Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bills make huge historic free agent signing - Mario Williams

Buffalo Bills make huge historic free agent signing - Mario Williams

The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Now, let's sign Mario Manningham, and the Bills can feature the Mario Brothers.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

This is great news for Bills fans, no doubt. But I'd still rather have Obama lose than have the Bills win the Superbowl.
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

I think obsession is one of the deadly sins, isn't it?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
    This is great news for Bills fans, no doubt. But I'd still rather have Obama lose than have the Bills win the Superbowl.
    ODS is getting worse. Did you take your meds?
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    good for him, good for them. but someone is going to be paying more for everything, from parking to popcorn to beer.

i'd offer this question as a debate topic though: $100 million, whether its for 6 years (16+ million per) , or even for as long as 10 years ($10 million per) is a lot of money for playing a game on TV, where he'd be on the field for only a few minutes a game out of 60 minutes. Where is the outrage from the hard-working blue collar folks who b*tch about wealthy entrepreneaurs woh created a product or a company and created jobs for people..or the the invester (risking investment capital to win OR LOSE), that makes $5-10 million by allegedly "exploiting" everyone around him, while the athletes get a free pass?

Does everyone just visit the CSEA and SEIU and NY PEF web pages to see of they should protest or not ?
    One would think that even the NYS elected officials would be saying "NICE!!!...we get a huge piece of that from the tax bill!", and that will support many public sector workers going forward. THANKS RALPH!.

But, seriously, why is there nary a peep about hoe this guy just waltzes into town, signs for $100 million, while all of you bills fans are paying a kings ransom for parking, and everything else. It's not ralph's money...its $$ from fans and tv contracts and merch sales...but, aside from that:

If M&T just hired a guy for $50 million $$, what would bills fans and everyone else in WNY be saying about that ? but, oh its football player..so thats okay? Hey, im all for ANYONE who can market their talents and skills for the best $$...its suppl yand demand, im all for that. My question is about thee selective outrage over why its fine and dandy for an entertainer to get $20 million a movie, a sports entertainer to get $100 million for 6 years. (or even a huge lottery winner).but god forbid, someone makes a hundred million over a LIFETIME working for an invetsment firm or a consulting company (lets say a Bain Capital for example..jus tas an example), and everyone is outraged and is encouraged to vilify them ? If Ralph has all this $$...he surely could have LOWERED prices for hotdogs, parking, merch, nd everything else...but instead, is taking all the fans and supports $$, and redirecting it to Mario. (A super bowl victory may get him a ring, but you all and we all still have to go to work the next day..oh, we might get a parade for being "the best fans in sports".)

It's for debate...didn;t say there is a right or a wrong answer...but the perspecives should be interesting, because it comes down to basic human motivations: sports, football and entertainment brings other people simple recreational fun and pleasure, while at the same time someone in (private sector) business with a job making a lot of $$ is the target of scorn and "they're not worth it". Its an incredible double standard.

Enjoy.

What if Ralph wsa payimg him $200 million...at what dollar would any bills fan complain and start b*tching that mario is getting too much ? (personally, hes worth whatever they want to pay him..thats their risk.). im just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by wnyerlaughs View Post
    good for him, good for them. but someone is going to be paying more for everything, from parking to popcorn to beer.
    Not sure about that...

In 2010, the Bills drafted CJ Spiller at #9 with a contract of 5 years, $24.3M,$20.8M guaranteed.
    In 2011, the Bills drafted Marcell Dareus #3 with a contract of 5 years, $20.4M guaranteed.

In 2011, the NFL rookie cap started. To put this in perspective, in 2011 the contract for Spiller just the year before would have been about 4 years, $12.5M guaranteed. That is a difference of $8.3M in guaranteed money. On the flip side, if Dareus was paid #3 money in 2011 that is similar to 2011 #3 money his contract would have been $35M guaranteed. That is a difference of $14.6M in guaranteed money.

Essentially the rookie cap is going to free up 100s of Millions for veterans in the NFL at the expense of rookies. The Bills have the money for Mario Williams because they did not pay it to Dareus and whomever they draft this year and the next.

The downside is rookie contracts are only going to be 4 years for the most part. This is different than in the past when they were 5 and 6 years.

Essentially the NFL is going to shift to rewarding teams who work free agency right rather than teams who draft well.

Also to note, the salary cap is now $120.6M. Some teams were spending upwards of $150M per season. The Bills have hovered around $105M per year.

All in all the cap should help the Bills if they play it right..similar to Plan B Free Agency which Polian was a master of in the late 80s and early 90s.

WNYer,
    FYI, my seasons went down this year from $330 to $270... If they go back up next year to $330 i'll be fine with it.

Also keep in mind that next years TV contracts are worth almost $1 BILLION more than this year... that means ralph will get almost 30 MILLION more...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

OH BOY... Even sports brings politics here...... 8-(
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Truth is, the Bills have been spending under the cap for some years. Next year, the there's a level that all teams must be at in minimum spending, which the Bills are/were far beneath, so this isn't some huge financial hit that they're taking, which is why Brandon said not to worry about the resources.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Truth is, the Bills have been spending under the cap for some years. Next year, the there's a level that all teams must be at in minimum spending, which the Bills are/were far beneath, so this isn't some huge financial hit that they're taking, which is why Brandon said not to worry about the resources.
    Not positive but I think with the new TV contract, rookie and salary cap...running an NFL team at a profit is built in.

okay, now that you've all justified and rationalized how its notthat much of a hit, and you're fine with ticket prices and such, and most of the $$ comes from other contracts and other revenues, either way, its still "the fans" somewhere along the chain of enjoyment that are paying,..but that's really besides the point, no need to get into any of that. I agree with what you're saying totally.

Now, lets just cite an example from recent news: Mitt Romney is a multimillionaire of his own doing. So is Ralph Wilson. Actually, Romney even says that some team owners are freinds of his. Whatever, so be it.
    Many of the people on this board have never worked in or ever visited Wall Street, whether its the physical wall street or a wall street kind of job. All that most people know is what the media feeds them about a bad apple here and there (and i agree, yup, some bad apples here and there). But, while ralphie invests that $$, he expects a return in excess of the 100 million. In that sense, its an investment,,not a spend,,,and i know many of you know the difference.

What I'm offering here is an opportunity to sit back while you're justufying the Bills spending / investing 100 Million, while everyone here applauds and rationalizes it (im in favor of it also, its a free market), while at the same time, many posters on this board (not specifially this thread...but other peeps on the Occupy threads etc, and the anti-Romney, and anti 1%ers, you know the types).

Its just an interesting observation to see people justify and ratinalize and entertainer or sports guy (also an entertainer) get a free pass, while people like a romney, or HONEST wall street types, or wealthy investors, or even a rush limbaugh (yes, an entertainer also) are the continued targets of scorn and ridicule because of the $$ the earn. hey, earn as much as you can in a fre market economy, im all for it. Im not complaining...im just offering the doubleb standard out there for observation and comment.

So, where would obama's blue collar union peeps be on this ? After all, this football player will be earning gazillions more than the average fan, or even more than a bills staff member..yet.."thats okay"...but if it was a CEO of a company making that much $$, those same peep get their hoozah-whatsees in a tangle that its so unfair for a CEO to be making SOOOO much more than an employee. SO...apply that same standard to a professional athlete here. Like i said..im not complaining about it...i just wonder why the folks who normally begrudge CEO pay, stock options, investment firms, banks, rich people then support hte idea of $100 million pay packages for an athtlete,,,regardless of sport.

I know many of you can state it better than i can..i hope i did okay at spelling out the irony of it. Everyone justified and rationilzed the $$ for Mario. Now...what if someone just said "oh wow..mistake on romney's taxes..he's worth TWICE as much as we thought"...and somehow, being super wealthy makes him a bad guy.? As for Mario: great player,,,he's worth whatever they want to pay him..and no need to apologize...and id say same for Romney OR ANY OTHER VERY WEALTHY people...no need to apologize for becoming very wealthy.

i guess what im saying is....
    ...why do the private sector (honestly) wealthy people get vilified and mocked (except for george soros)...while sports heroes and entertainers are praised, lauded and idolozied for the big $$.?

my apologies..i know that really rambled...but i guess that last sentence there kind of sums it up.

TYPICAL BUFFALO....ANYTHING...ALWAYS PINNING YOUR HOPES ON THAT "SILVER BULLET"

Havent we learned anything from these unsuccessful past hopes and dreams...pinning the success on ONE entity??

Quote Originally Posted by wnyerlaughs View Post

i guess what im saying is....
    ...why do the private sector (honestly) wealthy people get vilified and mocked (except for george soros)...while sports heroes and entertainers are praised, lauded and idolozied for the big $$.?

That is a good question.

I think part of it is that people understand the obvious that professional athlete has an ability that they do not possess. Mario Williams is 6-8 290 and can do things physically that most humans can not. On the flip side, a bloke who works in a cubical does not the differences between himself and the CEO or the guy on Wall Street. Because they both go to 'work' they feel they are similar. The reality is they are not but that is just my take.

I also think that, unless you count rookies who have signed massive contracts only to be a bust, there is no stealing or corruption in professional sports. Mario Williams had to earn both of his contracts.

But mostly it comes down to envy. For many reasons, as a society, it is OK to idolize the professional athlete but not the CEO.

You guys are so gullible …. In the World of Football (NFL) when a play is sent to a team like the Buffalo Bills its because he is on the way down. A team like the Bills are called has-been teams where all the average players once who all were hot players in their careers are now nothing more than mediocre players.

You will learn a valuable lessen with this new (L’II take your money then move on) type player. The Buffalo Bills is that sucker team who is so disparate they will give any amount of money to make the team look good in the NFL. In all reality … The Buffalo Bills will never win a super bowl, never have a winning team, will always be a small market team.

This newest player Mario Williams … why would such a player want to be playing for the Buffalo Bills … simple no other NFL team were willing to pay his unseen amount of money except for this dumb, stupid team call the Bills. If other teams didn’t think Williams was worth his price except the Bills is the most dumbest move the Bills have ever done in all there years.

I give this Mario Williams one (1) season after which, he will move on. A Hundred Million Dollars, making this a little over a Million per game, a 1 Million per sack he averages 2.5 sacks per game LOL In Los Vegas they called this a suckers bet, and the Buffalo Bills has made the biggest sucker bet of a life time.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information