Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Lackawanna City Council Agendas/Business

I agree, great move council. We can't restore departments to full capacity if full capacity is being measured by the size of the department pre-great recession, and with an ever shrinking population base. We taxed too much in NYS, especially in western NY. We need more local governments to act responsibly, and look to shrink the size of government and get our tax base in line with the rest of the country. I also like the move to try and reduce the non-homestead property tax rate, which was rediculous.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by highestpropertytaxes View Post
    I agree, great move council. We can't restore departments to full capacity if full capacity is being measured by the size of the department pre-great recession, and with an ever shrinking population base. We taxed too much in NYS, especially in western NY. We need more local governments to act responsibly, and look to shrink the size of government and get our tax base in line with the rest of the country. I also like the move to try and reduce the non-homestead property tax rate, which was rediculous.
    http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/3640189.html

Population, 2010 18,141
    Population, percent change, 2000 to 2010 -4.8%
    Population, 2000 19,064

Which local political party controls Lackawanna (city), New York for the most part?

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    ************************************************** *****************************
    Communities » Lackawanna
    Lackawanna

Showdown looms over city budget

By Jay Tokasz
    News Staff Reporter
    Published:June 12, 2012, 12:00 AM

The Lackawanna City Council has rejected many of Mayor Geoffrey M. Szymanski’s budget initiatives, including expansion of the city’s payroll, setting up a potential showdown over the 2012-13 budget.

The Council on Saturday unanimously adopted a budget of $23.6 million — or $816,965 less than the $24.4 million Szymanski proposed spending.

“The majority of this difference can be found in the reduction of additional personnel proposed in departments that we believe are not necessary and the city cannot afford,” Council members said in a letter to Szymanski.

The Council eliminated the proposed hires of four public works employees and a police officer, while also dramatically trimming the salaries of two part-time department heads.

Szymanski has 10 days to review the budget and decide if he will veto any of the changes.

The mayor in an interview Monday said he was surprised by the Council’s actions, especially the moves to reduce the salaries of longtime department heads Thomas Love, who serves as commissioner of public works, and Robert Marciniak, city comptroller.

Both Love and Marciniak retired and began earning pensions but continued in their posts on a part-time basis, earning less than $30,000 per year in city salary.

Critics have cited the arrangement as a classic case of double dipping, but former Mayor Norman Polanski staunchly defended the deal as a break for taxpayers, saying the city received experienced leadership at less than half the cost of a full-time department head.

Szymanski retained Love and Marciniak following his election last November.

But the Council decided to reduce their salaries to $10,000.

The mayor labeled those moves “reckless.” Love already works 40 to 60 hours per week for part-time pay, Szymanski said.

“To expect him to work for that much sounds like they just want him out,” he said.

The mayor also criticized the Council for scheduling a meeting at 8 a.m. Saturday to adopt the budget, when they’ve had his proposal in hand since May 10.

The budget was adopted 5-0 without discussion and the meeting was over within moments of the pledge of allegiance. This budget process is Szymanski’s first as mayor.

“What I find most disturbing is they presented the budget at 7:59 when the meeting was scheduled for 8 a.m. So much for transparency,” Szymanski said. “We tried telling them it was not a reasonable time to meet.”

The Council, which was required by City Charter to adopt a budget by Sunday, met last Tuesday in a lengthy work session, during which they discussed the mayor’s spending plan line by line. Some Council members expressed skepticism of the hiring proposals at the work session.

The Council did go along with the mayor’s proposal to hire two new firefighters to help reduce overtime in the department. The department is on pace to exceed its overtime budget this year by more than $250,000.

The mayor said the hires in public works and the police would have restored those departments to their full capacities.

The mayor said he will review the council’s adopted budget.

jtokasz@buffnews.com
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************
    Great move Council!
    Thanks for having the Citizens who live here backs! I realize it is hard on businesses ......but thank goodness the Council has the guts to stand up to a political payback budget.............it was way too large of a tax shift to put onto the backs of Citizens......half of whom live in neighborhoods deemed " blighted " by NYS!

Just keeping it real.
    Is he going to VETO it now is the question?!? Geoff, please, just go along with the Council's Budget...it would behoove your administration. People will NOT forget.
    P.S.
    Thank goodness the " double dippers---one of them is a TRIPLE DIPPER" and the Mayor's cousin, are exposed for their .............!!!!! Working 40-60 hours a week??? Please!

" Both Love and Marciniak retired and began earning pensions but continued in their posts on a part-time basis, earning less than $30,000 per year in city salary.
    "
    Who are they kidding?!?
    Because of their age, retired status, and already collecting their fat monthly retirement checks.......NYS LAW does NOT allow them to earn more than $30,000/year until they reach 70 or somewhere there about...........or I bet they would because they have an " I deserve it family and friends, " grab-it attitude!
    The part-time retired Comptroller stated publicly that ALL of the retired Dept. Heads only work 19 hours/week for their $30,000/yr.......and one has had a take home vehicle to Hamburg for 8 1/2 years........what is with that?!?
    Again.....Thank You Council!

Is this guy for real??? The Council shaves almost a million dollars from his budget and he says “What I find most disturbing is they presented the budget at 7:59 when the meeting was scheduled for 8 a.m. So much for transparency,” Szymanski said. “We tried telling them it was not a reasonable time to meet.”

I don't care if they met at 4:30 in the morning at the Cherrystone as long as they cut a million dollars out of the budget. Szymanski has been a huge disappointment. You would think a young, educated individual would rise above old time Lackawanna politics and find creative ways to move the City forward. Instead he operates like it was 1950 and Bethlehem Steel was still making steel. Do you think he wanted to "fully staff" public works or he promised 4 jobs to his friends?

About the only creative thing so far is his "first time ever" apology to the firemen in the Front Page a few weeks ago. By the way, it wasn't the first time a publilc official apologized, but....whatever.

Hate to say it but people can't say they weren't warned about "Old School" Geoff. Instead the people who questioned his true political leanings before he was elected were called liars and slanderers. Well how is that more of that same old Lackawanna political bs looking for you now?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/3640189.html

Population, 2010 18,141
    Population, percent change, 2000 to 2010 -4.8%
    Population, 2000 19,064

Which local political party controls Lackawanna (city), New York for the most part?
    The city has not had a true representative from any party other than the democratic party on the council since 1991.
    The city has not had a republican mayor since 1972.
    Mostly the city was ran by the former Conservative Chairman indirectly for years.

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post
    Is this guy for real??? The Council shaves almost a million dollars from his budget and he says “What I find most disturbing is they presented the budget at 7:59 when the meeting was scheduled for 8 a.m. So much for transparency,” Szymanski said. “We tried telling them it was not a reasonable time to meet.”

I don't care if they met at 4:30 in the morning at the Cherrystone as long as they cut a million dollars out of the budget. Szymanski has been a huge disappointment. You would think a young, educated individual would rise above old time Lackawanna politics and find creative ways to move the City forward. Instead he operates like it was 1950 and Bethlehem Steel was still making steel. Do you think he wanted to "fully staff" public works or he promised 4 jobs to his friends?

About the only creative thing so far is his "first time ever" apology to the firemen in the Front Page a few weeks ago. By the way, it wasn't the first time a publilc official apologized, but....whatever.
    Well if a minute early is all he can find wrong then obviously the council is doing a great job. As the saying goes the early bird catches the worm.

Post More to the story.......much more!

Slowly the skin of the onion is being peeled off..........slowly but surely.......yes, indeed, the facts are being revealed........and eyes are being opened at last!

Filling crucial jobs due to retirement, etc. is one thing........but , " FOUR " DPW positions .....done at the expense of the unsuspecting and constantly struggling tax payers........come on! Contracting out services when necessary will save the City Budget in Cadillac benes, etc.
    " FOUR " BIG-BUCK jobs........ Seen through and thwarted by the Council, thanx again!

Petty poli-tricks is what I call it......and down-right illegal and unmoral some of the " deals " that have gone down! Keep peeling Lord.....keep peeling!

Yes......it has always been about the jobs for the family and friends in Lackawanna......
    I hear a Lackawanna high ups wifey recently got a hook-up within the County.....anyone know if this is true?

AGENDA
    COUNCIL MEETING
    MONDAY JUNE 18, 2012
    www.lackawannany.gov
    Meeting called to order/Pledge of Allegiance
    NB: Meeting being recorded.
    Roll Call: Council: Noman, Darch, Kulczyk, Lewis, Pirowski
    Dept Heads: Law, Pub.works, Pub. Saf., Rec., Dev.
    Hearing from Citizens:
    Approval of Minutes: of regular meeting of June 4, 2012 and special meeting of
    June 9, 2012
    Department Reports:
    1. City Compt. – AP Check Listing #40, May 31, 2012
    2. City Treasurer – City Treasurer’s receipts to General Fund for month of
    May 2012
    3. City Clerk- monies received for month of May 2012
    4. City Compt.- A/P Check Listing #41, June 7, 2012
    5. City Compt.- Statement of Condition of Appropriations as of May 31,
    Communications from the Mayor:
    6. Mayor Szymanski – informs Council of project information and funding
    for various issue within the City.
    7. Mayor Szymanski – requests Council give Department of Public Works
    direction to address issue of condition of Maintainer’s Shop in
    Department of Public Works.
    8. Mayor Szymanski – seeks Council approval for funding repairs of
    Rosary/Ridge Rd bridge, garbage totes and problems with North and
    South Branch of Smokes Creek.
    Communications from Department/Division Heads:
    9 Director of Development – seeks ordinance relating to the controlling of
    rodents and stray cats.
    10. Commissioner of Public Works– requests Council for City Clerk to
    advertise for bids to seal the bridge decks on both the Centennial and
    South Shore Bridges.
    11. Business License
    Industrial Materials Recycling, LLC- 3175 Hamburg Turnpike
    Jeremy Richards Immigration Law- 2731 South Park Ave
    12. Entertainment Licenses:
    Our Lady of Bistrica Croatian RC Church- 1619 Abbott Rd-5day permit
    Tabled Items:
    Adjournment
    ************************************************** ********************************************
    # 6. ??????????

# 7. MILLIONS, I mean BIG $$$$$$$, have gone into the DPW over the past six years that I am aware of. MILLIONS!
    I realize there was "appropriated" monies for equipment, for the building structure, etc. And nobody addressed this till now???? WT flip?

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

COUNCIL MEETING DATES FOR 2012

Monday, July 9

No Council Agenda for Monday as of yet on City web...........

Post Historically.......here we go again!

Monday, July 9

No Council Agenda for Monday as of yet on City web...........

Monday, August 13

I can't find Monday's agenda on City web.......am I missing where it is?

Post Late, but, Thank You!

Monday, August 13

I can't find Monday's agenda on City web.......am I missing where it is?
    AGENDA
    COUNCIL MEETING
    MONDAY AUGUST 13, 2012

www.lackawannany.gov
    Meeting called to order/Pledge of Allegiance
    NB: Meeting being recorded.
    Roll Call: Council: Noman, Darch, Lewis, Pirowski
    Dept Heads: Law, Pub. Works, Pub. Safety, Rec., Develop.
    Hearing from Citizens:
    Approval of Minutes: of special meeting of July 9, 2012 and regular meeting of July
    19, 2012
    Departmental Reports:
    1. City Compt. – A/P Check Listing #45, July 12, 2012
    2. City Compt. – A/P Check Listing #46 July 19, 2012
    3. City Compt.- A/P Check Listing #47 July 26,2012
    4. City Compt.- A/P Check Listing #48, July 31, 2012
    5. City Compt.- Statement of Con. of Approp. as of June 30, 2012
    6. City Treasurer- receipts deposited to general Fund for month of July 2012
    7. City Clerks Monthly Report for July 2012
    Communications from the Mayor:
    8. Mayor Szymanski –submits brief review of critical issues in the City (i.e.)
    Garbage Totes, Flood Plain, Ridge Rd Bridge at Rosary Ave., City Bridges,
    Melroy Crosswalk, City Playgrounds and DPW Incinerator.
    9. Mayor Szymanski – advises Council of meeting with Corp of Engineers re: Flood
    Control Project requiring Stream Bank Stabilization.
    Communications from Council
    10. Councilmember Lewis- requests purchasing agent secure of costs of Melroy
    Crosswalk, request webmaster to place operating budget to website and Develop/Assr to
    solicit proposals for Martin Rd Project.
    11. Councilmember Noman- requests Council cancel contract with Bolton St. Johns,
    Lobbying Services.
    12. Councilmember Noman- Requests foreclosure and demolition process begin for
    property at 89 Holland.
    13. Councilmember Noman- requests an extension of the reverter clause for 3
    properties.
    14. Councilmember Noman- request a complete list of properties with reverter
    provisions within 10 days of Council meetings
    15. Councilmember Darch- requests approval of resolution authorizing mayor to
    appoint a Floodplain Coordinator.
    Communications from Department/Division Heads:
    16. Director of Recreation- Global Concepts Charter School requests
    permission to use Lehigh Soccer Field for JV Soccer from 8/20/12-10/31/12
    17 City Comptroller submits Standard Work Day Reporting Resolution as
    required by NYS Law.
    18. City Attorney- requests to meet with Council in executive session of August
    13, 2012
    19. City Attorney submits Resolution to transfer $500 to Baker Homes Tenant
    Council.
    20. Director of Development- submits notification of classification from
    Building Code Enforcement Agency.
    21. Public Safety- submits proposal of Delta Development for Melroy crosswalk.
    22. Public Safety- advises Council that TSA approves a stop sign northbound on
    Wilmuth at Olcott.
    23. Asst. City Attorney – submits various traffic ordinances
    24. Recreation Director submits list of players in Yemen Soccer Club at $6.00 a
    player.
    Communications from Citizens
    • 25. Lackawanna Little Loop requests portable toilets for football season
    • Starting July 17 thru November 1, 2012.

26. Ernesto Alvarez, Pastor – requests to close Gates from Ridge to north side of
    Church St on August 31, 2012 for ceremony.
    27. Operations Pets request to address Council regarding ordinance regarding
    cats.
    28. Islamic Mosque requests Council to reduce cemetery acreage
    29. Islamic Mosque request use of Lehigh Soccer Field August 18th or August
    19th, 2012 to celebrate Eid holiday for month of Ramadan.
    Resolutions
    1. Authorizing mayor to appoint a Flood Coordinator
    2. Authorizing transfer of $500 to Baker Homes
    Ordinances
    1. Rescinding Chapter 215.7 (11) regarding Nasson Parkway
    2. Erect a stop sign at Olcott and Wilmuth intersection northbound
    3. Delete stop sign at Wilmuth and Olcott St. entrance west.
    4. Amend Section 215.45 authorizing 2 hr parking on North side of Ridge Rd to 145 feet
    west of Meadow Lane.

Post The "Poli-Tricks" march on.......................

So the Council approved Agenda item # 15 last night......to allow the Mayor to hire a "Flood Coordinator" for the City of Lackawanna............

Before they did the vote, in order to save precious tax dollars...... I offered to volunteer for the position and get a concerned citizens group together to spearhead it and work as a team with the Council, Assemblyman Kearns, etc.
    I have too been working hard over the years to remove this heavy burden but could not get cooperation from my peers while I served......I tried on my own, but sadly, it fizzled out due to lack of support.

I hope they follow the EEOP Laws for recruitment and the filling of the position.

Post Hmmmm......

Lackawanna
    Published:August 12, 2012, 12:11 AM
    Lackawanna

The City Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday in council chambers in City Hall. Among several items on the agenda is a resolution that would authorize Mayor Geoffrey M. Szymanski to appoint a flood plain coordinator for the city.

Elsewhere in Lackawanna, Danielle L. Huber, a teacher at the Global Concepts Charter School, has submitted a letter to City Council President Henry R. Pirowski expressing her interest in the vacant 3rd Ward seat on the City Council.

Huber, 29, is a Democrat. She is founder and chairwoman of the Lackawanna Industrial Heritage Group, an organization that became active around preserving the former Bethlehem Steel Administration Building.

The 3rd Ward seat became vacant upon the death of Francis J. Kulczyk in July.

************************************************** ***************************
    Nothing discussed on the appointment for the Third Ward Council seat last night.................unless something happened after they
    returned from their Executive Session regarding "Litigation".

Crosswalk at Melroy?

What do you guys think about this whole crosswalk "saga" going on?

I just read the article in the Buffalo News about it, and it's really ridiculous. What type of society do we live in where we can't put a crosswalk on the road to help the elderly cross the street? The city came right out and said it increases liability so they don't want to do it. Even if it does increase liability, it's the right thing to do.

My aunt lives in those apartments and it is really challenging to cross that street and people do speed down that road and use it as a cut through. This is a real shame.

Post Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    What do you guys think about this whole crosswalk "saga" going on?

I just read the article in the Buffalo News about it, and it's really ridiculous. What type of society do we live in where we can't put a crosswalk on the road to help the elderly cross the street? The city came right out and said it increases liability so they don't want to do it. Even if it does increase liability, it's the right thing to do.

My aunt lives in those apartments and it is really challenging to cross that street and people do speed down that road and use it as a cut through. This is a real shame.

" Our partners at the New York State Department of Transportation have asked us to post information on the proper use of pedestrian crossing signals/crosswalks.

Every year, approximately 14,000 people are killed or injured while crossing a street or highway. "

What is the price of 1 life......exactly, priceless!

Enough bureaucracy already! Put in the crosswalk and a caution light....if their relatives lived there I bet it would be in and done with! Study-study-study.....please! The Cornell Cooperative Extension and NYS Traffic and Safety Board will help implement the optimal precautionary system if they ask!
    Think outside the box Lackawanna!
    It broke my heart to see all the seniors coming out to Monday's Council mtg. to repeatedly beg them for their protection and safety! If it was an election year the crosswalk would have been down months ago!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information