Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym/Health Club Memberships

Here's the thing about stretching and men; they don't do it. It's true. Runners are some of the worst offenders. Men tend to be very tight in the hamstrings which can lead to lots of issues. Easy light stretching before, and more aggressive stretching after a run can prevent injuries down the road. Truly.

I have been going to Gold's, first in West Seneca on Seneca St., but now-a-days here in Cheektowaga at French and Transit. $29/month is well worth it to me. I luved the setup in the old Gold's on Seneca but this one on French, albeit a little trendy, is O.K. for my training.

I go to world gym in Hamburg and I love it. I have a student membership for $10 a month. Membership includes classes (such as pilates, yoga, karate, body pump, step, etc.) as well as childcare services. I love this gym. I moved to West Seneca and am closer to Baily's, but I'll never leave world gym

Quote Originally Posted by mrakwaters
    I go to world gym in Hamburg and I love it. I have a student membership for $10 a month. Membership includes classes (such as pilates, yoga, karate, body pump, step, etc.) as well as childcare services. I love this gym. I moved to West Seneca and am closer to Baily's, but I'll never leave world gym

is dan valenti still working there as a trainer??....if he is...tell him i said hello!!

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Where do you go?
    Where is it located?
    What's included?
    What's it costing?
    What are the chances of Riven or Selwyn finding a date there?
    JCC Amherst

North Forest Road

-State-of-the-art ellipticals, treadmills & other aerobic machines,
    -circuit-traning weight machines
    -Big-assed heated indoor and outdoor (summer) pools
    -Squash/Racketball courts
    -Basketball court
    -Newly refurbished locker rooms with saunas and steamrooms
    -VERY well educated personal trainers
    -Yoga and tons of other classes to sign up for (extra)
    -Massage (extra!)
    -Daycare
    -"Hardcore" weight room upstairs with running track around it, a power rack, Smith Machine, cable crossover machine, seated T-bar machine, leg press, several fixed benches, calve machine, seated leg curl machine, 8 or more loose benches, decline benches, ab machine, tons of bosu balls;All kinds of instruction and workout programs offered
    Much, much more included
    Plenty of mirrors

Cost? I THINK around $300/yr with a discount for students and seniors. Two initial free training sessions.

Courteous, professional, clean and friendly

Dating and mating?

SOME hot women, but most are beasts.
    Kidding. Plenty of women to date.

I go there to paump iron und vork vith der aerobic machines! Der gym is for veights!!
    Not to pickup der chip floozies und go "bouncy bouncy" mit in der bedroom!!!

Minuses? Just one...TOO MANY DAMNED SCREAMING KIDS!!!
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    I go there to paump iron und vork vith der aerobic machines! Der gym is for veights!!
    Not to pickup der chip floozies und go "bouncy bouncy" mit in der bedroom!!!

Minuses? Just one...TOO MANY DAMNED SCREAMING KIDS!!!
    I HATE it when you speak German

Cost? I THINK around $300/yr with a discount for students and seniors. Two initial free training sessions.
    Which are you, a student or a senior? Do they give discounts to Jewishes or do they actually increase their fee?

General Question: Is there a gym in, or near, the city of Buffalo where you can work out without membership...in other words, "pay-as-you-go?" (preferably clean w/Cybex and free-weights)

Secondly, has anyone ever used a body bar? I have a 15 lb. bar and I love it. You can work virtually any muscle group. The one draw back is the limited range of motion as opposed to free weights. It's one of my favorite "at-home" work out tools. That and my little one-dollar rubber ball.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun
    I HATE it when you speak German

Which are you, a student or a senior? Do they give discounts to Jewishes or do they actually increase their fee?

I'm neither a student or a senior: I graduated nursery sh-College
    and I'm 45 (just to clarify)

By joining a local temple of my choice, ostensibly to pray, meet and interact with other Jews and "rediscover" my Judiasm, I received a huge membership discount at the JCC
    (don't know if its still offered)

The greater Buffalo Jewish community is trying to get Jews back into Judiasm,
    so yes, I DID receive a huge discount on my center membership for the first year (two years ago), but after that its around $300/YR for one member with discounts for famalies, of course

There isn't a discount for just being Jewish and well over half of the center's members are non-Jews.

I'm pretty sure that students and seniors
    get a really nice discount.

The JCC has a great website and you should be able to get your information from it or you can call/stop in at the Amherst, North Forest Rd. center or the one on Deleware in Buffalo

General Question: Is there a gym in, or near, the city of Buffalo where you can work out without membership...in other words, "pay-as-you-go?" (preferably clean w/Cybex and free-weights)

One in Kenmore, Deleware Avenue

Secondly, has anyone ever used a body bar? I have a 15 lb. bar and I love it. You can work virtually any muscle group. The one draw back is the limited range of motion as opposed to free weights. It's one of my favorite "at-home" work out tools. That and my little one-dollar rubber ball.

If you can somehow use a local college's or university's gym, that might be a pay-as-you go deal

Another option: Some of the Y's are pretty damned good.

YEARS ago, I joined the Deleware Y with membership fees based on a sliding scale for my income-GREAT DEAL

That new huge gym on Sheridan & Eggert might offer a decent pay-as-you-go deal

If you want to put together a great home gym, then write/type out a list of what equipment you'll need (adjust it to your changing needs over time) and slowly buy something new every week or whenever you can

a large mirror
    Olympic weights with adjustable dumbells
    Adjustable bench for flat, incline & decline presses
    Lat pulldown or pullup bar T-bar
    extra weights and bars
    a belt is RARELY needed;Mainly for HEAVY lifts
    workout gloves or the ones with hooks
    a squat rack

Hell, if you can somehow get a Smith Machine & a power rack, you're just about set!

"Dick's" carries some killer combo machines but you can buy weight and other excercise eqpt:

"The Buffalo News" (Especially the thrifities)
    "The Swap Sheet"
    "Craig's List"
    Your local community newspapers

I'll stop writing German since I'm not mocking Timmy anymore and imitating Arnold is old and lame
    (like John McCain!)
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Where do you go?
    Where is it located?
    What's included?
    What's it costing?
    What are the chances of Riven or Selwyn finding a date there?
    1.) basement gym (treadmill , weight bench , stepper , soft rug for threapy/stretching excercises , etc.) 2.) My home 3.) It's all paid for right now 4.) My 80 year old mother-in-law (lives w/us) is "free" right now , they "may" have a shot ? Also do a lot of walking in the neighborhood , don't kill ourselves , walk at approx. a 3 MPH "pace" , it's pretty easy on the knees............
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Thumbs up

I lift at home in my garage, and have done so for many years. I do miss the old World Gym though when it was on Walden in the 80's. I'd drive from Elma just to lift there. More 100 pound York plates on the racks than you could easily count, and delicious protein shakes! That was a true destination for any obsessed lifter, such as yours truly.

Donny opened back up as a key club on Transit near Genesee for a while after he left Walden, but it just wasn't the same. About the same length as Walden, but it was super narrow.

Also around roughly the same time frame, Steve Binkowski (a.k.a. 'The Bink') had a pretty nice gym on the east side of Transit between Como Park and Losson/William. That man had calves on him like a Sahlen's smokehouse ham, and boy howdy could he move some serious iron. He taught me a heckuva lot about lifting. Last I heard he was in Florida, but that was a long time ago.

I did lift for a while at Fitness Factory in Kenmore, and that was an OK place. It was 250 for one year at the time (circa 2001) and they had some decent equipment. And an Eleiko bar with the old style rubber-rimmed York bumper plates courtesy of 'Olympic Ed' who is actually another World Gym 'former' member.

I'd love to open up a place like the old World Gym when I retire, it would be a true retreat for obsessive dinosaur lifters and 'Milo' readers. Hopefully it will happen.
    'If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much
    about it?' Sagoyewatha 'Red Jacket' 1757-1830

Quote Originally Posted by StashuDapew
    Also around roughly the same time frame, Steve Binkowski (a.k.a. 'The Bink') had a pretty nice gym on the east side of Transit between Como Park and Losson/William.
    Pyramid, I loved that place! Was right after H.S. when some H.S. buds and I started going there. He was pretty big from what I remember. Wasn't he, his son, or sons(?) all into that power lifting? I remember the one guy looked like Hercules Hernandez but bigger. They would all train heavy as hell while us youngsters watched in amazement at what they would lift, bench, squat, etc... That was cool!

Quote Originally Posted by DR_GONZO
    Pyramid, I loved that place! Was right after H.S. when some H.S. buds and I started going there. He was pretty big from what I remember. Wasn't he, his son, or sons(?) all into that power lifting? I remember the one guy looked like Hercules Hernandez but bigger. They would all train heavy as hell while us youngsters watched in amazement at what they would lift, bench, squat, etc... That was cool!
    steve binkowski won the mr buffalo in 1988....he was a beast!!

by the way.....in the 275lb class in 1990 in the buffalo power lifting championships...he benched 474....as i said.....he was a beast!!

Hey bigpapapuff, Stashu Dapew & DR GONZO..... It's Steve Binkowski here!
    Thanks for all the kind words guys!
    Just thought I would let you guys I have been living in Sarasota FL since 1993
    I just turned 63 last May, you guys feel old now don't you?
    Quit lifting altogether in 2002. finished off my career with a 429 bench @230 bwt in 2002 and the highlight of my PL career was winning a Gold in Graz Austria 1n 1998 in 275 50-54 in the APF Worlds.

Please reply and let me know what you guys are up to these days.

Steve Binkowski

Steve, just want to say thanks for running such a kick arse gym back in the day! Loved that place. Nothing fancy, just pure weight lifting equipment, that worked better than most of the junk at gyms now-a-days. To this day, working out has been a stable in my life based on the basics I toiled with back in Pyramid. No candy-a55, buttercup, flavor of the day B.S. Just down and dirty lifting. No picnics!

Once again thanks for opening the door to the best gym I have ever been into in Buffalo,
    DR_GONZO

Thumbs up Wife issue solved

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff View Post
    i've been at body blocks...excellent gym and trainers.....right now i'm at allentown athletix....if fitness 19 opens in north bflo or downtown,i'll join.....the owner is a good friend and client of mine.....

Did you solve the "Wife issue"? Sounds like you go to a club on your own?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information