Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty has turned into a whore

Tom Petty has turned into a whore

First of all, let me say that I like Tom Petty. All the way back since Damn the Torpedoes. What was that - '79 or so? So we're talking about nearly 30 years.

Petty always had this thing where he was the "anti-corporate" guy. Years ago, he fought his own record company to keep the price of his album down. He has written songs about the corporate state of music.

He's always been that guy - fighting the system.

Now, he's playing the Super Bowl, the most corporate event in this great Country of our's. And, tomorrow, tickets go on sale for his tour this Summer. (Tickets for Summer tours do not usually go on sale first week of February, btw.)

So, now he's turned into the corporate guy. And its not as if he needs to sell tickets. The last few times I saw him were sell outs.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    First of all, let me say that I like Tom Petty. All the way back since Damn the Torpedoes. What was that - '79 or so? So we're talking about nearly 30 years.

Petty always had this thing where he was the "anti-corporate" guy. Years ago, he fought his own record company to keep the price of his album down. He has written songs about the corporate state of music.

Now, he's playing the Super Bowl, the most corporate event in this great Country of our's. And, tomorrow, tickets go on sale for his tour this Summer. (Tickets for Summer tours do not usually go on sale first week of February, btw.)

So, now he's turned into the corporate guy. And its not as if he needs to sell tickets. The last few times I saw him were sell outs.
    It happens to them all eventually....aging rockstars that is. McCartney, bless his heart, did the same damn thing.

Petty will still rock.

not to mention these guys petty,mellencamp,etc do not have the same outlets to get there music out there that they used to so they need to come up with new ways to let us know they have a new record out or that they are going on tour. is playing the super bowl that bad? i mean if he comes out with a turntable and does a duet with 50 cent than you can call him a sell out.

I call those "401K Tours".

I thought he was dead.

probably made more today

than he made in all of 1984.

"runnin' down a dream"!!!!!......yes!!!

You take it on faith, you take it to the heart

Thank god there was no wardrobe malfunction!!!!!

American Girl was my favorite...I like classic Petty the most, but...he still rocks. Cool staging.

...... And you have a problem with smart business sense He was probably told to change his way or else a violin would be playing for him instead.

"American Girl" is still an awesome song (last night), even if he played it like he was on Prozac.

Tom Petty has turned into a whore....

I wish my wife would!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buffaloagain
    "American Girl" is still an awesome song (last night), even if he played it like he was on Prozac.
    I agree that was a little weird--he must have been stoned. I know he's mellow but he seemed a little high last night. Either way he still nailed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information