Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried using LED lights for your home lighting yet?

Has anyone tried using LED lights for your home lighting yet?

I was wondering if anyone has tried out LED lights as replacements for incandescent and the fluorescent replacements. I had a couple of the fluorescent ones sorta "explode" (for lack of a better word) on us and am looking to replace these with LED bulbs. I purchased 4 LED's - one 13w BR30 (equivalent 75w) and three 9.5w (60w equivalent) recently and am seeing how long these last in reality. We go through incandescent ones like toilet paper and the fluorescent ones did not last much longer for us.

I have a few. The first ones I got were a few years ago, supposed to be 40watt equivalent but they weren't plus the light was very directional. The more recently purchased ones I have seems to actually be the equivalent light output that they claim and I am happy with them. I think I got them at home depot. Two are in my bathroom, I think they were 60watt equivalent and I have one over the sink in the kitchen that I think is a 40 watt equivalent.

I'll try to remember that I posted in this thread when I have time in the next day or two (most likely tomorrow) to check the bulbs for their exact rating and brand. As my existing non-led bulbs go bad I will likely replace them with led even though led are still pricey
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Yes they are pricey. I am watching for sales and online deals. Ace Hardware had the BR 30 for $15 it was normally $20. I bought 12 for our church building to try out.

The one I have for the BR30 is very bright. I have it above my desk in the office here and dimmed down 50 percent or so and it is still really bright.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

I can't say about home lighting, but I have used LEDs for stage lighting for the band. The first ones that came out had really crappy throws. The newer ones are much better. I used Par64 LEDs for stage wash and they covered just as well as Par64 lamps/bulbs do. The upside is they use much less power, they're not as hot, and the LEDs last longer (I think the Par64 LEDs had a life of 11,000 hours or such) than lamps or bulbs. I also think the white light they produce is a truer white than other bulbs... so if you were into video or photography they might be better.

I have about 6 of the 40 and 60 watt equivalents. Prices ranged from $8 to $21. They work fine, A lot less heat.

As every one switches to LED lights and use less power, the owner companies will have to raise their rates in order to offset their lost revenue.

In essence, you pay more for less.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

well my bulbs don't have the brand on them and the numbers I thought might be model/part numbers don't come up in google
    I have two 8W and two 14W in daily use
    the 14W are in a dual fixture in the bathroom and one 8 is above the sink and the other is in the light in my computer area
    I'm happy with them. One of the best things is there isn't tons of waste heat in the summer like you get from incandescents.
    That said, although I plan on changing over to them as my other bulbs (mainly cfls) go bad I don't agree with the gov't being involved in saying what can and can't be sold. incandescents still have their place in certain applications

the 8w look like this

and 14W look sort of like this but slightly different
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Installed 12 more of these. The experiment is on!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

My issue is that the new outdoor floodlight bulbs won't fit into my old fixtures

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    My issue is that the new outdoor floodlight bulbs won't fit into my old fixtures
    Diameter too large or the length an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Diameter too large or the length an issue?
    There's like a bump in the bulbs that doesn't allow the stem to reach the socket. I have to screw one of those socket adapters into the socket in order for the bulb to make a connection

Georgia L Schlager

Well that's so you have to buy a new fixture

So far I am really liking the LED I have above my desk here at the home office. Does take a 1/2 second or so delay to turn on. No big deal. Have read some reviews online stating that top end ones do not have a delay.
    Last edited by Frank Broughton; February 9th, 2014 at 02:14 PM.

Good little serf!

Support the govt arbitrarily removing your freedom of choice!

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Good little serf!

Support the govt arbitrarily removing your freedom of choice!
    Huh??? What are you trying to say?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information