Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuomo says he's powerless to stop Syrian Refugess

Cuomo says he's powerless to stop Syrian Refugess

Andrew Cuomo says if Obama wants Syrian refugees in the country, states have no say in where they go. He asks "what do I do, send my State Militia" to stop them!?

he goes on...

The day America says, 'close the gate, build the wall,' then I say take down the Statue of Liberty because you've gone to a different place. … I won't let them win by conceding defeat of the American dream,”
    Funny. I would ask Governor Cuomo, who gifted that statue to America? Who just closed their own borders? France. Even France would say it's time for a carefully watched border and extremely tight immigration processes. We're not a wild, new frontier - we're 20 trillion in debt and people want to cut our heads off! The refugees can get in line - behind our Latino neighbors - the Latinos get through immigration first, before the Syrians. Get in line and go through a new and improved process.

the governor continued. “At the same time, this federal government has to make sure it's doing the screening and the people who are coming in are safe. … If they really can't screen, then we can't screen. But their position is, 'we can screen, we can screen effectively,' and if that's the case do the screening, make sure it's right, do it exhaustively, but don't give up your soul as America.
    ”

Haha, the federal government says "we can do it - Yes We Can! and, we should rest secure? I don't think so. This is the same government that said there is no corruption in the IRS. The same government that refuses to acknowledge the Muslim thread that runs through terrorism, would, of course, not see any harm in bringing, oh, I don't know, 200,000 of these young people to a country they've been told to hate. This won't end well.

Hey, Governor Cuomo, how does establishing Syrian refugee resettlement sites in New York State going to help us?

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...rty-over-syria
    Last edited by buffy; November 18th, 2015 at 04:46 PM.

Make the Island and the statue a history museum, dedicate it to the time in America when it was applicable !

The only thing immigrants were sneaking into the Country back then was cheese in their shoes - not bombs !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

France didn't close its border, you don't close borders in the modern era. What is happening is France is reaping the result of its EU open borders policy. Remember John LaFalce? That was his plan for the border with Canada.

Then 9/11 happened.

Then there is this. Twenty four state governors, give or take, have declared they will suspend the settlement of Syrian refugees. Too much risk they say. You cannot vet them properly is the declaration. One (maybe) member of the Paris crew was a refugee. The rest were Belgian or French citizens. Nationals which can travel to the US under the VWP (visa waiver program). No vetting until they reach our shore. (Well there is ESTA but they mostly catch innocent name associations and is nowhere near the level of scrutiny given to those requiring visas much less refugees.)

Of course no one is talking about suspending that and it was reported that many of these governors have tourist contracts overseas encouraging those VWP nationals to come visit.

The more you know.....

b.b.

After the attack, France increased the number of Syrians they will accept...

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=35274658

News flash....We don't need any more immigrants, we are broke and are doing a crappy job of addressing the needs of our own homeless, downtrodden, hungry citizens, many of them children..

It is about Fing time we look out for our people first let alone asking the citizens what they want. Christ, our veterans can't even get timely medical care.

This is complete BS.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Totally agree with Save Us.

What actual "Law" states the President has the right or power to say where the immigrants must go ? Educate me !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    What actual "Law" states the President has the right or power to say where the immigrants must go ? Educate me !
    The Refugee Act of 1980 gives most of that control to the President.

Heres the link

I don't see where the President has the say where they are to be settled or who does !https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee_Act

The United States Refugee Act of 1980 (Public Law 96-212) was an amendment to the earlier Immigration and Nationality Act and the Migration and Refugee Assistance Act, and was created to provide a permanent and systematic procedure for the admission to the United States of refugees of special humanitarian concern to the U.S., and to provide comprehensive and uniform provisions for the effective resettlement and absorption of those refugees who are admitted.[1] The act was completed on March 3, 1980, was signed by President Jimmy Carter on March 17, 1980 and became effective on April 1, 1980. This was the first comprehensive amendment of U.S. general immigration laws designed to face up to the realities of modern refugee situations by stating a clear-cut national policy and providing a flexible mechanism to meet the rapidly shifting developments of today's world policy.[2] The main objectives of the act were to create a new definition of refugee based on the one created at the UN Convention and Protocol on the Status of Refugees, raise the limitation from 17,400 to 50,000 refugees admitted each fiscal year, provide emergency procedures for when that number exceeds 50,000, and to establish the Office of U.S. Coordinator for Refugee Affairs and the Office of Refugee Resettlement. Most importantly, it established explicit procedures on how to deal with refugees in the U.S. by creating a uniform and effective resettlement and absorption policy.[3]

further states:
    Title IV of the Immigration and Nationality Act was amended here when the Act created the Office of Refugee Resettlement, which is responsible for funding and administering federal programs for domestic resettlement and assistance to refugees. The office must make available resources for employment training and placement for refugees to be economically self-sufficient, provide opportunities for English language training, ensure cash assistance, and guarantee gender equality in all training and instruction. The Office must also create grants for these projects, consult with state and local governments about sponsorship and distribution of refugees, and develop a system to monitor the use of government funds using evaluations, auditing and data collection. In order to receive assistance for programs, the States must first explain how they plan to accomplish the goals of these programs, meet the director's standards, and submit a report at the end of each fiscal year.[7]

The Secretary of State was authorized to take on this role from 1980-1981 while the new director worked with them to develop and implement programs for existing refugees and eventually took up the position from 1982 onward. The director must submit a congressional report at the end of each fiscal year to committees on the Judiciary of the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate. The reports should contain information on the geographic location, employment status, and problems of the refugees while also containing suggestions for alternative resettlement strategies. The Office was authorized $200,000,000 during 1980 and 1981 and that number is now decided at the beginning of each fiscal year based on the results received at the end of each year.[8]

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    I don't see where the President has the say where they are to be settled or who does !
    My understanding is that once the federal govt gives the person the right to live full-time in the US, individual states would not have much ability to keep them out of their state, any more than a state could prevent you or I from moving there. Some states might be more welcoming than others, but they can't actually block it.

OK I am a night owl and bored:

Federal government of the United States:

The government of the United States of America is the federal government of the republic of fifty states that constitute the United States, as well as one capital district, and several other territories. The federal government is composed of three distinct branches: legislative, executive and judicial, whose powers are vested by the U.S. Constitution in the Congress, the President, and the federal courts, including the Supreme Court, respectively. The powers and duties of these branches are further defined by acts of Congress, including the creation of executive departments and courts inferior to the Supreme Court.

In the case of refugees, the President has that ability, as defined in the refuge act of 1980 :

"the annual admission of refugees is set to a 50,000 cap per year unless in an emergency situation during which the president may change this number for a period of 12 months."

"The act created the position of the US Coordinator for Refugee Affairs who was now responsible to the president for the development of overall US refugee admission and resettlement policy"

By way of definition 4248, the title "Refugee Act of 1980" means a law passed by the Congress and signed by the President.

b.b.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    My understanding is that once the federal govt gives the person the right to live full-time in the US, individual states would not have much ability to keep them out of their state, any more than a state could prevent you or I from moving there. Some states might be more welcoming than others, but they can't actually block it.

You need to look at it from the support cost side of things. I don't see why the residents of Erie County have to financially support people from around the globe. Why proactively add this cost to the property owners of Erie County or NYS for that matter. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't our county property taxes go cover payroll cost of social services.

Basically it's time to start telling various people who are making these decisions to shove it up their butts. I have no issue with people coming into the states who are financially able to care for themselves but I do have an issue with covering their living expense while we have people who need help in the states.

Someone ask Jeremy from the Erie County Democratic party why he supports candidates that want to take money away from the people who earn it and give it away? Like Hillary wanting to have us pay for college tuition and Cuomo wanting us to pay for social services costs of refugees.

Cuomo has plenty of power,,, just look at the Safe Act..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information