Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Enhanced Drivers license is here.

How much does it cost to get a passport? Will this enhanced license get me home from Canada?
    I renewed my PP for $67 and it's good for 10 years. We also have Nexus and that is $ 50, but worth every penny. Nexus is good for 5 years and it really speeds up getting through customs. They give you a picture ID card that fits in a wallet. I don't think that all the border crossings use Nexus.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

I'm thinking I like the Passport Card overall.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    No, this year...it must be completed, and implemented by 2009
    So, my current license which doesn't expire until 2010 will become useless in 2009 or is just those who travel into Canada that are required to do so by 2009?

The Big Bang Theory: God Spoke and BANG! it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by kma516
    So, my current license which doesn't expire until 2010 will become useless in 2009 or is just those who travel into Canada that are required to do so by 2009?
    No, your DL will still be okay. You don't even have to renew with an Enhanced Driver's License. It is not a mandatory thing.
    It will be mandatory to have some sort of enhanced ID, driver's licence, passport or passport card to get in and out of Canada, or just out of Canada, in 2009.
    It's a none issue if you never plan on going to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean. If, however you want to go to any of the fore mentioned you need to have enhanced documents. Also, the passport card, and I think the EDL, will not allow you to flight access into, or out of these places. The DMV site does not make that clear. The passport site does.
    Passport Link
    http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html
    DMV Link
    https://harmonia.dmv.state.ny.us/Sur...edl-survey.htm
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by kma516
    Just to go to Canada. It will still be good to drive on. :-)

b.b.

Here's another question:

If a NYS driver is going to cross the Canadian border into other US states like Michigan or Washington... which ID would be best to use

a) US Passcard... b) Nexus... c) NYS Enhanced License ?

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Here's another question:

If a NYS driver is going to cross the Canadian border into other US states like Michigan or Washington... which ID would be best to use

a) US Passcard... b) Nexus... c) NYS Enhanced License ?
    It doesn't matter. Any document that is valid for crossing the border at Buffalo will be good cross back in at Michigan.

This isn't really rocket science, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) repeals the passport exemption for Canada, Mexico and the Carribean. Federal law actually requires that all persons entering the U.S. from foreign travel on a passport. An exemption existed in law for the Canadian and Mexican borders. An oral declaration of citizenship "could" be accepted in lieu of documentation. WHTI removes the passport exemption and requires that all travelers present a passport or "other accepted document." It is the other accepted document language which created the citizenship card program and allowed for the NEXUS card to be used. The enhanced NYS drivers license is compliance with the REAL ID ACT, passed after 9/11. It is supposed to be a "hardened" document in terms of validating identity (instead of just being a drivers document) but has also been accepted for use at border crossings.

What is happening at the border now is the SECofDHS by regulatory change, delcared that oral declarations would no longer be accepted for citizenship. After 01/31/08 all travelers would be required to present PROOF of citizenship. We are in a "education phase" currently which means we are not refusing anyone admission or return who does not have proof, but remind everyone that we have the option to further examine or inspect persons who don't present proof. (which we always did anyway. Contrary to some media reports, we regularly caught people making false claims)

The June 2009 date recently reported in the media is the drop dead end of the education phase and the date when a valid travel document will be required.

Confused yet?

b.b.

The enchanced license is good. The fees are a load of crap. These aren't required documents to live in the US, but if you live in a border city like we do, they are ALMOST required...due to the traveling we do back and forth.

This is once again an added upstate only tax....do you think the citizens of New York City will be getting these?

It's kinda sickening---80 bucks for a license. OR, 100 for a passport. There is no reasonable option.

They need to make these things more affordable. 80 dollars is highway robbery.
    On top of that, we can't trade in our current license for this at a reduced rate?

That really just----yeah. They're looking for more money from upstate.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    It's kinda sickening---80 bucks for a license. OR, 100 for a passport. There is no reasonable option.
    Well, to make a fair comparison though, it's not $80... since you would be paying $50 for a regular license regardless of the border ID.

So really it's $30 for the additional license vs. $100 for the passport. Or a total of $80 total enhanced license cost vs. $150 for a regular license plus a passport.

The enhanced license still comes out far cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Well, to make a fair comparison though, it's not $80... since you would be paying $50 for a regular license regardless of the border ID.

So really it's $30 for the additional license vs. $100 for the passport. Or a total of $80 total enhanced license cost vs. $150 for a regular license plus a passport.

The enhanced license still comes out far cheaper.

That's not the point though, man. The point is--it's another imposed fee specifically for upstate citizens designed solely to help bail out Albany, which will never happen--because they don't know how to balance a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    Our Gov. Paterson saw fit to change the surcharge on this Enhance Drivers license from $20.00 to $ 30.00 dollars. This means you will have to pay $80.00, and if you still have time left on your license you still needed to change to the Enhance one. If you choose not to you''' need a passport.

The enhanced license will have few changes one will be adding the American flag stating you're from America. The Second will be the word ENHANCED on the front, and I can't forget to mention it will have a radio chip or shall I saw a tracking chip embedded. With this Enhance license you will be able to travel to border crossings such as Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean beginning June 2009.
    What happened to the proposal for a national ID card that would have had our DNA in it?
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    What happened to the proposal for a national ID card that would have had our DNA in it?
    I suppose you could sign it in blood ... Or give them your right arm ... first born ...

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    I suppose you could sign it in blood ... Or give them your right arm ... first born ...
    National ID card is TOO MUCH federal government interference.

The increased surcharge on the enhanced drivers license from $20.00 to $30.00 is 110% proof U.S. citizens are being raped by our own government. This N.Y.S. enhanced drivers license and the federal government's 'REAL ID ACT' does nothing but rob legal citizens in the name of 'The War on Terror'. What B.S.!!!!! These I.D.'s and passports should be completely free for every single, legal, citizen of the U.S.A. If someone wants into this country, they will get in with or without documentation. Whether it is real or fake. They will spend 'x' amount of money to accomplish their goal. Why are legal U.S. citizens forced to their knees for identification that has an ever increasing price tag affixed to it? This is crap!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DR_GONZO
    The increased surcharge on the enhanced drivers license from $20.00 to $30.00 is 110% proof U.S. citizens are being raped by our own government. This N.Y.S. enhanced drivers license and the federal government's 'REAL ID ACT' does nothing but rob legal citizens in the name of 'The War on Terror'. What B.S.!!!!! These I.D.'s and passports should be completely free for every single, legal, citizen of the U.S.A. If someone wants into this country, they will get in with or without documentation. Whether it is real or fake. They will spend 'x' amount of money to accomplish their goal. Why are legal U.S. citizens forced to their knees for identification that has an ever increasing price tag affixed to it? This is crap!!!!!
    Exactly.

Taxation without representation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information