Updated: 10/07/08 6:40 AM

Buzz up!
    POPULAR
    SAVE
    EMAIL
    PRINT
    + Larger Font
    - Smaller Font

There was no direct mention during a Monday night Lackawanna City Council meeting of a city lawmaker’s sentencing last week for housing code violations, but First Ward Councilwoman Andrea Haxton still managed to be the center of attention.

Amid the mundane business of renewing the city’s STOP-DWI contracts with Erie County and approving the annual Bethlehem Park Halloween Parade, there was the usual tug-of-war between Haxton and Council President Charles Jaworski, Haxton and City Attorney Arcangelo J. Petricca, and even Haxton and City Clerk Jacqueline A. Caferro.

Haxton got the maximum $1,000 fine last week for four code violations at a building she owns at 297 Ridge Road.

Monday night, she squabbled with both Jaworski and Caferro over whether minutes are required to be taken during the Council’s workshops. Haxton insisted that, according to Robert Freeman, executive director of the state Committee on Open Government, minutes are required whenever there is a quorum of a public body.

However, Jaworski and Caferro said lawyers for the New York State Conference of Mayors have determined that minutes are not required when such public bodies do not plan to vote on a motion, proposal or resolution.

Later, Haxton tried unsuccessfully to amend a motion directing acting Economic Development Director William Eagan to conduct an independent study on what ought to be done with the vacant Friendship House property, which the city acquired through foreclosure. Haxton wanted a timeline inserted in the resolution, but Petricca argued that was unnecessary.

Haxton also joined some residents in the audience who, during the public comment portion of the meeting, called for the Council to require Eagan to attend bimonthly meetings. Eagan, who is the city’s Empire Zone director, also acts as the city’s economic development director, but he does not receive a salary for the latter job, according to Jaworski.

Still, it’s a source of contention for some residents that Eagan, who also is the Town of Boston supervisor, does not attend City Council meetings.

“He doesn’t live in the city. You know I’ve complained about this so many times. Why can’t we just rescind his pay?” said Alex J. David, of Firestone Street.

To which Jaworski replied: “I’ll rescind his pay when he’s here [as] director of development.”

“That’s not funny,” countered Haxton, who noted that Eagan still receives a $48,000 annual salary as Empire Zone director.

The meeting reached something of a crescendo when Dorrance Avenue resident Gwendolyn McQuiller chastised Jaworski for what she called his disrespectful manner toward Haxton.

“I have a lot of [other] things that I could be doing right now,” McQuiller said.

Thumbs up Planned set up?

Is it a planned set up?

What do you mean? Planned setup?

Thumbs up

What do you think I mean? Were you there?

???

I have no idea what you mean. Explain. Were you there??

Thumbs up

No, I wasn't. Don't you understand what a planned set up is?

Yes, i most certainly understand what a "planned set up" is, but I am not understanding what YOU think was planned?? Who are you suggesting "planned" anything and what are you suggesting was planned?? People finally having "enough" of witnessing the council's treatment towards Andrea Haxton and saying something about it?

Thumbs up

Please send me a PM. I'll explain.

How does it feel?

So Lackawanna how does it feel to pay Bill Eagan a salary to be at work in Lackawanna but he is not there. He is over in Boston at a meeting at 11 am at the Boston Town Hall, taking Minutes....

Thumbs up

It's good that you know, IKnow. Can you be witness?

Witness? its in the official minutes of the Town of Boston.

Post I just put this under this thread because the Title has LOTS of etc.,etc. under it!

Old felony leads to prison in fraud caseBy Matt Gryta

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
    October 23, 2010, 12:00 AM

Font Size:
    -2-1Standard+1+2E-mailSharePrintFacebookTwitterGoogleRedditDelicious Stumble UponDiggFarkMySpaceUpdated: October 23, 2010, 6:34 AM

A previous felony conviction will send a Lackawanna man to a place where few area embezzlers have ended up in recent years: prison.

Joseph Puglisi Jr., who stole money that customers paid to his mortgage company for home financing, was ordered Friday to spend at least 3z and up to seven years in state prison.

Puglisi, 31, admitted to State Supreme Court Justice Russell P. Buscaglia that he embezzled $150,000 from his Puglisi Funding Inc. on Ridge Road in Lackawanna. He tearfully blamed a longtime drug problem, to which Buscaglia replied, “You’re not going to use that as an excuse anymore.”

Court officials said Puglisi set up the mortgage company after he completed four years behind bars for a 2004 conviction on a forged instrument charge also linked to his drug addiction.

Because of his previous felony conviction, prison was a mandatory sentence. In dozens of other recent

cases, a first-time felon pleading guilty to embezzlement has been sentenced to restitution and probation. That sentence has become commonplace in recent years, even in instances where the embezzler had stolen much more money.

Puglisi had been allowed to remain free on $150,000 cash bail when he turned over a check for $75,000 the day of his guilty plea, Aug. 9. He had been indicted for scams he pulled off between April 2007 and October 2009.

But as part of Puglisi’s guilty plea to second-degree attempted grand larceny, third-degree grand larceny and first-degree scheme to defraud, Financial Crimes Prosecutors Paul J. Williams III and Gary M. Ertel said he also had to sign a confession of judgment Friday for the $75,000 he still owes former clients.

Buscaglia agreed to ask state prison authorities to consider Puglisi for its Shock Incarceration program, a boot-camp style program that cuts the time behind bars of anyone who can complete the grueling six-month program. But he ordered Puglisi taken from court in handcuffs.

Who is this guy now?

Thread Information