Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flood insurance for 2nd ward

Flood insurance for 2nd ward

Has anyone heard any updates on the status of removing the 2nd ward from being designated as a flood plain? Who in the city has taken ownership of this? I thought this was one of the mayor's main issues he was going to address. This costs 2nd ward taxpayers significant money on flood insurance every year - money that goes out of this community needlessly

Quote Originally Posted by highestpropertytaxes View Post
    Has anyone heard any updates on the status of removing the 2nd ward from being designated as a flood plain? Who in the city has taken ownership of this? I thought this was one of the mayor's main issues he was going to address. This costs 2nd ward taxpayers significant money on flood insurance every year - money that goes out of this community needlessly
    Maybe the new second ward council person should advocate ? If Annette Iafallo wins the November election she lives in the 2nd ward so let's see what she has on her agenda....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That would be a good cause for Annette to take up. It would benefit a great deal of her constituents. I hope Annette can show the persistence to see it through, as I'm sure she will hit a lot of beaurocratic red tape along the way

I spent an hour reviewing the surveys @ Assmeblyman Kearns Office. We need more than 76 homeowners to respond. I have given out hard copies and will pick them up to take in. Washington wants statistics. Compiled costs, number afected. In short it is data driven. But more info in my next article in the Front Page. Yes, the second ward is the most affected ward in the City, but so are the streets on the east side of South Park, Verel, Brown, parts of Martin Rd. I rolled up my sleeves to help with the work. So, if I win the election instead of Annette, I'm not afraid of working for the people of the second ward. I'm committed to seeing this through. For once, one way or another, we're going to get an answer from Washington

If you need more than 76 homeowners to respond, perhaps a petition should be circulated around Bethlehem Park, as I am sure most of us are paying $600+ for flood insurance.....

I thought the last second ward councilman (Szymanski, not Darch) was supposed to work on flood insurance. And the one before him (Kozub). Instead we promoted them and it was never done. 14 years lost between the two of them.

There are 2, I think from Beth Park. I talked with Dan Kozub in April. He said he left all his paperowrk in the file cabinet for Geoff. Darch brought publicity to the problem & left it at requesting people to fill out surveys. However, if you don't have a hard copy of the survey or don't know how to get to it on line, how are you supposed to complete it? I agree 14 years were lost. Petitions won't do it Bethpark12. Washington wants stats. They are number crunchers. Prove how many are affected, prove it is a financial burden, etc. If you live in the floodzone you can go on line & complete the survey. Go to http://assembly.state.ny.us/Michael-P-Kearns and take the Lackawanna flood-Plain Survey.

I have been giving out hard copies for those who are reluctant to fill out electronically & picked up one that was done to take to Kearns.
    I know Kearns walked Newman himself & got surveys filled out. Dixon sent her staff members & they did Elkhart, Warsaw, Cleveland and some other second ward streets. This takes hard work to get done. I wish I could walk more to get more done, but had a total knee replacement and just started walking without a cane two weeks ago. I'm committed to see this to the end and get an answer from Washington one way or another. Enough is enough. Not only is it a financial burden, it's a detrement to houses being sold in the second ward & the Park.

Diane, THANK YOU for your initiative on this! This is fantastic news. I will be telling my friends and family who are effected by this. I'll print some copies out as well. This is so refreshing to hear, and I appreciate the investigation you've done. I wish you a speedy recovery from knee surgery

You're WELCOME. I'm personally not affected by it, but a close relative is & it is a financial burden on that family. Tired of this problem being on a merry-go-round. Thanks The knee is coming along better each day. Balance is almost back to normal (last thing I need is to fall!). However, it stops me from walking door-to-door for this campaign. Please ask your friends & family to vote for me if they live in the second ward so I can finish this once and for all. No offense to my opponent, but with a full time job in the school and a part time job doing hair, how can she devote the time needed to get this done? I'm persistent. Ask my husband, but he gives it another name

Well finally ACTION being taken. GOOD JOB DIANE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks. But more to be done before it's ready for submission to congressional reps to take to FEMA,

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Kozak View Post
    I spent an hour reviewing the surveys @ Assmeblyman Kearns Office. We need more than 76 homeowners to respond. I have given out hard copies and will pick them up to take in. Washington wants statistics. Compiled costs, number afected. In short it is data driven. But more info in my next article in the Front Page. Yes, the second ward is the most affected ward in the City, but so are the streets on the east side of South Park, Verel, Brown, parts of Martin Rd. I rolled up my sleeves to help with the work. So, if I win the election instead of Annette, I'm not afraid of working for the people of the second ward. I'm committed to seeing this through. For once, one way or another, we're going to get an answer from Washington
    Over the last week FEMA has been at the bottom of Franklin 2 times that's I've seen. They park a truck and walk down the creek. I don't know what they are doing, but they are there.

I know I completed my survey. Did 76 total homeowners complete it, or do we need 76 homeowners to complete it? I'm assuming they want more than 76...

Also, I'm wondering if there is anyway to get the Buffalo News to put a link to the survey in the newspaper. Either a stand alone article or as part of the place on Sunday which lists events by community? I don't know how big the readership is of the front page, but I'm sure the readership of the News is bigger. For those who don't want to go online maybe they can include a phone number to call and ask for the hard copy.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Has anyone contacted the people who were involved with flood insurance issues in south buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Has anyone contacted the people who were involved with flood insurance issues in south buffalo?
    From what I am seeing, Mickey Kearns has been involved for Lackawanna, and he was most responsible for the success in south buffalo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information