Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Capitalism in our Schools

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Teaching Capitalism in our Schools

Do they teach anything like this in the Buffalo School District?
    John Stossel - Teaching Capitalism in our Schools

It's not on the test and since everyone is being evaluated on the test then no it is not taught in BPS.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That's not good. You have to make their minds spin. school can't be boring.

You need to understand what you're teaching in order to teach it. Sadly Capitalism is not a subject teachers by trade understand.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Do they still have home economics and shop in public schools?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

They did back in the late 80s/early 90s. More shop and less home economics. But if you think about it...those are two subjects that are critical. Being able to change your oil, make dinner, balance a checkbook and be somewhat handy with tools can save someone 10s of Thousands of dollars over their lifetime.

Sadly, education is not a trade that many capitalists understand. Incidentally, those trades that can save you thousands of dollars? Those aren't on the test and have mostly been phased out. That's what the data-driven approach to education is bringing us.

It is Technology Education, and Buffalo is violating state law and only has a few of these programs left. There are almost none in high school and a few in middle school. It is mandated still in middle school, which from what i hear they got rid of most of these programs even though it violates state law. And from what i hear they brought back a few HS programs this year after having almost none for the past 8 years, i heard 4 positions. My info maybe a little off but it is what i was told.

As far as curriclums, you people blame teachers, when in fact the state and or the district tells you the teachers what scripted curriculum you will be teaching.. The days of teachers making up their own lessons are becoming less and less.

In the new teacher evaulation laws teachers are not allowed to grade their own tests now..

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Sadly, education is not a trade that many capitalists understand. Incidentally, those trades that can save you thousands of dollars? Those aren't on the test and have mostly been phased out. That's what the data-driven approach to education is bringing us.
    Sadly, the real world is not a subject that the department of education understands. So are you for eliminating the department of education? I think our public schools were doing rather fine before that department was created.

Sadly, the real world is not a subject that the department of education understands. So are you for eliminating the department of education? I think our public schools were doing rather fine before that department was created.
    They started going downhill in 1964 when they threw God out of public school. From then on has been documented failure.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Ya...you're wrong.

The reality is education in America is not about education..and hasn't been so for a long time. It's about control of monopoly that quite frankly does not produce a produce that would be worth half of the investment.

Capitalists may not understand the bastardized system that exists today but frankly anyone with an ounce of common sense does not understand the logic that goes into our education system. That is unless you're one of the few who view eduction as a paycheck and a ticket to a pension. For those...the system makes perfect sense.

Also to note, there would not be standardized tests if kids were able to read and write at an acceptable level after 12 years in the system. The decline in the product of education is directly in line with the increase of power by the teachers who work in the classroom. To deny this crystal clear fact is utter ignorance.

I can guarantee you one thing...if there was a profit to be made and full control could be given to a capitalist organization...the US would be top 5 globally. Some of your friends might not have a job or a pension but that would just be a byproduct of a system that works.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    They started going downhill in 1964 when they threw God out of public school. From then on has been documented failure.
    In this case God has nothing to do with it. I think it has a lot with the mentality that everyone wins a trophy and the department of education un-focusing for the core subject matter. I also don't think they should have stopped paddling kids in school either. I remember getting cracked on the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Ya...you're wrong.

The reality is education in America is not about education..and hasn't been so for a long time. It's about control of monopoly that quite frankly does not produce a produce that would be worth half of the investment.

Capitalists may not understand the bastardized system that exists today but frankly anyone with an ounce of common sense does not understand the logic that goes into our education system. That is unless you're one of the few who view eduction as a paycheck and a ticket to a pension. For those...the system makes perfect sense.

Also to note, there would not be standardized tests if kids were able to read and write at an acceptable level after 12 years in the system. The decline in the product of education is directly in line with the increase of power by the teachers who work in the classroom. To deny this crystal clear fact is utter ignorance.

I can guarantee you one thing...if there was a profit to be made and full control could be given to a capitalist organization...the US would be top 5 globally. Some of your friends might not have a job or a pension but that would just be a byproduct of a system that works.
    Actually you are off base here. Historically the dropout rates are lower now than they were in years past. In fact the dropout rates used to exceed, by quite a large margin, the graduation rate. Then there was the "achievement gap" that looked at the rates b/w minority vs. majority students and tried to close this "gap" by lessening the rigor of the requirements. As a result, all of education suffered. More kids graduated, that's true, That's what the business model wanted, more graduates, data driven instruction and value-adding. Too bad the "graduate" had few skills. Failure became a dirty word in schools and grade inflation ensued. This movement had nothing to do with teachers. In fact teachers often spoke out against the "dumbing-down" of the curriculum. When the state tried to institute a more rigorous Regents exam in 2002 there were scores of parents who complained and were able to get the exam re-curved. No, better that everyone's a winner than children be challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    And most kids who are more challenging to educate would be running the streets and overflowing prisons because they would have little value in your capitalist system since the rates of return would be lower on those kids and thus would not be preferred investment choices.

And most kids who are more challenging to educate would be running the streets and overflowing prisons because they would have little value in your capitalist system since the rates of return would be lower on those kids and thus would not be preferred investment choices.
    First off..that really is not that far off from the current system. Think about that for a second.

Secondly, a 'Capitalist Education System' would tie the money to the kid..not the school. Which makes sense if you think about that as well. There would be money to be made of teaching even the worst students. You could bet your paycheck there would be schools that provided room and board as, in the end, it would be cheaper to provide almost everything for the kids rather than passing the blame on the parents like you like to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information