Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Baseball retire Babe Ruth's Number again

Should Baseball retire Babe Ruth's Number again

The question has bee place in front of MLB for the past three years now, as America, and The New York Yankees inch ever closer to the ending of and era by closing down the House that Babe Ruth Built, the question has been place before MLB by Linda Ruth Tosetti to have her grandfather's number retired from all of Baseball by every team. The only player to have their number retired in such a manor is Jackie Robinson. Please read the full story I've re-posted here, and make your comments known here, and at retirebabesnumber.com

Relative says MLB should retire Ruth's No. 3

Rick Maese
    June 22, 2008

And hasn't the Babe already been honored plenty?

"My grandfather is remembered, but I don't think he's honored," says Tosetti, one of the Babe's six grandchildren.

Tosetti began making her push to retire No. 3 more than a year ago. In fact, she wrote to baseball commissioner Bud Selig last summer. He responded graciously and explained, "We retired Jackie Robinson's number for myriad ... reasons, but the sociological importance is obviously very critical to us." He told Tosetti that he would share her request with his colleagues.

But that didn't satisfy her. Tosetti is running a grass-roots campaign, and her Web site - retirebabesnumber.com - has helped to collect more than 6,000 petition signatures in just a few months. It's only the start, she says. She wants to overwhelm MLB with support for her cause, especially this year - the 60th anniversary of Ruth's death and the final year of Yankee Stadium, the house he's credited with building.

Suffice it to say, MLB probably didn't realize the can of worms it was opening by honoring Robinson in such a dignified and deserved way. But Tosetti has her points.

When we spoke recently, I played devil's advocate with Tosetti because, frankly, the issue is far from cut and dried. To her credit, she had a response for every concern.

Robinson wasn't honored because of his achievements on the field. His contribution to the game was so much bigger, I told her.

"I know it's for sociological reasons, but why should that penalize my grandfather? I don't understand that reasoning," she says. "Sociologically? Helping other people? Frankly, if Babe Ruth didn't save baseball, there wouldn't be a game for Jackie or anyone else to even play. Remember, after the [1919 Black Sox] scandal, everyone was disillusioned with baseball, and here comes my grandfather with his mighty bat, and he brought thousands of people back to the ballpark."

But wouldn't retiring the Babe's number dilute the honor bestowed on Robinson?

"Why would it water [it] down? I would think Babe Ruth would enhance it," she says. "If it was my grandfather's number who was retired first, I would welcome Jackie Robinson. I would think of it as enhancement. I don't understand that thinking at all."

So do we then retire No. 7 ( Mickey Mantle) and No. 24 ( Willie Mays) and No. 44 ( Hank Aaron) and ...

"Why didn't they think of that when they did Jackie? There's no criteria written down," Tosetti says. "I think what Jackie did was very, very important. I think what my grandfather did was just as important. I can't argue anyone else who's coming along, but worrying about other players didn't stop them from doing Jackie.

"Making it stop before Babe is highly unfair and not right. If you put the two men together, one of them isn't as important as the other. There wouldn't be a game to be played if there was no Babe."

You can see just how thorny the issue is. For its part, MLB has no plans to retire any other numbers, nor has it ruled out the possibility. "It's under advisement," a spokesman told me.

Ruth isn't the only former player with a campaign built around him. For nearly three years, a Roberto Clemente faction has presented its own compelling case, bending baseball's ear, collecting signatures and rallying support to retire No. 21. They have already shared more than 22,000 signatures with MLB - to no avail thus far.

"I'm going to keep going," Tosetti says, "as long as it takes."

If Tosetti gets her way, Freddie Bynum will have to find a new number. So will Gary Sheffield, Ken Griffey Jr. and Evan Longoria. Not to mention every member of the Babe Ruth Museum's slow-pitch softball team. Michael Gibbons, the museum's director, wholeheartedly supports Tosetti's efforts but points out that every player on the museum's team wears the same number - No. 3.

"If they wipe No. 3 off," he says, "I guess we'd all have to go numberless."

rick.maese@baltsun.com
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Maybe the Yankees could call their new stadium Babe Ruth Field. One thing about the Yankees, love 'em or hate 'em, at least they don't sell the naming rights to their stadium.

I am not for retiring any numbers across the league. On any given team is fine, but not the league. Just my opinion.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan
    I am not for retiring any numbers across the league. On any given team is fine, but not the league. Just my opinion.
    I agree with that.

Despite the fact that the Babe was clearly the best player of all time (he was on his way to a Hall of Fame career as a pitcher, before he switched), we can't get into this thing of retiring player's numbers league-wide every other year.
    If they do it for Ruth, next there will be petitions for Cobb, Gherig, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I agree with that.

Despite the fact that the Babe was clearly the best player of all time (he was on his way to a Hall of Fame career as a pitcher, before he switched), we can't get into this thing of retiring player's numbers league-wide every other year.
    EXACTLY!

no

all of his records have been beaten. its too late now to retire a mans number though out the league. it should have been donewhen he still had the records not now
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Ah

I agree with that.

I think you didn't read the full article...the point is not about Babes record But that Jackie Robinson number has been retired from baseball and throughout all team because he broken the racial barrier. But, The Babe also did something just a great beyond his records. The Babe actually saved Baseball in America, and his granddaughter believes his number ought to be retired throughout the league, and all teams based on Babe saving baseball in 1920. This is the main point, and has nothing to do about Babes records.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    all of his records have been beaten. its too late now to retire a mans number though out the league. it should have been done when he still had the records not now

You're off base please re read the article has nothing to do with Babe Ruth's records.
    Riven37
    _________

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan
    Maybe the Yankees could call their new stadium Babe Ruth Field. One thing about the Yankees, love 'em or hate 'em, at least they don't sell the naming rights to their stadium.

Do you really know what the issue really is ? nothing to do with RECORDS or what the Yankees think.
    Riven37
    _________

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    I think you didn't read the full article...the point is not about Babes record But that Jackie Robinson number has been retired from baseball and throughout all team because he broken the racial barrier. But, The Babe also did something just a great beyond his records. The Babe actually saved Baseball in America, and his granddaughter believes his number ought to be retired throughout the league, and all teams based on Babe saving baseball in 1920. This is the main point, and has nothing to do about Babes records.

the answer to your question.....NO....and nobody loves the yankees more than me...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    and nobody loves the yankees more than me...
    say what?...I take umbrage with that remark

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    say what?...I take umbrage with that remark

a tie??....you may love 'em....but not more....call it a tie!!...lol

I agree with that.

As a die-hard Yankee fan, through the bad years as well as the good, rising's statement says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    I don't need to read the whole article to answer your question. Who cares what Babe Ruth's grand daughter wants?
    You asked a question, and I answered it - now stop being a prick.

retire ruth's number...then get ready to retire the numbers of the following...

gehrig/cobb/koufax/campanella/clemente/snider/kaline/musial......and on and on.....maybe retire the numbers on the team they played for...but league wide....no friggin' way...

Ah

I can see most of you don't even follow baseball history. OK I'll make it very plan to ya.

1. Jackie Robinson baseball number has already been retired throughout baseball, and throughout all teams. This means his number can never, ever be worn again. This was done base on Robinson being the first black player to bridge the racial gap.

2. Why shouldn't Babe Ruth's baseball number be retired throughout baseball, and throughout all teams base on this " if it wasn't for Babe Ruth in 1920 saving baseball the way he had". You may never see baseball today as we do on TV and in the ball parks. In 1920 ever American was walking away from the American pastime because of all the corruption throughout the leagues, and vastly due to the Chicago scandal. People were literally throwing out their bats, balls, and gloves all over America.

3. Therefore, why shouldn't MLB retire Babes number as they had for Jackie Robinson. If MLB thought so much of Robinson why think of the one player who literally saved baseball from utter destruction. And no on other play would have this done to their numbers because MLB would need to make it clear that these two honors are above HOF records, and baseball records themselves. Its about the cut above the game that no other two players have ever done since, and will never do again.
    Riven37
    _________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information