Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMHA's Public Housing Waterfront Subsidies

Unregistered

BMHA's Public Housing Waterfront Subsidies

This is merely the latest of the endless questions about Bflo's "political housing".

Logic would dictate that waterfront housing on valuable land in an impoverished city would pay significant taxes. Instead Bflo has 616 heavily subsidized public housing apartments on the waterfront with rents starting at about $250 monthly for one bedroom, INCLUDING ALL UTILITIES.

Several years ago Attorney George Grasser of "Partners for a Liveable WNY" brought in housing experts to work with a group of interested tenants on turning Marine Drive Apartments into a taxpaying tenant-owned co-operative. They even started a website to keep the community informed.

But "connected" tenants, accustomed to cheap waterfront living for decades, many even wintering in Florida because the waterfront was too cold, didn't want to be bothered. They lobbied City Hall & NYS officials to keep their bonanza.

The endeavor died, as taxpayers keep pouring in waterfront public housing subsidies . . and more resources to do damage control on the endless stream of scandals.

Here is the latest chapter . . .

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/317307.html

Housing manager cited over own sites

By Brian Meyer NEWS STAFF REPORTER, Updated: 04/07/08 6:35 AM

The man who manages a 616- unit complex owned by Buffalo’s public housing agency has been cited by city inspectors for owning dilapidated properties, The Buffalo News has learned.

Two properties owned by Henry M. Littles are currently in Housing Court, and a third will likely be cited for violations, according to documents city officials released in response to a Freedom of Information request.

Littles, a longtime friend of Mayor Byron W. Brown, began managing the Marine Drive Apartments 14 months ago after the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority signed a $70,000-a-year contract with Erie Regional Development to oversee the seven-building complex.

Housing Court records obtained by The News indicate that inspectors found numerous violations at properties Littles owns on West Utica and Schreck streets.

The problems include rotting decks, broken windows, old tires, appliances and other rubbish in yards, and loose gutters.

A Housing Court case could be filed soon involving another property Littles owns on Schreck Street, according to Richard M. Tobe, the city’s permits and inspections chief.

When contacted for reaction, Littles was contrite.

“I’m not going to deny that there have been some problems,” he said. “I haven’t been giving my personal properties as much attention as I have in the past.”

Littles cited his increased workload at Marine Drive and problems finding responsible tenants for properties in “troubled” neighborhoods. But he conceded that these are not valid excuses.

“I’m guilty of these things,” he said. “The bottom line is that I will get them repaired.”

Littles promised to rectify the problems by early summer.

He said he owns about 15 properties through a limited liability corporation with his mother and sister. He acknowledged that during his two decades in the rental property business, there were a couple of cases involving code violations. But he insisted that the problems have been isolated and that he has not been a slumlord.

The News filed requests for information on Littles’ properties dating back to 2000. Tobe said staffers were still compiling the data Friday.

“We have insufficient information to make a conclusion one way or another,” about whether Littles has a pattern of property violations, he said.

Littles also downplayed the severity of the violations cited by inspectors.

“It’s nothing where someone is living in dire straits or where the property needs to be demolished,” he said.

“But the bottom line is that I will get things repaired,” he added.

The chairman of the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority said Littles must take swift action to fix his properties.

“If you’re asking me if it’s an issue, absolutely,” Michael A. Seaman said of Littles’ problems in Housing Court. “I told Henry he’s doing a great job at Marine Drive, but there are standards we have to abide by.”

A tenant-elected housing commissioner who lives in Marine Drive disagrees that Littles has improved conditions there. Joseph Mascia said things have “steadily deteriorated,” and he thinks Littles should be fired.

“He just doesn’t have the experience to manage a housing complex this size,” Mascia said.

Seaman defended Littles’ track record, quoting some tenants who attended a City Hall hearing last September. Some speakers said Littles was a vast improvement over the Hutchens- Kissling management group, which he replaced in January 2007.

“There are some residents who like him, but they’re the ones who get the perks,” Mascia retorted.

Littles said his recent accomplishments include troubleshooting water leaks that slashed bills at Marine Drive from $700,000 to $143,000.

Seaman said the contract at Marine Drive could be terminated on a month’s notice. But he said he thinks Littles should continue running the complex as long as he fixes his properties.

“I have all the confidence in the world in Henry,” Seaman said.

The mayor echoed the sentiments, saying everything he has heard about conditions at Marine Drive tells him that Littles is meeting and exceeding expectations.

“He has done an absolutely exceptional job in turning around a property that had many problems,” Brown said.

The mayor denied that he had any involvement in the decision to hire his longtime friend to manage Marine Drive. The Housing Authority approved a contract with Erie Regional Development, a nonprofit property manager and human services provider, Brown said. In turn, Erie Regional hired Littles to be the sole manager of the complex.

Unregistered

Subsidized waterfront rent

Here is a letter from a Marine Drive tenant praising the new manager.

But the needed discussion of why there is heavily subsidized housing on the waterfront in a desperately poor city keeps getting lost.

Does anybody know current rents in the BMHA-owned 616 waterfront apartments? Last I checked several years ago, they started at about $250 per month for one bedroom, ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED.

How much property tax does the complex pay? As I recall, they pay a "payment in lieu of taxes" on a fraction of the real value of the waterfront complex. They even got water at a major discount, perhaps a reason that major leaks remained unrepaired?

And what is the taxpayer cost of the massively bureaucratic structure of its governance? Unless changed, tenant selection was (very badly) supervised by NYS-DHCR (state equivalent of HUD) bureaucrats in the Bronx (NYC). And of course, a share of BMHA's costly bureacracy "governs" Marine Drive as well.

It makes no sense . . . except to politicians . .and to all those 'connected' tenants who get cheap waterfront rent, many benefitting for decades.

The letter:

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/e...ry/325235.html

Many residents support Marine Drive manager

Updated: 04/17/08 6:38 AM

The place where I live was in deplorable condition. Then Henry Littles became the manager of Marine Drive Apartments and conditions improved greatly. In a News article, tenant commissioner Joseph Mascia said Littles should be “fired.” Mascia failed to mention that the person he wanted to manage Marine Drive was not selected. Mascia alleges that Littles does not have the “experience” to manage Marine Drive. In addition to many improvements, Littles obviously is experienced enough to decrease the amount of unpaid rents and to drastically decrease water bills.

Mascia insulted the residents he supposedly represents by implying that they “get perks” for liking Littles. I like Littles, and have never asked for or received any “perks.” I like him because he makes himself available to residents. He is polite, helpful and honest. He personally addresses problems, whether during the workday, evenings or weekends. I can understand if making 616 units a better place to live hasn’t allowed Littles much time for personal tasks.

I have been at meetings where Marine Drive residents burst into spontaneous applause for Littles, thus expressing their approval of him. Mascia seems to forget he was elected by these residents.

Marilyn Gallivan

Buffalo

Dick, give it a rest! You've been repeating this same cago for at least 2 years (I found one of your posts from 2006 on BuffaloRising which made the same claims!)

FYI, the Marine Drive Apartments are supervised by the NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal, NOT by the BMHA. Moreover, they are for middle income families and seniors who meet income guidelines, with the subsidies being paid by the federal and state governments not by the local government. (http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ohm/apps...s/hsgdevls.asp).

Generally in these types of buildings, subsidized tenants pay 30% of their monthly income for their housing costs, including the apartment and utilities, so elderly people living on only Social Security could very well be paying less than $300 a month for an apartment and utilities (I'm assuming that rents have increased a bit since you've used $250 for at least 2 years). By all means, let's throw them out so they can make some flippers more money.

BTW, how much in taxes are those new half million dollar townhouses on the Inner Harbor going to net the city for the next ten years? Certainly not enough to cover annual road maintenance and police and fire protect.

I think your outrage is misplaced, but then the poor are always "undeserving" aren't they, Dick? Even if it's because they're old.

Jamestown Juantice

I think your outrage is misplaced, but then the poor are always "undeserving" aren't they, Dick? Even if it's because they're old.
    LINDA D.....YOU OUGHTA CHECK YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU SHOOT OFF YOUR MOUTH...!!!
    MOST OF THE RESIDENTS HERE ARE "CONNECTED" AND WHO'S INCOME IS ABOVE THE "POOR". These apartments have for some time been controversial because of the "system" used to pick and choose potential renters, most of which were placed "from the friends and family sytem".
    The rents here are ridiculously low for a waterfront view...of which many enjoy.
    DICK has good reason to "cago" as this complex should be sold, and put on the city's TAX ROLLS.
    PERHAPS you might focus your energies in JAMESTOWN ....I'm sure it far from paradise there!!

Quote Originally Posted by joe d.
    LINDA D.....YOU OUGHTA CHECK YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU SHOOT OFF YOUR MOUTH...!!!
    MOST OF THE RESIDENTS HERE ARE "CONNECTED" AND WHO'S INCOME IS ABOVE THE "POOR". These apartments have for some time been controversial because of the "system" used to pick and choose potential renters, most of which were placed "from the friends and family sytem".
    The rents here are ridiculously low for a waterfront view...of which many enjoy.
    DICK has good reason to "cago" as this complex should be sold, and put on the city's TAX ROLLS.
    PERHAPS you might focus your energies in JAMESTOWN ....I'm sure it far from paradise there!!
    1. I said these apartments were for middle income families and the elderly. The elderly are the ones who most likely qualify for the super-low rents because many only have Social Security and very small pensions from their jobs.

2. The previous management company was removed because they were not following DHCR rules about renting to families as well as discriminating against non-whites.

3. When the COB gets rid of the Empire Zone tax breaks for the owners of the half million dollar townhouses for the rich folks, then maybe we can talk about displacing middle income people who live in the Marine Drive apartments.

4. The COB has plenty of waterfront property to develop without touching the Marine Drive apartments, so let developers develop those sites -- without subsidies and without giant tax breaks.

5. It's not against the law to have worked in City Hall or to know or be related to someone who works in City Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    1. I said these apartments were for middle income families and the elderly. The elderly are the ones who most likely qualify for the super-low rents because many only have Social Security and very small pensions from their jobs.

2. The previous management company was removed because they were not following DHCR rules about renting to families as well as discriminating against non-whites.

3. When the COB gets rid of the Empire Zone tax breaks for the owners of the half million dollar townhouses for the rich folks, then maybe we can talk about displacing middle income people who live in the Marine Drive apartments.

4. The COB has plenty of waterfront property to develop without touching the Marine Drive apartments, so let developers develop those sites -- without subsidies and without giant tax breaks.

5. It's not against the law to have worked in City Hall or to know or be related to someone who works in City Hall.

And the truth comes out.

At least you are not trying to say those tax breaks are against the rules. I just loved how you walked away from that thread once you were proven wrong.

In terms of waterfront property, I thought it was the tundra and not able to be developed. According to you, the Outer Harbor is uninhabitable. That leaves the Inner Harbor where this complex is and the First Ward where you say the residents should be left alone.

Just where do you think the COB should look to develop waterfront housing Linda?

Do you want some sugar with the lemons you are sucking on.....

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    And the truth comes out.

At least you are not trying to say those tax breaks are against the rules. I just loved how you walked away from that thread once you were proven wrong.

In terms of waterfront property, I thought it was the tundra and not able to be developed. According to you, the Outer Harbor is uninhabitable. That leaves the Inner Harbor where this complex is and the First Ward where you say the residents should be left alone.

Just where do you think the COB should look to develop waterfront housing Linda?

Do you want some sugar with the lemons you are sucking on.....
    The expensive, virtually tax-exempt, townhouses are being built on the Inner Harbor not the Outer Harbor.

Maybe you should consult a map of Buffalo, lefty, since your geography of the area is so fuzzy that you don't recognize developable waterfront property unless somebody tells you about it. Better yet, the next time you visit, take a drive along the waterfront.

There is also land along the Buffalo River east of the HSBC where the old railroad station was. Since they demolished the architecturally significant part of the train station, it's time to take the rest of the station down instead of using it as a glorified train barn -- if there really is that much demand for waterfront housing.

Then there's the three huge parking lots bounded by Mississippi, Perry, Michigan, and South Park just to the north and east of the train barn. These are virtually empty unless there are events at the HSBC Center.

There is a huge amount of developable land north of the Peace Bridge along Niagara Street to Tonawanda Street. In fact, it appears Carl Paladino is sniffing around that area, which means that there must be public money for development available -- or soon to be available.

Another smaller parcel is at the foot of Hertel Avenue where's there already two high rise apartment buildings and the land's been "shovel ready" for at least 30 years.

Finally, there's the area on Niagara Street in Riverside north of Riverside Park which could be redeveloped for high-end housing.

Oh, silly me! I forgot that if it's not "downtown" then it doesn't exist, and here I thought that was just Mayor Tone's dumbarse view of the city!

The expensive, virtually tax-exempt, townhouses are being built on the Inner Harbor not the Outer Harbor.

Maybe you should consult a map of Buffalo, lefty, since your geography of the area is so fuzzy that you don't recognize developable waterfront property unless somebody tells you about it. Better yet, the next time you visit, take a drive along the waterfront.

There is also land along the Buffalo River east of the HSBC where the old railroad station was. Since they demolished the architecturally significant part of the train station, it's time to take the rest of the station down instead of using it as a glorified train barn -- if there really is that much demand for waterfront housing.

Then there's the three huge parking lots bounded by Mississippi, Perry, Michigan, and South Park just to the north and east of the train barn. These are virtually empty unless there are events at the HSBC Center.

There is a huge amount of developable land north of the Peace Bridge along Niagara Street to Tonawanda Street. In fact, it appears Carl Paladino is sniffing around that area, which means that there must be public money for development available -- or soon to be available.

Another smaller parcel is at the foot of Hertel Avenue where's there already two high rise apartment buildings and the land's been "shovel ready" for at least 30 years.

Finally, there's the area on Niagara Street in Riverside north of Riverside Park which could be redeveloped for high-end housing.

Oh, silly me! I forgot that if it's not "downtown" then it doesn't exist, and here I thought that was just Mayor Tone's dumbarse view of the city!
    Ah...See you are talking about RIVERfront land and I am talking about WATERfront as in LAKEfront. I can see where you would be confused on the difference being that you live in the pastures of Jamestown.

All of the examples you list are on a river or a narrow body of water compared to the vast views of Lake Erie. Ask any real estate agent, as I have, and you will learn that the view of just water is worth much more and considered different to views of water and then Fort Erie. Both are nice but different.

I can also see where you would get the "if it is not downtown, it does not exist" frustration but have you ever thought about why? Let me give you a couple of examples of why.

• Homeowner near the Peace Bridge think their homes are historical because they are old.
    • Homeowners near Buff State put up a challenge on the hotel that is needed.
    • Homeowners at Gate Circle fought a huge tower OUTSIDE OF THE EMPIRE ZONE because of bird migration patterns and some BS about reflective heating.
    • Homeowners near D'Youville feel they have the right to control how the campus expands simply because they live near the campus.
    With these mindsets, who the hell wants to do development outside of the city core and deal with residents when they can develop inside of the city and for the most part be welcome with open arms?

I agree that the train barn site should be used however, the view of any building is going to be of the GM plant. MUCH MUCH different then looking out to an endless Lake Erie.

I can see your frustration with people like Carl. The hard truth is the developers with the juice to develop without tax breaks will simply not touch the area. Ever think why? If people are so frustrated with the handful of developers who work in the area, maybe they should ask why only a handful of local developers work in the area.

You can not fault how the game is played as long as it is played by the rules.

In terms of the parking lots in the cobblestone district, I am not sure why they are not developed. My guess is that the "historical powers that be" like Tim T. have put out the word that they will demand the same historical BS they want on the Inner Harbor. Even though NOTHING exists there today.

Lastly, I love how you can not bring yourself to admit you were full of sh*t on the Empire Zone topic. So typical of you. Maybe when I look at a map you should do some reading.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Ah...See you are talking about RIVERfront land and I am talking about WATERfront as in LAKEfront. I can see where you would be confused on the difference being that you live in the pastures of Jamestown.

All of the examples you list are on a river or a narrow body of water compared to the vast views of Lake Erie. Ask any real estate agent, as I have, and you will learn that the view of just water is worth much more and considered different to views of water and then Fort Erie. Both are nice but different.

I can also see where you would get the "if it is not downtown, it does not exist" frustration but have you ever thought about why? Let me give you a couple of examples of why.
    • Homeowner near the Peace Bridge think their homes are historical because they are old.
    • Homeowners near Buff State put up a challenge on the hotel that is needed.
    • Homeowners at Gate Circle fought a huge tower OUTSIDE OF THE EMPIRE ZONE because of bird migration patterns and some BS about reflective heating.
    • Homeowners near D'Youville feel they have the right to control how the campus expands simply because they live near the campus.
    With these mindsets, who the hell wants to do development outside of the city core and deal with residents when they can develop inside of the city and for the most part be welcome with open arms?

I agree that the train barn site should be used however, the view of any building is going to be of the GM plant. MUCH MUCH different then looking out to an endless Lake Erie.

I can see your frustration with people like Carl. The hard truth is the developers with the juice to develop without tax breaks will simply not touch the area. Ever think why? If people are so frustrated with the handful of developers who work in the area, maybe they should ask why only a handful of local developers work in the area.

You can not fault how the game is played as long as it is played by the rules.

In terms of the parking lots in the cobblestone district, I am not sure why they are not developed. My guess is that the "historical powers that be" like Tim T. have put out the word that they will demand the same historical BS they want on the Inner Harbor. Even though NOTHING exists there today.

Lastly, I love how you can not bring yourself to admit you were full of sh*t on the Empire Zone topic. So typical of you. Maybe when I look at a map you should do some reading.
    Lefty, the Inner Harbor is part of the Buffalo River. The vistas looking north from the foot of Hertel Avenue or the bluff above the I-190 north of Riverside Park are of a broad, flat lake as the Niagara widens before splitting to go around Grand Island. The two or three story townhouses at the Inner Harbor have limited lake views and some face the I-190 and the railroad tracks.

As for the Empire Zone topic, I maintain that the COB has perverted the intention of the law in order to extend EZ tax credits to private dwellings and favor the wealthy and the well connected (Frank Clark comes to mind). Private dwellings are NOT businesses and so don't employ anyone, and the intention of the EZ legislation was to assist businesses that created new jobs.

Of course, I'm not surprised at this kind of hanky-panky, because this has been SOP in the COB going back a century and more. That's the real problem with Buffalo. It's a city where the good of the majority of citizens has always been sacrificed for the benefit of a relatively small handful of powerful individuals (inside and outside of government), and ordinary citizens are always treated like some nasty stuff the "most favored folks" stepped in.

Why did the 198 plow through Delaware Park but destroy Humboldt Parkway in the 1960s? Because the "right people" lived north and south of Delaware Park and didn't want an expressway disturbing their mansions while the folks who lived along Humboldt had money but didn't have the influence, so they got screwed -- along with generations of ordinary Buffalonians who have the serenity of a great Olmstead Park as well as Forest Lawn Cemetery forever wrecked by an expressway.

The COB would have put an expressway through the heart of the Lower West Side and Allentown if NYS hadn't refused to fund the West Side Arterial. Those people lacked both money and power and would have been steam-rollered into oblivion, just as the Ellicott District and the Busti-Seventh Street neighborhood were wiped out.

I can't blame Tim Tielmann and his preservationist cohorts as well as the people in the Fargo/Busti area for fighting for their neighborhoods anyway they can. The COB has repeatedly demonstrated that it can't be trusted to do anything but put the interests of its citizens dead last. I speak from having lived in the COB for 20+ years, so I've been there, done that. It's also why I would never live inside the city limits ever again.

As for the Empire Zone topic, I maintain that the COB has perverted the intention of the law in order to extend EZ tax credits to private dwellings and favor the wealthy and the well connected (Frank Clark comes to mind). Private dwellings are NOT businesses and so don't employ anyone, and the intention of the EZ legislation was to assist businesses that created new jobs.

UMMM. Nice try. The intent of the Empire Zone has always been what it is. It is for growth. Job growth and development growth. You simply do not want it used for development growth. You took a stand that this was against the rules and I called you out on it. This is the first time you have take the stand that the COB has been involved. Before you were proven wrong, you said the developers were scamming the system in a matter of words.

Of course, I'm not surprised at this kind of hanky-panky, because this has been SOP in the COB going back a century and more. That's the real problem with Buffalo. It's a city where the good of the majority of citizens has always been sacrificed for the benefit of a relatively small handful of powerful individuals (inside and outside of government), and ordinary citizens are always treated like some nasty stuff the "most favored folks" stepped in.

The COB has been run under an archaic system for the last 100 years. For every example of elite power you can provide, I can so an example of Tammany politics just the same.
    You are correct that the "voter" has been left out for a very very long time.

The difference is the elite put in money, work the system to make more money. The other side, the side that I have issues with, put in little to nothing in terms of personal capitol but have carved out their own line of profits. I think the latter is worse just for that fact.

Why did the 198 plow through Delaware Park but destroy Humboldt Parkway in the 1960s? Because the "right people" lived north and south of Delaware Park and didn't want an expressway disturbing their mansions while the folks who lived along Humboldt had money but didn't have the influence, so they got screwed -- along with generations of ordinary Buffalonians who have the serenity of a great Olmstead Park as well as Forest Lawn Cemetery forever wrecked by an expressway.

We are on the same page in terms of mistakes. What I find amusing is how blind you are to the skyway issue.
    When the 198 and 33 were created, it was done by a State Agency who wanted to get something done and killed opportunity for the city on behalf of people in the burbs for their commute.
    THIS IS THE SAME ISSUE OF THE OUTER HARBOR.
    Once again you have a state agency who wants to simply complete a project on behalf of suburban commuters and the expense of the city.

The same conversations we are having today of "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING" in terms of the 198 and 33 are THE SAME CONVERSATIONS people will have about the Outer Harbor if the DOT plan is carried out.

What you do not see, and what I have tried to point out several times, is projects like this need to be done with THE FUTURE in mind not the present.
    The COB would have put an expressway through the heart of the Lower West Side and Allentown if NYS hadn't refused to fund the West Side Arterial. Those people lacked both money and power and would have been steam-rollered into oblivion, just as the Ellicott District and the Busti-Seventh Street neighborhood were wiped out.

Even worse this time around is there are no residents on the Outer Harbor. Because of this, the DOT plan does not have a face...YET. But it will. In years to come, it will be view as another giant mistake made because leadership was scared to have vision.

I can't blame Tim Tielmann and his preservationist cohorts as well as the people in the Fargo/Busti area for fighting for their neighborhoods anyway they can. The COB has repeatedly demonstrated that it can't be trusted to do anything but put the interests of its citizens dead last. I speak from having lived in the COB for 20+ years, so I've been there, done that. It's also why I would never live inside the city limits ever again.

Great. Since you will never live inside of the city you should not care what goes on. In terms of cost, this is a STATE project. You should have just as much concern on this project as you do for something downstate.

NYC is spending BILLIONS on an extension of the subway because they are thinking about the next 100 years. Why are you so against Buffalo having the same vision.

By the way, the cost of the subway extension is going to take more from you and return less in terms of your quality of live then the removal of the skyway.

Lastly, the Freezer Queen site is announcing 125 condos on the Tundra/Outer Harbor. Maybe you should put in a call to the developers and advise them nobody wants to live out there or pay to live out there. They should just give up.....

Gentrification is a very good thing to improve neighborhoods as long as it does not include SOCIAL gentrification. To oust the elderly and/or poor to lower middle class does not bring any city "up." It just adds to the pitiful outlook of the haves over the have-nots.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J
    Gentrification is a very good thing to improve neighborhoods as long as it does not include SOCIAL gentrification. To oust the elderly and/or poor to lower middle class does not bring any city "up." It just adds to the pitiful outlook of the haves over the have-nots.
    Well said, Merl!

Unregistered

MARINE DR delinquents face eviction

It appears that some rationality is finally appearing at BMHA's Marine Drive Apartments.

However, I fear that Deidre Wms is off the mark by alleging that the complex is not subsidized, when it has long benefited from heavy INDIRECT SUBSIDIES . . . . reduced taxes, mortgage expense on a fraction of the complex's worth, etc.

Most troubling is the 'culture of entitlement' enabling tenants to run up such huge arrears without consequences, when rents for those who do pay are so low.

What is the current rent structure at Marine Drive by bedroom size?

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/458696.html

MARINE DRIVE APARTMENTS
    Delinquent tenants face eviction

By Deidre Williams NEWS STAFF REPORTER, Updated: 10/09/08 7:09 AM

Marine Drive Apartments residents who owe thousands of dollars in back rent are facing eviction under a sweeping housecleaning initiative.

Since Erie Regional Housing Development Corp. took over management of Marine Drive, about 60 residents have been put through the eviction process and so far 25 have been evicted, said Henry M. Littles, the general manager.

The others either moved out before they could be evicted, or they paid up their rent.

Littles was hired by Erie Regional Housing Development Corp. in January 2007, when the company started managing the downtown apartment complex on the waterfront, which is owned by the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority.

About a year ago, Erie Regional hired Kevin Gaughan, known as a regionalism activist, to handle the eviction process, BMHA Board Chairman Michael Seaman said.

The help was needed, Littles added. When Erie Regional came aboard, finances were in disarray. There was an outstanding water bill for more than $1 million. Other bill delinquencies exceeded $250,000. And the tenants of about 60 apartments in the 616-unit development were at least a year behind in rent, Littles said.

The delinquent rents were a big problem because Marine Drive, which receives no subsidies, pays its bills from the rents it receives.

“The rent revenue is close to $3 million annually and our bills are about equal,” said Littles, adding that some of the tenants’ outstanding balances were at $7,000.

“That’s not even delinquent. That’s just basically squatting in the apartment,” he said.

Added Gaughan: “There are people who owe $3,000, $4,000 or $5,000. We’ve evicted about 25 people who haven’t paid rent at all. About four are left who we’re trying to work with.”

Hutchens-Kissling, a management company, ran Marine Drive from 2004 to 2006, when residents spearheaded its termination through a letter-writing campaign. Residents had complained about the run-down condition of the complex.

dswilliams@buffnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch
    It appears that some rationality is finally appearing at BMHA's Marine Drive Apartments.

However, I fear that Deidre Wms is off the mark by alleging that the complex is not subsidized, when it has long benefited from heavy INDIRECT SUBSIDIES . . . . reduced taxes, mortgage expense on a fraction of the complex's worth, etc.

Most troubling is the 'culture of entitlement' enabling tenants to run up such huge arrears without consequences, when rents for those who do pay are so low.

Kern, you are correct. As most subsidized housing is paid by state and federal bonds the mortgage here is paid by NYS. However, the monthly rents are in place to cover all expenses of the property unlike other subsidized housing complexes. Marine Drive pays full water, electric and gas bills like anyone else but the taxes are paid "in lieu" and amount to approximately $40,000 annually.

If you would like more information regarding the rents at Marine Drive, we are currently developing a website with all rental information. Please understand the site is under construction. http://marinedriveapts.com

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch

It's ironic... like you stated in another thread, a city of Bflo property owner without a correct # on his house will get a fine for over $50.00 and will get penalities and interest and headache for being a hardworking stiff.

Marine Drive Apts will never see any of their money. 60 tenants X $4,000 average = $240,000 . That would of keep the property owner fines to $25.00

The people on this forum should be outraged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information