Thread: Primo Oliva and Tuscany on Main

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Primo Oliva and Tuscany on Main

It seems odd that there are two olive oil stores within a stone's throw of each other on Main Street. It seems like a niche product and an over-saturation of the market. Is the demand for olive oil in East Aurora so high that it can support two establishments selling the same thing?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    All they sell is olive oil? That is it?

I stopped in to Tuscany on Main and they had various Balsamic Vinegars, high end pasta, sauces, but the emphasis is definitely on the various olive oils. I have not been to Prima Oliva, but I presume it is similar. Quite frankly, I intended to go to Primo Oliva but I mistakenly went into Tuscany on Main. As I drove away, I saw Primo Oliva on the next block and that's when I realized that these two specialty stores were located so close to each other. My thought is that it might be better for one to re-locate to Orchard Park or Hamburg so as to reach a different market. I bet the owners of these stores are in real conflict with each other.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I do know over the last 30 years I have computer shops open up basically within walking distance. They all ended closing up. There is only so much business to go around I suppose. People gotta eat.

I just realized another weird thing. On the same block as these two olive oil stores, there are two cupcake stores. What the heck? Don't these merchants have any imagination or sense of marketing? I don't get around much, but I'm not aware of too many cupcake stores. East Aurora has two in one block? Plus, down the block on Elm Street you have a wonderful bakery that sells, among other things, cupcakes! Weird.

Trust me, it was a shock to my wife and I when we opened Tuscany on Main that another olive oil store would open down the sidewalk a mere 100 ft. The odd thing is they knew we were there, heck she even stopped in our store during construction and was asking a ton of questions before disclosing she was the franchisee owner from Hamburg. Turns out she signed a lease a month later and opened a month after we did.

But they are very different. First and foremost, we are not a franchise. Our territories, prices, products and means of operation are not set by some out of state corporation. Tuscany on Main is owned by my wife and I which gives us the leg up on our competition because we can buy from anyone we want and carry anything we want. For example, we buy our olive oils and vinegars from several different farms, all small family owned. This allows us to pick and choose the very best oils. The franchises import over a 1,000,000 gallons of oil from third world countries like Tunisia. Tough to control quality therre.

But Tuscany on Main is so much more. We have artisan cheeses from Nickel City Cheese, fresh baked breads from Elm Street Bakery, Italian chocolates from Donna Toscanna, all natural and hand made pastas from Italy and sauces that are of this world. Looking for olives or a dip or spread to go with that fresh bread, yep you guessed it we have that too. Try some of our Olli sausage, we have a Calabrese which is a spicy salami or a sweet salami cured with salt and pepper.

These are just some of the products my wife and I have found over our travels and have brought into our stores for you to enjoy. The franchises? Well if their franchisor doesn't sell it to them, they can't sell it. So boring.

We welcome you to stop by either of our stores (Main Street E. Aurora across from the Theatre or 425 Elmwood @ Bryant) and experience the taste. We are confident you'll love the opportunity to taste over 75 different olive oils and vinegars.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    All they sell is olive oil? That is it?
    Oh no, a front, like in the Godfather..... watch out. hahaha ???
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

I like good Olive Oil. I haven't been to this place yet, but I appreciate you taking the time to explain the difference between you and the franchises. That goes a long way in my book. I'll see you at your store.

Thread Information