political ass kisser the town has so it will be hard to get rid of his brother. I have also learned the towns newest board member is of this guys ass. Its about time this guy has screwed so many town employees over the years he needs to start getting his chain yanked..

What town are we talking about? Their all ASS kissers !!!!! Most town/county work related picnic's are actually called a "FAMILY REUNION"

hahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpetbagger View Post
    What town are we talking about? Their all ASS kissers !!!!! Most town/county work related picnic's are actually called a "FAMILY REUNION"

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So now how do they advertise for a new inspector? What is the process?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So now how do they advertise for a new inspector? What is the process?
    Canvas the civil service list of eligible people who PASSED the test. No advertising needed, employment section of town website never shows job openings anyways.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Canvas the civil service list of eligible people who PASSED the test. No advertising needed, employment section of town website never shows job openings anyways.
    Well that is wrong. Which family member is in charge of job listings? Opps, I meant employee?

Thread Information