Thread: Soup Anyone???

Soup Anyone???

I need a good vegetable soup guys. Anyone have a simple one?

Crushed Tomato
    Potato
    Carrot
    Onion
    Celery
    Water
    Basil
    Oregano
    Parsley

Cook in a crock pot for about 6-8 hours, then add barley and let it cook for another hour or two. Served with french bread

Quote Originally Posted by SafeWNY View Post
    Crushed Tomato
    Potato
    Carrot
    Onion
    Celery
    Water
    Basil
    Oregano
    Parsley

Cook in a crock pot for about 6-8 hours, then add barley and let it cook for another hour or two. Served with french bread
    OK Safe where have you been hiding~~that sounds amazing! Never thought about using the crock. OK, do you put in chicken broth at all?

Whenever I prep onions, peppers and celery (and other vegetables as well) for sauteing, I put the end pieces in a bag in the freezer. When the bag is full, it's time to make soup. I boil and simmer these vegetables first as a base for my stock. I toss them when I'm done. Then I'll make whatever soup, chicken, turkey or beef. I'll boil the carcass in the vegetable stock. The broth ends up being very flavorful.

All the above!

I'll use or make chicken broth for the soup too - but it doesn't need to be.

Mesue - we do the same thing - ham bones, chicken or turkey carcasses - they all make great soup stock.

On a side note - there's been a crock pot of Manhattan Clam Chowder on since last night that is really smelling good right now....is it lunch time yet???

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    Whenever I prep onions, peppers and celery (and other vegetables as well) for sauteing, I put the end pieces in a bag in the freezer. When the bag is full, it's time to make soup. I boil and simmer these vegetables first as a base for my stock. I toss them when I'm done. Then I'll make whatever soup, chicken, turkey or beef. I'll boil the carcass in the vegetable stock. The broth ends up being very flavorful.
    Nice mesue, very orderly and that I am NOT. I am a quickie and that is how I do my dinners.

Now my mom and grandmother (God rest her soul) did just what you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeWNY View Post
    All the above!

I'll use or make chicken broth for the soup too - but it doesn't need to be.

Mesue - we do the same thing - ham bones, chicken or turkey carcasses - they all make great soup stock.

On a side note - there's been a crock pot of Manhattan Clam Chowder on since last night that is really smelling good right now....is it lunch time yet???
    Well, I got my fixin's to make my soup. I did the item list you mentioned, however I will add string beans, zucchini, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes to the pot. I'm making that for Thursday's dinner...thanx safe.

soup is on and it is awesome. I chose not to use chicken stock. I added chili powder and crushed red peppers. Bam.....it is really good.

Let's see some Montepuciano and french bread and we are all set. Oh topped with fresh parm.

Do you guys remember the restaurant on Niagara Street in Buffalo called (forgive my spelling) Sanisaro's? They had the best pasta fasioli soup in the world. Well go to Sinatra's on Kenmore off of Hertel and try their pasta fasioli. So I disected the soup and made it. Here is the recipe.

2 cans of small baby lima beans
    1 can of the large butter lima beans
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 link of hot italian sausage (pre-cooked)
    spinach
    crushed red pepper
    salt/pepper

Saute' 3 cloves of garlic in light olive oil
    put in the three cans of beans including the juice of course
    3 cans of water
    salt/coarse pepper
    crushed red pepper all the seasonings are done to taste
    heat on low and let it cook for 20 minutes

Then add the hot italian sausage broken into small pieces
    spinach

simmer for about three - four hours adding at times a touch of water

Add your noodles whatever you want. This soup is good for uyou and tasty!!

I bought a vitamix last year - makes great soup

2 tomatoes
    2 carrots
    big handful of baby spinach
    1/2 avacado
    1 stick of celery
    1/4 slice of red pepper
    2 green onions
    1/2 cup of chicken broth

Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes for a cheese and nut flavor, or add 1/4 cup of cashews.

Stuff it all into the Vitamix, spin on high for 6 to 8 minutes to get it piping hot.

Now here's a secret I learned. Don't just turn off the vitamix - you'll have a lot of froth in the soup. Instead turn it down to the point where it is no longer swirling and a wait 5 to 10 seconds for a collection of air bubbles to form on the top and then it starts swirling again. Lower the speed again and repeat 2 or 3 times until all the froth is gone.

Makes two large bowls of soup. Eat 'em both and you'll have your veggies for the day.

Also makes a great potato-corn-broccoli chowder

The great thing about the vitamix is that you are getting the whole food - not just the juice.

And it makes great smoothies from frozen fruit (I freeze fresh bananas and oranges and then use them with 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of skim milk, and 1 teaspoon of real vanilla extract - takes less than a minute to make.)

Thread Information