Thread: Kearns to Run for vacant Schroeder Seat in NY Assembly

Kearns to Run for vacant Schroeder Seat in NY Assembly

The Erie County Republican Committee has endorsed Michael (Mickey) Kearns in the special election for the assembly seat formerly held by Marc Schroeder. The 145th assembly district is comprised of South Buffalo, West Seneca and Orchard Park. Even though Mickey is a Democrat, the GOP supports his candidacy because he has consistently voted conservative, independent, and moreover has been shunned by rank and file democrats. As a City Councilman, Mickey has fought hard for his constituents against the corruption in City Hall, and has acted independently of the Democratic Party on behalf of the citizens.

Furthermore, rather than give a free pass to Chris Fahey, his opponent, and an aide to Brian Higgins, the Republicans have decided to back Mickey. Mickey is independent, much like Jimmy Griffin, and a thorn in the side of the Democratic Party and Len Lenihan's political machine.

While Fahey's experience consists of being a $80,000/year aide to Brian Higgins, Mickey has served his constituents and the taxpayers well in the Buffalo Common Council opposing corruption in City Hall, and being the champion of fiscal restraint. Chris Fahey wiill be a rubber stamp for Sheldon Silver and the type of liberal politics that have cost New York State 18 congressional representatives over the past 50 years.

Mickey's victory will be a big loss for the City of Buffalo but a huge win for Western NY.

The special election is March 20th.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Let me start by saying I don't have a horse in this race, but I am always interested when the Republican Party endorses a Democrat for a seat and why.

With that being said, I checked out both of their web-sites.

Kearn's sure looks like the better candidate.

But hey, thats just my opinion.
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Wow, this is going to be interesting. Mr. Fahey has the backing of Brian Higgins, and his large Democratic following. I'm sure Tim Kennedy and other Democratic players will jump on this band wagon soon enough. Oddly enough, the Conservative party has endorsed Fahey as well, which is a departure from the usual Republican/Conservative tag team we normally see. ( http://www.buffalonews.com/city/poli...icle707977.ece ) He also brings valuable connections to the table, which will serve him well, but may be viewed by some as a hinderence.

I think Mr. Kearns faces an up hill battle in this race, just as he did running for Mayor of Buffalo. I think he would be a good choice, as I see him as someone not willing to conform and spout the party line. He is often campared to Jimmy Griffen, which is not a bad thing in the areas of representation. However, given the Rep to Dem ratio, it will be intersting to see how people vote, as well as how many actually go to the polls.

The issues I have with this process, is that my mailbox will once again be filled every day with mailers, and my phone assaulted with robocalls, which really turns me off to the process as a whole.

Oh well, here we go again!
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Thread Information