Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Lackawanna City Council Agendas/Business

Post 2012 Lackawanna City Council Agendas/Business

CITIZENS WISHING TO PLACE AN ITEM ON THE CITY COUNCIL'S AGENDA SHALL SUBMIT THEIR CONCERNS/COMPLAINTS IN LETTER FORM, SIGNED AND FORWARDED TO THE CITY CLERK'S OFFICE VIA CERTIFIED LETTER OR IN PERON BEFORE 12:00 NOON THE WEDNESDAY PRIOR TO THE COUNCIL MEETING. AFTER REVIEW BY THE CITY COUNCIL, AND DEEMED APPROPRIATE, IT WILL BE ENTERED INTO THE COUNCIL AGENDA.
    AGENDA

Reorganizational/Council Meeting
    Council Chambers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meeting called to order/Pledge of Allegiance
    NB: Meeting being recorded.
    Roll Call: Council: Noman, ________, Kulczyk, Lewis, Pirowski
    Hearings from Citizens:

Communications from the Mayor:

1. Mayor Szymanski - advises Council of his resignation in position of 2 nd Ward Council Member.

Mayor Szymanski issues the following executive orders:

2. Executive Order #1 – Appointment of Norman A. LeBlanc as City Attorney.

3. Executive Order #2 – Appointment of Thomas N. Love as Public Works Commissioner.

4. Executive Order #3 – Appointment of Dana Britton as Public Safety Director.

5. Executive Order #4 – Appointment of Angelo Iafallo as Parks & Recreation Director.

6. Executive Order #5 – Appointment of Ralph Miranda as Director of Development.

7. Executive Order #6 – Appointment of Maureen Gambino as Confidential Secretary to the Mayor

Communication from the Council:

8. Council President Pirowski – requests voting order be as follows: 1 st ward, 2 nd ward, 3 rd ward, 4 th ward, Council President.

9. Council President Pirowski – submits the following resolutions for Council approval:

Resolution # ___, 2012 – Appointment of 2 nd Ward Council Member

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of City Clerk

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of Council Member Noman as Council President Pro-Tempore.

Resolution # 2012 – Designation of City Council Meeting dates for the year 2012.

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of Council Clerk/Deputy Clerk

Resolution # , 2012 – Designation of Front Page Newspaper as official newspaper of the city.

Communications from Department/Division Heads:

10. City Attorney – seeks Council approval of settlement of $3,000 to Michael Abert for a law suit involving a fall due from the result of walking on Ridge Road when city snow plow covered sidewalk.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************

The Eagle has landed.

Talking " The Eagle Has Landed "

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    CITIZENS WISHING TO PLACE AN ITEM ON THE CITY COUNCIL'S AGENDA SHALL SUBMIT THEIR CONCERNS/COMPLAINTS IN LETTER FORM, SIGNED AND FORWARDED TO THE CITY CLERK'S OFFICE VIA CERTIFIED LETTER OR IN PERON BEFORE 12:00 NOON THE WEDNESDAY PRIOR TO THE COUNCIL MEETING. AFTER REVIEW BY THE CITY COUNCIL, AND DEEMED APPROPRIATE, IT WILL BE ENTERED INTO THE COUNCIL AGENDA.
    AGENDA

Reorganizational/Council Meeting
    Council Chambers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meeting called to order/Pledge of Allegiance
    NB: Meeting being recorded.
    Roll Call: Council: Noman, ________, Kulczyk, Lewis, Pirowski
    Hearings from Citizens:

Communications from the Mayor:

1. Mayor Szymanski - advises Council of his resignation in position of 2 nd Ward Council Member.

Mayor Szymanski issues the following executive orders:

2. Executive Order #1 – Appointment of Norman A. LeBlanc as City Attorney.

3. Executive Order #2 – Appointment of Thomas N. Love as Public Works Commissioner.

4. Executive Order #3 – Appointment of Dana Britton as Public Safety Director.

5. Executive Order #4 – Appointment of Angelo Iafallo as Parks & Recreation Director.

6. Executive Order #5 – Appointment of Ralph Miranda as Director of Development.

7. Executive Order #6 – Appointment of Maureen Gambino as Confidential Secretary to the Mayor

Communication from the Council:

8. Council President Pirowski – requests voting order be as follows: 1 st ward, 2 nd ward, 3 rd ward, 4 th ward, Council President.

9. Council President Pirowski – submits the following resolutions for Council approval:

Resolution # ___, 2012 – Appointment of 2 nd Ward Council Member

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of City Clerk

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of Council Member Noman as Council President Pro-Tempore.

Resolution # 2012 – Designation of City Council Meeting dates for the year 2012.

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of Council Clerk/Deputy Clerk

Resolution # , 2012 – Designation of Front Page Newspaper as official newspaper of the city.

Communications from Department/Division Heads:

10. City Attorney – seeks Council approval of settlement of $3,000 to Michael Abert for a law suit involving a fall due from the result of walking on Ridge Road when city snow plow covered sidewalk.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************

The Eagle has landed.
    URBAN Dictionary: The Eagle has Landed
    part of speech: idiom

Originally used by Neil Armstrong when the first man-made craft (the "Eagle") landed on the moon, now used to indicate the completion of a "mission objective".

1. Neil Armstrong: Houston, the Eagle has landed.

2. Criminal #1: Are you inside?
    Criminal #2: The Eagle has landed.

3. Jim: So, did you sleep with Allison yet?
    Tim: Dude, the Eagle has landed.

1. Lackawanna, the Eagle has landed.
    2. Hope of Change flickering?
    3. What do you think the Council Members VOTES on the submitted Council meeting agenda items will be?

Folks, THEY represent YOUR voice in LA City Hall.......It is YOUR Civic Duty to call them personally, email them, go to Swearing-in at Senior Center at noon tomorrow to discuss in person, OR attend Tuesday Council meeting and stand up publicly to share your opinion on what Lackawanna City Resolutions/LAWS they are about to make for you. If you want to that is.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Is the process of putting items on an agenda the same for any town in Erie County?

Andrea, looking at the agenda #7 appt. M. Gambino, Personal Secretary ?????????? If Geoff expects personal matters to be confidential this is not a wise choice.

Executive Order#2 is a continuation of a disaster. Look at all the infrastructure problems under this guy. The man without a plan. This isn't a wise choice either.

Talking ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Is the process of putting items on an agenda the same for any town in Erie County?
    I don't know the answer to that........I do know the processes most likely parallel Lackawanna's in some manner or another. Each community votes in their own process for the way agenda items are put on their City/Town meeting..........Once all accepted Agenda Items are printed, during a meeting a Council-member/Alderman has the right (only if they follow Robert's Rules I think, but??---I am not sure on this one) to ask for the floor to challenge an item they disagree with----then ask for a vote to "Wave The Rules" ----and introduce a new/alternative agenda item vote for whatever.
    Ex.
    Lackawanna City Council Agenda item to approve say the Mayors " Confidential " Secretary tomorrow night could be challenged before they read that item by ANY Council-member who can then submit another candidates name and force a vote for the person they would rather see in the position.
    1. Ask for a VOTE to waive the rules......if they do not get a second, their motion fails to open up a new item. The original agenda item is then read by the City Clerk to the Council-members is now on the floor. It can then pass or fail, so if they have the moxie to say NO to the printed agenda item..... again at this point another name can be submitted from the floor for a Council VOTE..........if they dare.

Actually, does anybody-anywhere play by the rules when it comes to politics?

Talking We were told "change" has now begun in LA.

The " transition " of POWER seemed to have gone well at the swearing-in ceremony yesterday at the LA Senior Center. I am guessing appr. 150 people....standing room only, and lots of Hank P. fans clapping loudly for him. I can admit I did like to see the younger generation involved now in Lackawanna governmental administration. I hope their educated/goal-minded-visionary minds are the fit we have been pushing along for a very long time. I was 35 when I started out myself come to think of it, how time flies when you are having fun! HaHa. Lost my job.......Arrested 2x......MAJOR character assassinations---Public Humilation, etc. because I speak the truth about what they say/do and what they do not do for us. I sincerely have hope in the the new-comers, plan to be positive and offer any assistance I can give to the governmental powers now running LA.

I thought ALL of the Council-members would be present, but was surprised to see not all showed.
    They had cookies and punch out for the crowd which was very nice and then they left to go on to Curlys'.

I saw a couple downers yesterday but the biggest to me was when someone said........"how our now EX-Mayor SACRIFICIED the last 8 years of his life for Lackawanna". HOW? When he gave up his little puddle-jumper to his son in order to drive the new City-owned SUV around town for the past 4 years or so? Aw.....and ALL those free "business" lunches when his own family brown-bags it? Awww.....

Out with the old and IN with the NEW.....Happy New Year All!

I found it interesting that our new Mayor and councilmen all talked about "Moving the City forward" while at the same time thanking and praising the outgoing mayor. It seemed like back handed compliments because it sure seemed like they acknowledged having a lot of work ahead of them, which shouldn't be the case if such a good job was done.

Can't decide if it was a lot of B.S. or if they were just "being polite."

That said, it certainly creates a lot of hope with the new officials' positive energy. I heard Geoff say he was open to working with all levels of government, which is a change from the past 8 years. And our congressman was there, which was nice, considering the unnecessary feud Norm started with him.

Maybe it is a new day for Lackawanna! Because they were right about one thing - They do have a lot of work ahead of them!

Talking These thoughts fleetingly also crossed our minds........

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post
    I found it interesting that our new Mayor and councilmen all talked about "Moving the City forward" while at the same time thanking and praising the outgoing mayor. It seemed like back handed compliments because it sure seemed like they acknowledged having a lot of work ahead of them, which shouldn't be the case if such a good job was done.

Can't decide if it was a lot of B.S. or if they were just "being polite."
    Also.......
    Why he did NOT personally hand the baton on to Geoff while giving one of his infamous speeches......Why he was NOT on program.........
    Why he and the wife sat in back row ( son stood) instead of up front with the rest of dignitaries.......There were plenty of empty seats for him by podium......

Yep.......can't decide, BUT, who cares anyway?!

Post How are the ill Councilmembers doing? New Date for Council Meeting yet?

Anyone know if the new date has been picked yet for our cancelled due to illness first meeting?
    I don't see anything on the City web yet.........any news on date and how the ill Council-members are?

City & Region
    Lackawanna
    Illness forces Council to call off meeting

By Jay Tokasz

News Staff Reporter

Published:January 5, 2012, 12:00 AM

A much-anticipated first City Council meeting of 2012 in Lackawanna fizzled Tuesday when two councilmen didn't show due to illness, leaving the board without a quorum.

A packed house showed up to see the new Council in action, only to be told the meeting would have to be rescheduled.

Third Ward Councilman Francis Kulczyk, who has been ill, asked to be excused from the meeting early Tuesday. Then, at about 6:15 p. m., Council President Henry R. Pirowski received a telephone call from the daughter of Abdul Noman, who reported that the 1st Ward councilman was in the hospital.

Pirowski and 4th Ward Councilman Keith E. Lewis— both elected to the Council for the first time in November — were the only members present. Three Council members constitute a quorum.

The 2nd Ward Council seat —formerly held by Mayor Geoffrey

M. Szymanski— is still vacant. Council members were set to consider Annette Iaffalo and Rebecca Darch, both recommended by the 2nd Ward Democratic committee, to fill the seat until an election later this year.

Pirowski called off the meeting shortly after 7 p. m. and said it would be rescheduled as soon as possible.

Szymanski appointed his father- in-law, Norman A. Le- Blanc, to replace longtime city attorney Arc Petricca.

The mayor also appointed Dana Britton, who retired as a lieutenant from the Lackawanna Police Department, as director of public safety for the city. Britton succeeds Richard Startek.

Szymanski also reappointed Thomas N. Love as commissioner of public works, Angelo

J. Iaffalo as director of parks and recreation, Ralph Miranda as director of development and Maureen Gambino as confidential secretary — all of whom served in the same capacity under former Mayor Norman L. Polanski Jr.

jtokasz@buffnews.com
    Comments
    There are no comments on this story.

Post Here it is......

Got a call last night......it is now on City web and here it is:
    notice

The Reorganizational meeting of the Lackawanna City Council has been scheduled for Monday, January 9, 2012 in the Council Chambers, 2nd floor, City Hall. The caucus will begin at 6:30 with the meeting commencing at 7:00 p.m.

Post Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    Come to think about it. People on here have bitched about Tony Mingarelli doing the same thing. Perhaps jealousy has a lot to do with it.Everyone wants to better everyone else in fleecing the system. Either way its sickening and a reason why our local,state and federal governments are in the condition they are in. One word says it all GREED!
    Whoever you are bluethunder you keep hitting the nail on the head! Greed has always led "Lack"awanna's political arena of family and friends or we would not look stuck in 1962.
    Our City has been raped, pillaged, and plundered to the bones and they still want more! Tonight's Council meeting will have people who "worked on the campaign" sitting there with there hand out waiting for their nod to receive their promise. Today's News was on top too about the nepotism and how one LA Department Head even gave $1000.00 to "the campaign".
    Yesterday's News had a great article about the Town of Evans finances that LA Council should go after immediately too. Hire a totally neutral CPA outfit to do a forensic financial audit asap in case something hits the fan with the Budget, they will be protected. "Follow the Money"!

Communities » Evans
    EVANS
    Outside consultant hired to oversee town’s finances in light of concerns
    By Jay Rey
    News Staff Reporter
    Published:January 8, 2012, 12:00 AM

An outside consultant will keep watch over finances for Evans, at least until the town’s new administration gets a better handle on the municipality’s monetary picture.
    The Fredonia accounting firm of Johnson, Mackowiak and Associates, LLP, has been hired in the short term to handle duties of the town’s finance director, said Supervisor Keith E. Dash.
    It’s one of the first organizational moves by the new town supervisor, who won election in November and took over the first of the year.

“I wanted to have someone who had a specialty in municipal accounting, had no ties to the Town of Evans and could give an unbiased view of where we stand financially,” Dash said.
    Concerns about the town’s finances were raised last month, after the Town Board agreed to borrow nearly $1 million to help keep municipal government running during the early part of the year until some tax revenue comes in.

Former Supervisor Francis J. Pordum told the board that the tax anticipation note was necessary, because the town was forced to use up cash reserves to pay off debt that came due in June for the town’s extensive water project. Pordum blamed the previous administration for using money designated for the water project to cover prior years of overspending and budget deficits.
    Dash is awaiting a state audit, due in the spring, to shed more light on the town’s financial situation. In fact, the cash-flow concerns have delayed a vote on a new police contract.
    In the meantime, Dash contracted with Johnson Mackowiak to have an accountant work out of Town Hall a couple days a week at a cost not to exceed $60,000 for the year — the set salary for the finance director’s post.

Once he gets a better accounting from the state, the new supervisor plans to advertise for the position of finance director to replace Andrew Eszak, who served in that role during Pordum’s administration.
    Dash also appointed Diana Caffery, the town’s former tax receiver, as secretary to the supervisor, but otherwise has chosen to keep the town department heads the same.
    jrey@buffnews.com
    ************************************************** *********************************************
    To: City Council Monday October 5, 2009 Council Minutes

Forensic Financial Audit Request

To: City Council

I request a forensic financial audit of all city playgrounds for years 2006 through 2008.

ANDREA HAXTON, COUNCIL MEMBER

Moved by Haxton to approve request, no second on the motion, motion failed.
    Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Schiavi to receive and file.

Nays: Haxton Yeas: Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski Carried 3-1

Charter Change Request – Part time positions

To: city Council
    I am a supporter of downsizing and I must commend our Mayor and the employees who can complete full time job duties on part time hours. I ask for your support to revise the charter. These positions are not limited to Comptroller and Commissioner of Public Works.

ANDREA HAXTON, COUNCIL MEMBER

Moved by Haxton to approve request, no second on the motion, motion failed.

Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Schiavi to receive and file.

Nays: Haxton Yeas: Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski Carried 3-1

I know the "New" Council is on the ball, will work for the People and NOT the politicians I hope.....and as I said, only to protect themselves.....they should, "Follow the Money" in LA asap. Especially because OUR Fund Balance is down....WAY down from the $6mil in 2009 when they agreed to pay cash for the Ridge Road paving project. They ditched it after I left and floated their new Bond. WHY?
    I suggest the "NEW" LA City Council take heed of what Evans is doing........I know LA "BONDED" close to appr. $$7mil since 2006 alone. This side study is a good thing and for once I will NOT holler about spending money unnecessarily!

You seriously got to love this Evans thing! Where's Pordum from? Glad to see somebody gets the big picture to bad its in Evans though!

Council stalemate keeps 2nd Ward seat empty for now

By Jay Tokasz

News Staff Reporter

Published:January 10, 2012, 12:00 AM
    Updated: January 10, 2012, 6:31 am
    The Lackawanna City Council had enough members to meet Monday, but they couldn’t agree on who should fill the vacant 2nd Ward seat formerly held by the city’s new mayor.

The Council appears ready to move forward with four members instead of five, after members split over two recommended candidates for the 2nd Ward post.

Council newcomers Henry R. Pirowski and Keith E. Lewis favored political neophyte Rebecca Darch, while Abdul Noman, a holdover from the previous Council, voted to appoint political veteran Annette Iafallo.

Last Tuesday, with two members absent due to illness, the Council did not have a quorum and had to cancel its first meeting of the year.

The fourth member, Francis J. Kulczyk, was ill and did not attend the meeting. Kulczyk is battling cancer, and other Council members said they weren’t sure when he would be able to return — meaning the board might function as a three-person governing body for some time.

With just three Council members present, a unanimous vote was required to appoint a 2nd Ward member. Even if Kulczyk had been present, he has told other Council members he supports Iafallo, which would still mean a stalemate.

“Maybe there’s another process to come up with an alternative candidate that all the Council members would be comfortable with,” said Francis G. Warthling, Lackawanna Democratic Committee chairman. “Otherwise, that position will stay open until the election in November.”

The 2nd Ward Democratic committee submitted Darch and Iafallo to the Council after interviewing seven people.

Iafallo, 60, is no stranger to Lackawanna politics. She won two elections to the School Board and served six years, including two as president. She also ran unsuccessfully for mayor in 2007 against Norman L. Polanski Jr.

Iafallo works as School Board clerk, a post to which she was appointed in 2008.

“Annette is a lifelong resident of the City of Lackawanna,” said Noman. “Both candidates are good candidates. They have a lot of skills, but Annette has more.”

Noman said Darch is too new to Lackawanna to be able to win an election. Darch, 25, grew up in Batavia and moved to Lackawanna about five years ago. She is a 2008 graduate of Buffalo State College and works as supervisor of family and county services for Heritage Centers, a Buffalobased nonprofit agency.

Pirowski argued that Darch would have a fresh perspective.

Lewis said Darch has grant-writing experience and supervisory skills that could be put to good use in improving the city.

“We can run government with three Council members, and hopefully Mr. Kulczyk will be back, and we’ll have four,” said Lewis.

The remaining Council members, as well as Mayor Geoffrey Szymanski, who lives in the 2nd Ward, will represent the ward until a new member is appointed or elected, he added.

Also Monday, the Council voted to reappoint Jacqueline Caferro as city clerk for a four-year term.

jtokasz@buffnews.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information