Thread: and you think our town supervisors are morons?

and you think our town supervisors are morons?

updated 4:01 p.m. ET, Wed., July. 18, 2007
    FORT HILL, Pa. - A trash fire started by township supervisors burned down their municipal building, authorities said.

No one was injured in the blaze Tuesday in Addison Township, but the building used for meetings, elections and as a garage was destroyed.

The supervisors had left the trash fire unattended and “it caught some material behind the building on fire,” said Bill Barlow, chief of the Addison Volunteer Fire Co., about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

A new township pickup truck with just 100 miles on its odometer was also destroyed, supervisor Galen Beachy said. Luckily, most of the township’s plowing equipment and the records were stored elsewhere, he said.

justKel
    That reminds me of Centralia PA, which was reduced to a ghost town due to an underground coal fire started by an exposed vein in a landfill. They couldn't agree on who was going to pay to put the fire out, so it was left to burn until it got out of control and it literally burned the entire town out, leaving gaping, smoking sinkholes, smoking tree stumps, and the insufferable stench of sulfur in the air. I visited there in 2002 with a couple of other people. It was absolutely amazing. I have pics from that experience around somewhere, including pics of our melted shoes after we stood in one hotspot near a cemetery too long.

Kel

Quote Originally Posted by justKel
    That reminds me of Centralia PA, which was reduced to a ghost town due to an underground coal fire started by an exposed vein in a landfill. They couldn't agree on who was going to pay to put the fire out, so it was left to burn until it got out of control and it literally burned the entire town out, leaving gaping, smoking sinkholes, smoking tree stumps, and the insufferable stench of sulfur in the air. I visited there in 2002 with a couple of other people. It was absolutely amazing. I have pics from that experience around somewhere, including pics of our melted shoes after we stood in one hotspot near a cemetery too long.

Kel
    Yeah! I want to go there...I'm so interested in that place. I used to drive around Love Canal before they tore everything down.
    I have this weird fascination for ghost towns.

Thing is...there's actually people that still live in Centralia.

Do you know that movie "Silent Hill?" (Also a video game)

Centralia was the inspiration for that video game/movie.

If you look at Centralia on a google map hybrid, it's funny..you can see where they cut out the road to the town.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Thread Information