For some reason, the Fink Brother's murders in 1979 came to mind. I remember that day like it was yesterday. My Aunt Irene (who passed away) worked at that store (People's Clothing on the East Side Broadway) but was off that particular day. My brother had an account there and shopped there often. Thru my Aunt, I knew the Fink brothers and that store was like part of my family. I was working for the City that day and heard the news of the murder. My immediate thoughts went to my Aunt and my brother. When the details came out it was unreal - I was relieved no family member was killed, but I knew the Fink brothers and I grieved. I also worked with one of the Fink brother's son's in my City department. What a horrible time.

Not too long after, who remembers the .22 caliber shooter? As I was on a bus heading down broadway one dreary morning, I remember seeing one of his victim's draped with a cloth over him on the curb. Bodies never bothered me, but that was particularly creepy since no one knew who was doing the shooting. Not long after John was convicted, I was a Deputy Sheriff working the holding center downtown and had him on my gallery one night as he came back to town on appeal. I remember him sitting on the floor in front of his cell not saying a word, just staring. He was alone in the cellblock for obvious reasons, but surreal. This guy murdering all those people. I served him a dinner, he came over and took it, never saying a word all night and I said only the basics to him.

As a Deputy, I also had John Justice on a gallery for a while. Recall, he murdered his entire family and a neighbor in cold blood. He was a real idiot. Always causing problems and pretending to be a tough guy. He had a real evil look in his eyes.

Comments welcome.