Thread: New York city schools want to ban 'loaded words' from tests

Tony Fracasso - Admin

New York city schools want to ban 'loaded words' from tests

New York city schools want to ban 'loaded words' from tests

By Brian Vitagliano, CNN

New York (CNN) – Divorce. Dinosaurs, Birthdays. Religion. Halloween. Christmas. Television. These are a few of the 50-plus words and references the New York City Department of Education is hoping to ban from the city’s standardized tests.

The banned word list was made public – and attracted considerable criticism – when the city’s education department recently released this year’s "request for proposal" The request for proposal is sent to test publishers around the country trying to get the job of revamping math and English tests for the City of New York.

The Department of Education's says that avoiding sensitive words on tests is nothing new, and that New York City is not the only locale to do so. California avoids the use of the word "weed" on tests and Florida avoids the phrases that use "Hurricane" or "Wildfires," according to a statement by the New York City Department of Education.
    Read the Full Article before responding on CNN

I think this is a bit much....

So our schools are officially saying, hey parents no need to talk to you kids about things! We'll just keep them dumb and ignorant for you.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Next they will want to ban "correct answers" from tests. As long as they try, as long as the make an effort, "correct" isn't all that important.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I"m not a parent but I feel kids don't seem as bright now-a-days compared to 15 years ago.

The theory of being politically correct started off as a good thing. After all, why offend people if you don't have to.

But, it's crap like this that will piss off any reasonable person:

For instance, the use of the word "birthday" or the phrase "birthday celebrations" may offend Jehovah's Witnesses, who do not celebrate birthdays. A spokesperson for the Jehovah's Witnesses declined to comment on the use of the word "birthday."

The Department of Education would not go on the record to explain the specific reasons for each word, which has left many to speculate and draw their own conclusions.

Halloween may suggest paganism; divorce may conjure up uneasy feelings for children in the midst of a divorce within their family. One phrase that may surprise many, the term "Rock 'n' Roll" was on the "avoid" list.

Piers Morgan's "Only in America": 50 banned words

And not good news for Italians: the Department of Education also advised avoiding references to types of food, such as pepperoni, products they said "persons of some religions or cultures may not indulge in."

"For instance, the use of the word "birthday" or the phrase "birthday celebrations" may offend Jehovah's Witnesses, who do not celebrate birthdays. A spokesperson for the Jehovah's Witnesses declined to comment on the use of the word "birthday.""

Said person decided to be a Jehovah's Witnesses, they weren't forced into it... who cares what they think about the word birthday. Were not talking about racist words here...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This shows you in my opinion the stupidity we have in some departments of our government.

I wonder what people like George Washington, Ben Franklin etc would say if a group of people said they wanted to ban words other than vulgarities in schools

Thread Information