+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Manhattan Project Still Affecting Western New York

  1. #1
    Unregistered Dr Funky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    4,293

    Manhattan Project Still Affecting Western New York

    http://www.wivb.com/global/story.asp?s=7805312

    Manhattan Project Still Affecting Western New York

    (Niagara County, NY, January 31, 2008) - - No one investigates like News 4. The federal government is trying to decide what to do with tons of radioactive material from the Manhattan Project. News 4's Luke Moretti reports.

    Its been temporarily stored both above and below ground in Niagara County for decades. Behind this gate are stark reminders of a buried history in the Town of Lewiston.

    Bill Kowalewski, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, "There is buried radioactive material."

    Atomic materials that have been in the ground, covered by a clay cap, since the 1980's.

    Michelle Rhodes, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, "A majority of them have a an extremely long half life in the millions of years range."

    The United States Army Corps of Engineers just released the findings of an eight year investigation of the site. It concludes the clay containment cell is working, and that there's no imminent hazard to safety or health.

    Bill Kowalski, "This structure will be protective for another 200 years."

    But not everyone accepts the government report on its face. University at Buffalo scientist Dr. Joseph Gardella.

    Dr. Joseph Gardella, University at Buffalo Scientist, "I have no confidence in those conclusions. That's the strongest statement I can say."

    Walt Garrow, Environmental Health Professor, "Our fear is that it may be leaking. We don't know. We would like to find out more information."

    To understand what's happening today, we need to go back in time 60 years. A time when a proud Western New York work force did what was required to end World War II.

    August 1945, a mushroom cloud rises above Hiroshima, Japan. The atomic genie is out of the bottle. Results from a secret program known as the "Manhattan Project " with a deep connection to Western New York, drops Japan to its knees, ending World War II.

    President Harry Truman, "...which specifies the unconditional surrender of Japan..."

    Bill Kowalski, "This nation had one World War II. We had one Manhattan Project and there's one Niagara Falls storage site."

    Commercial industries in places like Niagara Falls, Lockport, Tonawanda and Lackawanna provided much of the materials required to make the bomb.

    We are standing right on the site of radioactive waste from the Manhattan Project, correct?

    Michelle Rhodes, "Yes."

    Located south of Lake Ontario and east of the Niagara River is the Niagara Falls Storage Site in the Town of Lewiston. This once robost farm land is now a radioactive graveyard.

    Walt Garrow, "It's not designed for long-term. Even the government reconizes it by using the word interim."

    Bottomline, although the government knew how to make the most complex weapon known to mankind, little was done to find a permanent solution for the radioactive waste. In fact for the first 30 years it was stored above ground in this silo.

    Dr. Joseph Gardella, U.B. Scientist, "Certainly in the 80's it was just inexcusable to have this much material stored in an open silo."

    Will we ever know the exposure from those materials being in the silo?

    Dr. Joseph Gardella, "No..no..we won't."

    In the mid 1980's the government moved it from above the ground silo. Today the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers must decide whether it stays forever.

    While the government claims there's no imminent public health threat to you, there is concern about the long-term storage of this radioactive material."

    Bill Kowalski, "We know that there's a risk here. We have assumed that there is a long term risk here, and it needs to be dealt with."

    Lou Ricciuti, Niagara County resident, "This community paid a very high price for America to have it's global standing. And the very least that's owed to us is the truth."

    So what is the truth about the storage of atomic waste at the Lewiston site? If it's safe now, will it be ten, twenty, or hundred years from now?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    http://www.wivb.com/global/story.asp?s=7805312

    Manhattan Project Still Affecting Western New York

    (Niagara County, NY, January 31, 2008) - - No one investigates like News 4. The federal government is trying to decide what to do with tons of radioactive material from the Manhattan Project. News 4's Luke Moretti reports.

    Its been temporarily stored both above and below ground in Niagara County for decades. Behind this gate are stark reminders of a buried history in the Town of Lewiston.

    Bill Kowalewski, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, "There is buried radioactive material."

    Atomic materials that have been in the ground, covered by a clay cap, since the 1980's.

    Michelle Rhodes, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, "A majority of them have a an extremely long half life in the millions of years range."

    The United States Army Corps of Engineers just released the findings of an eight year investigation of the site. It concludes the clay containment cell is working, and that there's no imminent hazard to safety or health.

    Bill Kowalski, "This structure will be protective for another 200 years."

    But not everyone accepts the government report on its face. University at Buffalo scientist Dr. Joseph Gardella.

    Dr. Joseph Gardella, University at Buffalo Scientist, "I have no confidence in those conclusions. That's the strongest statement I can say."

    Walt Garrow, Environmental Health Professor, "Our fear is that it may be leaking. We don't know. We would like to find out more information."

    To understand what's happening today, we need to go back in time 60 years. A time when a proud Western New York work force did what was required to end World War II.

    August 1945, a mushroom cloud rises above Hiroshima, Japan. The atomic genie is out of the bottle. Results from a secret program known as the "Manhattan Project " with a deep connection to Western New York, drops Japan to its knees, ending World War II.

    President Harry Truman, "...which specifies the unconditional surrender of Japan..."

    Bill Kowalski, "This nation had one World War II. We had one Manhattan Project and there's one Niagara Falls storage site."

    Commercial industries in places like Niagara Falls, Lockport, Tonawanda and Lackawanna provided much of the materials required to make the bomb.

    We are standing right on the site of radioactive waste from the Manhattan Project, correct?

    Michelle Rhodes, "Yes."

    Located south of Lake Ontario and east of the Niagara River is the Niagara Falls Storage Site in the Town of Lewiston. This once robost farm land is now a radioactive graveyard.

    Walt Garrow, "It's not designed for long-term. Even the government reconizes it by using the word interim."

    Bottomline, although the government knew how to make the most complex weapon known to mankind, little was done to find a permanent solution for the radioactive waste. In fact for the first 30 years it was stored above ground in this silo.

    Dr. Joseph Gardella, U.B. Scientist, "Certainly in the 80's it was just inexcusable to have this much material stored in an open silo."

    Will we ever know the exposure from those materials being in the silo?

    Dr. Joseph Gardella, "No..no..we won't."

    In the mid 1980's the government moved it from above the ground silo. Today the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers must decide whether it stays forever.

    While the government claims there's no imminent public health threat to you, there is concern about the long-term storage of this radioactive material."

    Bill Kowalski, "We know that there's a risk here. We have assumed that there is a long term risk here, and it needs to be dealt with."

    Lou Ricciuti, Niagara County resident, "This community paid a very high price for America to have it's global standing. And the very least that's owed to us is the truth."

    So what is the truth about the storage of atomic waste at the Lewiston site? If it's safe now, will it be ten, twenty, or hundred years from now?
    Funky,

    My Father worked at Linde (now Praxair) amongst a whole lot of government projects that cannot be spoken of. He died a very brutal death due to cancer that was probably exposure related, except all that exposure is classified.

    NuclearLou got the closest to piecing it all together, but then he turned into Dick Kern (anyone see the similarities?) and the message was discredited due to the shortcomings of the messenger.

  3. #3
    Unregistered Dr Funky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    4,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Effigy
    Funky,

    My Father worked at Linde (now Praxair) amongst a whole lot of government projects that cannot be spoken of. He died a very brutal death due to cancer that was probably exposure related, except all that exposure is classified.

    NuclearLou got the closest to piecing it all together, but then he turned into Dick Kern (anyone see the similarities?) and the message was discredited due to the shortcomings of the messenger.
    I can understand somewhat of what he went through. He tried to expose the truth and members on the board formed a mob and hypothetically strung him up.

  4. #4
    Member CSense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    I can understand somewhat of what he went through. He tried to expose the truth and members on the board formed a mob and hypothetically strung him up.
    No the truth wasn't the problem, it was the messenger. Would you believe FisherRd if he told you that you could make alot of money on a certain stock, even if he were telling the truth? No, that's becuase you've already made a conscious decision on him as a racist and wouldn't believe a word he wrote. Get it messenger?

  5. #5
    Unregistered Dr Funky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    4,293
    Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    No the truth wasn't the problem, it was the messenger. Would you believe FisherRd if he told you that you could make alot of money on a certain stock, even if he were telling the truth? No, that's becuase you've already made a conscious decision on him as a racist and wouldn't believe a word he wrote. Get it messenger?
    LMAO @ you defending FisherRd.

    Out of all the people on this website. It's a well know FACT that the three major racists on this board are Timmy, Niagara and FisherRD.

    All the others pale in comparison to those three.

    And I will consider anyone who backs them up one as well.

  6. #6
    Member CSense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    LMAO @ you defending FisherRd.

    Out of all the people on this website. It's a well know FACT that the three major racists on this board are Timmy, Niagara and FisherRD.

    All the others pale in comparison to those three.

    And I will consider anyone who backs them up one as well.
    I wasn't defending anyone, I was making an analogy (btw, see nothing wrong with Fish's posts). That is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

    You see Fisher as a racist and one who possesses unreliable facts. If he had honest and truthful information regarding anything, you'd automatically disregard it. That's becuase you have already made up your mind on him. Similarly people have made up their minds on Kern. It's the messenger not necessarily the message.

  7. #7
    Unregistered Dr Funky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    4,293
    Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    I wasn't defending anyone, I was making an analogy (btw, see nothing wrong with Fish's posts). That is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

    You see Fisher as a racist and one who possesses unreliable facts. If he had honest and truthful information regarding anything, you'd automatically disregard it. That's becuase you have already made up your mind on him. Similarly people have made up their minds on Kern. It's the messenger not necessarily the message.
    Here's an example.

    If I come in and say "a police officer beat an unarmed peaceful hardworking black person today for no reason and I saw it happen, and so did a channel 4 news anchor and here's the link."

    Fish head would come in and say "He deserved it, they all deserve it, they shouldn't be wearing baggy clothing listening to rap crap all day long and learn to get a job and get off the welfare I pay for."

    Then Sunday Niagara would come in and say "Flunky Funky loses again."

    Then Michelle would come in and say "Cant we all just get along?"

    Then BTT would back me up.

    Then HipKat would call me a racist because BTT backed me up.

    Then Velvet Fog would say "My wife is a black cop. She says black people deserve it too."

    Then it would continue from there and I would get banned for showing people how stupid they are.

  8. #8
    Unregistered
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles California
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    I can understand somewhat of what he went through. He tried to expose the truth and members on the board formed a mob and hypothetically strung him up.
    And he got what he deserved, BIG TIME!

  9. #9
    Unregistered Dr Funky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    4,293
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
    And he got what he deserved, BIG TIME!

    lmao

    Nuclear Lou posts informative articles, and you spend years on here simply trolling around posting useless things. Yet you are still here...


    Typical Speak Up Western New York.

  10. #10
    Member BorderBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    I wasn't defending anyone, I was making an analogy (btw, see nothing wrong with Fish's posts). That is exactly the point I'm trying to make.
    WOW!~ That went completely over his head didn't it?

    b.b.

  11. #11
    Member granpabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Posts
    3,601

    Manhattan project

    Isn't this thread about the manhattan project. how did it turn into another fight between bigots. why go all the way to Lewiston to find the Manhatten project when some of it is buried in Erie county near the southern Grand island bridge. that nice big hill is not just regular garbage
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    Isn't this thread about the manhattan project. how did it turn into another fight between bigots. why go all the way to Lewiston to find the Manhatten project when some of it is buried in Erie county near the southern Grand island bridge. that nice big hill is not just regular garbage
    If you go a bit East from the landfill near 190/South GI bridge you don't even have to dig. There's a dry creek bed there with radioactive residue.

    The Linde/Praxair site has several wells that were drilled and used for hazardous/radioactive waste storage. I believe that some of that has leached out to Two Mile Creek in the past.

  13. #13
    Member granpabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Posts
    3,601

    my fence

    I built the fence there and fixed it many times many times they stood beside me with Geiger counters. never had a positive reading . waste is buried under the land fill a leaches out of the concrete vault it is supposed to be sealed in. there may be bad areas but my fences never did get a hot reading.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,577
    Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    Isn't this thread about the manhattan project. how did it turn into another fight between bigots. why go all the way to Lewiston to find the Manhatten project when some of it is buried in Erie county near the southern Grand island bridge. that nice big hill is not just regular garbage
    What is it?

  15. #15
    Member granpabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Posts
    3,601

    only know what the guy in the rubber suit told me

    I was told by a worker who held the Geiger counter that a concrete vaults is under it. where waste from the Manhattan project is buried. I never doubted him since he was required to check the dirt I dug for radioactivity. funny thing was I was wearing a tee shirt and jeans and he had a rubber suit on.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Transportation in WNY
    By speaker in forum Polls on Western New York Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
  2. one for ragin-GOVERNOR ANNOUNCES WESTERN NEW YORK COMPANY TO CREATE 250 NEW JOBS AND
    By woodstock in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 19th, 2006, 12:12 AM
  3. Western New York Redevelopment Act of 2005 (Introduced in House)
    By woodstock in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM
  4. The Taylor Law and how it kills taxpayers....
    By takethepowerback in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: April 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts