Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Club - Now, the argument must change...

Gun Club - Now, the argument must change...

Benderson sold the gun club site to a student housing developer for over $10 Million.

Now, the residents much change their argument from "why a retail lifestyle center is not good for the area to ""why student housing is not good fore the area."

I think the big issue was the traffic... but they are on Maple so...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

would it have really been that much additional traffic over the mess they already have in that area? Any time during the day that I've been on that section of maple it's been fairly busy

I don't doubt that they'll come up with some argument and fight this development too
    then a few years from now we'll start hearing complaints about the overgrown empty field that is an eyesore
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

I can think of one objection. The Sweet Home student housing. Have you ever seen such crap? Who would want another of those--anyplace in Amherst?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How so? Low quality building?

Now that's funny.......Amherst.. the retail capital of WNY?????, besides Cheektovegas.....and the residents are concerned?
    Yep they got the University....and whatever ungodly taxes it pays.. but put the students somewhere else? I can just see another Lisbon happening now

I am laughing so hard I can barely see the keyboard through the tears>

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How so? Low quality building?
    You got it. --Along with high density and no aesthetics. Just drive by. One wonders if even UB would approve of this construction on top of their campus.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Does student housing pay the same level of school/property taxes as any other rental apartment business?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    You got it. --Along with high density and no aesthetics. Just drive by. One wonders if even UB would approve of this construction on top of their campus.
    Admittedly, that newest set of buildings on Sweet Home are really ugly. Shockingly so.
    As far as UB approving - they don't have the ability to approve of anything they don't own. But, the Town should be blamed for approving these buildings.

And, didn't UB sue the Town a few years ago? I think they sued town for approving off-campus housing. UB wanted the monopoly on it.

I know several people who live around UB in Amherst off Maple. They were pissed when those idiots ran the Benderson project into the ground. The main reason was they assumed this would be the alternative.

I hope the section between N. Forest and UB becomes a nightmare for the Fairway idiots. Fell bad for the people I know East of N. Forest.

Those folks in that area also have the future of Westwood to worry about. One day you live in a nice quiet neighborhood where the only worries are an occasional stray golf ball, and the distant sound of gunfire on Saturday mornings. Next thing, BAM! your whole whole world falls apart.

But, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Those folks in that area also have the future of Westwood to worry about. One day you live in a nice quiet neighborhood where the only worries are an occasional stray golf ball, and the distant sound of gunfire on Saturday mornings. Next thing, BAM! your whole whole world falls apart.

But, whatever.
    I have always thought the Town should purchase Westwood. They could turn the clubhouse into a public community center. This would allow them to redevelop the town park off forest or just keep it as a park.

It would also allow them to develop the Audubon Course into a planned urban village /w a park with access of Millersport. This would allow the UB footprint to grow as needed but take traffic off Maple.

Right now the town is somewhat maxed out. But if this were to happen, Amherst could grow another 20,000 or so. If done to the right density, it would also make a light rail extension to UB North from UB South more likely. That in the long run would help redevelopment along the west side of Amherst...which would help a ton.

I'm repeated Res's question. Does student housing pay the say tax rate as other rental properties. Inquiring minds want to know.

I miss the old gun club. I always waited for the day when one of the shooters was going to turn around and start blasting away at the growing number of cars creeping into their formerly quiet habitat. (Sarcasm)

A long time ago, in a land far far away, that was a perfect place for a shooting range. Then came the developers. (Whoops, I'll pay for that one.)

It was also a operation that went silent when the sun went down. If I remember correctly, there was no outside lighting. Retail, and/or rentals, and the increased traffic isn't going to go silent when the sun goes down. And if it's student housing...... (I just lost the student vote.)

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Does student housing pay the same level of school/property taxes as any other rental apartment business?
    The student housing that is in play here would. It is not dorms operated by SUNY but rather an apartment complex that the target market is students. No different than any other rentals.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well as long as they are not given any tax incentives is should be a positive revenue generator. I can't see one reason why an incentive package if any would even be considered for rental properties. This isn't like an old historic building is being saved and reused. This is green space being filled in with rentals. Rental properties "can't leave" the area for greener pastures. If the "deal" can't be had without an incentive package too bad. No skin off anyone's teeth but the people trying to put the deal together. Make sense?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information