Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    I respect 100% the effort that you do!
    http://fixbuffaloarchives.blogspot.c...ay-7-2005.html

http://www.kernwatch.com/
    Longtime activist Kern fed up, leaves city, area
    By JAMES HEANEY
    News Staff Reporter
    5/7/2005

Dick Kern, who has waged a relentless and often acidic battle for 15 years against what he considers the forces of waste and corruption, has stopped fighting City Hall.

Discouraged with the city's state of affairs and weary from the Erie County District Attorney's relentless prosecutions, Kern has moved to Minneapolis to join his longtime girlfriend.

"I decided it was pointless to battle the district attorney anymore. This last prosecution really did demoralize me," Kern said from his new hometown. "I'm licking my wounds at this point. I'm gun shy."

Kern, a 65-year-old Ivy League-educated social worker, said his activism was stoked by investigative reports in The Buffalo News during the late 1980s about discrimination, cronyism and waste at the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority.

He has railed against the authority since then, as well as against other city officials whom he contended have squandered hundreds of millions of dollars in housing and anti-poverty aid. Kern blames it on a "political culture of cronyism and unaccountability."

He spared almost no one, and his targets included those who were trying to solve the same problems he was but taking different tacks.

His methods were varied and often confrontational.

He once conducted a hunger strike on the steps of City Hall. Twice he staged symbolic break-ins of public housing apartments.

He would show up at the houses and offices of his targets, sometimes verbally confronting them, other times leafleting their neighborhood. And he wrote columns for alternative weeklies and, more recently, railed via e-mail, which frequently turned into ugly exchanges between Kern and his targets.

"His passion and involvement will be missed - but not his tactics," said Gillian Brown, the housing authority's acting executive director.

True to form, Kern spent his last weekend in Buffalo last month leafleting Brown's home.

"He leafleted my house and car all the time," Brown said.

Kern's only remaining business is the sale of his West Side home. While he has moved and said he's put Buffalo behind him, he is still issuing an occasional alert to an e-mail list, the most recently coming Thursday.

The most aggressive of Kern's tactics, which his critics characterized as harassment or stalking, made him the target of an estimated 15 to 20 prosecutions by District Attorney Frank J. Clark.

Complainants have included former City Treasurer Marilyn Smith, former Niagara Common Council Member Robert Quintana, and Charles Flynn, former chairman of the Independence Party and a member of the housing authority's governing board.

Prosecutors failed to win any convictions, however, although several of Kern's targets obtained orders of protection against him.

Kern had other legal problems, as well. He was cited for housing code violations twice in the late 1990s and was sentenced to jail time by a Housing Court judge.

Clark's persistence in pressing criminal charges prompted Kern to file suit in federal court several years ago, contending the prosecutions were a politically motivated attempt to stop his First Amendment-protected activities.

As part of the court proceedings April 11, both Clark and Kern agreed to drop all pending legal actions.

Michael Kuzma, one of Kern's lawyers, said Kern's departure is unfortunate, in part because Clark used his office to stifle free speech. "Why I was so interested and concerned about Dick's cases was the First Amendment implications," Kuzma said. "If Dick can be prosecuted for his First Amendment activities, anyone could."

Clark said his prosecutions were based on complaints filed by others and insisted he didn't handle Kern's cases any differently than others.

"My feelings about him are no different than the other 49,000 criminal filings in City Court every year," he said.

While many agreed with Kern on the larger issues and respected his sometimes exhaustive research, most said his strident tone and personalized attacks undercut his effectiveness and prompted many to eventually tune him out.

"His own worst enemy" was the phrase often used to describe him.

Kern makes no apologies for his tactics. "I became radicalized by the trouble I saw not changing. I kept whacking harder," he said. "It's hard for me to see how I could do it differently because no one else was stepping up."

Should officials in Minneapolis be preparing for his wrath?

"The culture here is vastly different, the government is accountable. I don't see the blatant corruption I see in Buffalo," he saidLongtime activist Kern fed up, leaves city, area
    By JAMES HEANEY
    News Staff Reporter
    5/7/2005

Dick Kern, who has waged a relentless and often acidic battle for 15 years against what he considers the forces of waste and corruption, has stopped fighting City Hall.

Discouraged with the city's state of affairs and weary from the Erie County District Attorney's relentless prosecutions, Kern has moved to Minneapolis to join his longtime girlfriend.

"I decided it was pointless to battle the district attorney anymore. This last prosecution really did demoralize me," Kern said from his new hometown. "I'm licking my wounds at this point. I'm gun shy."

Kern, a 65-year-old Ivy League-educated social worker, said his activism was stoked by investigative reports in The Buffalo News during the late 1980s about discrimination, cronyism and waste at the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority.

He has railed against the authority since then, as well as against other city officials whom he contended have squandered hundreds of millions of dollars in housing and anti-poverty aid. Kern blames it on a "political culture of cronyism and unaccountability."

He spared almost no one, and his targets included those who were trying to solve the same problems he was but taking different tacks.

His methods were varied and often confrontational.

He once conducted a hunger strike on the steps of City Hall. Twice he staged symbolic break-ins of public housing apartments.

He would show up at the houses and offices of his targets, sometimes verbally confronting them, other times leafleting their neighborhood. And he wrote columns for alternative weeklies and, more recently, railed via e-mail, which frequently turned into ugly exchanges between Kern and his targets.

"His passion and involvement will be missed - but not his tactics," said Gillian Brown, the housing authority's acting executive director.

True to form, Kern spent his last weekend in Buffalo last month leafleting Brown's home.

"He leafleted my house and car all the time," Brown said.

Kern's only remaining business is the sale of his West Side home. While he has moved and said he's put Buffalo behind him, he is still issuing an occasional alert to an e-mail list, the most recently coming Thursday.

The most aggressive of Kern's tactics, which his critics characterized as harassment or stalking, made him the target of an estimated 15 to 20 prosecutions by District Attorney Frank J. Clark.

Complainants have included former City Treasurer Marilyn Smith, former Niagara Common Council Member Robert Quintana, and Charles Flynn, former chairman of the Independence Party and a member of the housing authority's governing board.

Prosecutors failed to win any convictions, however, although several of Kern's targets obtained orders of protection against him.

Kern had other legal problems, as well. He was cited for housing code violations twice in the late 1990s and was sentenced to jail time by a Housing Court judge.

Clark's persistence in pressing criminal charges prompted Kern to file suit in federal court several years ago, contending the prosecutions were a politically motivated attempt to stop his First Amendment-protected activities.

As part of the court proceedings April 11, both Clark and Kern agreed to drop all pending legal actions.

Michael Kuzma, one of Kern's lawyers, said Kern's departure is unfortunate, in part because Clark used his office to stifle free speech. "Why I was so interested and concerned about Dick's cases was the First Amendment implications," Kuzma said. "If Dick can be prosecuted for his First Amendment activities, anyone could."

Clark said his prosecutions were based on complaints filed by others and insisted he didn't handle Kern's cases any differently than others.

"My feelings about him are no different than the other 49,000 criminal filings in City Court every year," he said.

While many agreed with Kern on the larger issues and respected his sometimes exhaustive research, most said his strident tone and personalized attacks undercut his effectiveness and prompted many to eventually tune him out.

"His own worst enemy" was the phrase often used to describe him.

Kern makes no apologies for his tactics. "I became radicalized by the trouble I saw not changing. I kept whacking harder," he said. "It's hard for me to see how I could do it differently because no one else was stepping up."

Should officials in Minneapolis be preparing for his wrath?

"The culture here is vastly different, the government is accountable. I don't see the blatant corruption I see in Buffalo," he said

Unregistered

Haxton answers, "I'm working on it."

Haxton's delinquent taxes will soon total nearly $10,000, but she refused to discuss the problem with a Channel 2 reporter.

I would be interesting to know if taxes on her home are current.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=54704

Lackawanna City Council Member Owes Thousands in Back Taxes

Posted by: kristin donnelly, reporter

Created: 1/22/2008 10:52:23 PM, Updated: 1/23/2008 3:52:17 AM

VIDEO: http://www.wgrz.com/video/vplayer.aspx?aid=38909&bw=

By the end of January, Lackawanna City Council member Andrea Haxton will owe more than $7,000 dollars in back taxes on the property at 297 Ridge road.

She agreed to talk to us about it, before the council meeting.

Kristin Donnelly asks, "By the end of January, it will be $7,000 dollars, are you going to pay?"

Andrea Haxton answers, "I'm working on it."

But when we tried to ask her a follow up question she wouldn't answer and walked away.

Click on the video link to watch the exchange.

We apporached her again after the meeting and she still would not answer our questions.

Council President Chuck Jaworski says, "I think it's a disgrace not only to this council but to every citizen in Lackawanna."

Kristin Donnelly asks, "She's getting a paycheck from the city of Lackawanna, what do you think that says to taxpayers?"

Jaworski answers, "If it was up to me that paycheck would be garnished, but it's not up to me, there's no law on the books to go after her."

Kristin Donnelly asks, "Do you think taxpayers should be concerned when you have someone on the council who owes $7,000 dollars and it's going to be $10,000 dollars shortly, that's a lot of money?"

Council Member Geoffrey Szymanski, "It is, but you have to understand she got into politics because she wanted to be the voice and champion of the people, but that doesn't mean that you're going to have money."

Unregistered

Other media coverage of Councilwoman Haxton woes?

The silence of other media about Lackawanna Councilwoman Haxton's many financial woes is puzzling. Has Bflo News covered Haxton's problems?

Her refusal to talk to Channel 4's reporter after promising she would is certainly not "open and accountable" about issues clearly affecting her ability to govern.

Haxton is apparently also losing her longtime home in mortgage foreclosure, as her business on the street level of her slum building on Abbott is also failing. A friend who has visited the store described is as dirty & in shameful condition.

She has been required by the city & Health Dept to evict her tenants, so her income is plummeting as she faces major expenses.

What is her income as Councilwoman?

Too many questions, too few answers.

http://ecclerk.erie.gov:9080/prod_pu.../hitgetxml.jsp

Pty Code Party Name Group Record date Bk Type Book Page Legal Desc Ref 1 Ref 2 Status
    D HAXTON ANDREA COURT 11/13/2007 K 59 9975 I 2007007929 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA COURT 11/13/2007 K 59 9979 I 2007007929 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA OATH 01/25/2007 K 39 2474 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA LIEN 01/17/2007 Q 172 1573 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA AKA LIEN 08/16/2007 L 410 8111 LKW 19 10/8 S287 C1318 I 2007007929 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA DBA LIEN 01/10/2007 Q 171 8706 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA Z COURT 01/10/2008 K 64 3348 I 2007007929 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA Z INDEX 08/16/2007 K 53 6684 I 2007007929 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA Z COURT 02/08/2007 K 40 2243 I 2005008170 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA Z AKA COURT 11/13/2007 K 59 9975 I 2007007929 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA Z AKA COURT 11/13/2007 K 59 9979 I 2007007929 V
    D HAXTON ANDREA Z AKA LIEN 08/16/2007 L 410 8111 LKW 19 10/8 S287 C1318 I 2007007929

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    not saying that she's a bad person....at all.....she just shouldn't be in an elected office....at least until she gets her personal matters in order....good for her for helping others....but electable???......come on!!??!!
    I don't feel just because someone has financial problems that that should cause them to loose any position they may hold even in politics. If they are doing their elected jobs than thats all i care about. Andrea knows first hand the struggles of the first ward community. Yes i can understand peoples issues with her unpaid taxes but to be honest mine are late as well. My income tax check normally helps me pay my 2nd half prop tax along with my Erie county taxes. They do get paid but just a few weeks late. Like the city cares, they get their interest charge. I don't feel Andrea is a slumlord. She just had some slum residents. I had a neighbor who lived in his apartment for years, he moves out and a slum resident moves in. They destroyed the apartment and now the landlord is stuck fixing it back up. I'm supporting my family on the bare minimum while my husband is on dialysis. I have 3 young children. Andrea helped us get a beautiful playground built and was always willing to listen to everyones concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Why doesnt Mayor Brown direct his police department to serve the warrants instead of the County Sheriffs Department? That seems odd to me.
    The issue is that the BPD can only serve warrants in the city/proper. Erie Co Sheriffs can go through the county with warrants. See the difference?

Unregistered

Haxton files discrimination suit with NYS

There continues to be an appearance of impropriety is such a financially troubled legislator with serious property code violations ruling on city budgets in a struggling city.

And those problems prevent her from effectively addressing the cronyism & corruption she complains about, that have long been alleged in Lackawanna.

http://www.wivb.com/global/story.asp?s=8224419

Lackawanna council woman files complaint with state

Updated: April 24, 2008 09:13 PM CDT

LACKAWANNA, N.Y. (WIVB) - - No one investigates like News 4. Is the only woman on the Lackawanna City Council a target of discrimination?

Andrea Haxton thinks so. She's filed a complaint with the state. Andrea Haxton keeps a smile on her face, at least publicly. As a first term Lackawanna Council Member, the political scene has been anything but smooth.

Andrea Haxton, Lackawanna Council Member, "I lost my job and my job used to carry my house bills and my store bills. And when that happened it's just been a black hole spiraling downward."

Haxton has been in and out of court because of building code violations. She used to operate a store on the first floor, and rent apartments on the upper level of this Ridge Road building. It's now vacant. Plus she owes thousands of dollars in back taxes. A check of city records shows that she owes over 13 thousand dollars in county, city and school taxes. One tax bill has been delinquent since 2005. Haxton also owes over one thousand dollar in back taxes for the home she lives in on Elm Street.

Andrea Haxton, "I've been trying to sell the building so i can make due on all my taxes and my financial situation so I don't have to go bankrupt. I don't want to go bankrupt. I'm trying to fight it."

Norman Polanski, Lackawanna Mayor, "She should do the right thing and clean up her act."

Mayor Norman Polanski says Haxton is held to a higher standard because she's elected by the people.

Norman Polanski, Lackawanna Mayor, "An elected official has no business owing back taxes. That is the bottomline. You get a paycheck, you should pay your taxes."

Lackwanna Council President Chuck Jaworski says Haxton's problems have given the city and its residents a black eye.

Chuck Jaworski, Lackawanna Council President, "Should she resign? Possibly, if she can't resolve it. I think she should resign."

If back taxes on the Ridge Road building are not paid, the city could foreclose. Plus, there's the cost of demolishing the property if the code violations aren't addressed.

Norman Polanski, Lackawanna Mayor, "That's her responsibility. It should be handled through her."

This is an elected official. You should do the right thing. If it's your responsibility you should do the right thing for the community.

Andrea Haxton, "I'm going to do the right thing. And some how the money's going to come. I don't know how, but I'm believing."

Haxton believes she's a target of certain political factions, one because she's a woman and because she doesn't fit in with what she calls "the good old boys club."

Andrea Haxton, "They just want me gone yesterday, and that's what it's all about."

Who are the good old boys?

Andrea Haxton, "I'm not going to name names, people know in this town. They know who the good old boys are."

Story by Luke Moretti (WIVB)

Haxton a target of wolves

I don’t see how someone's financial situation has anything to do with their ability to do their job. I know of many people that ran into financial problems, even filed bankruptcy and were still able to do their jobs. What about Daniel Kozub? He had financial as well as marital problems, but apparently no one felt he couldn't do his job. He is twice divorced and a deadbeat father. His house on Electric Avenue went into foreclosure. It was left in deplorable conditions. Information was obtained through a HUD property condition report. Not to mention the fact that he is completely inept. He was a terrible councilman and good grief look where he is now.

I agree with the writer that said Haxton had some slum residents. The tenants that spoke against Haxton are financially poor. The gentleman, Mike is a poor soul who is caught up in the drug and alcohol world. Yes, I know him. I wouldn’t be surprised if these tenants were bribed to speak against Haxton. She claims they begged for a place to stay. If I went to look at an apartment and I saw terrible conditions I wouldn't take the place, why would her tenants have taken the place? Perhaps she's telling the truth. She was helping them out and they were staying there and not paying rent as she claims.

It is very "coincidental" that after Haxton started speaking out against some of the "good old boys" that she becomes the city's new project (target). The more I read the more it does sound as if the wolves she once broke bread with are targeting her.

How about that Mayor Polanski saying that Haxton should do the right thing and clean up her act. HA! Coming from his mouth that his hilarious. Has he forgotten that he is being charged with a crime himself?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How about that Mayor Polanski saying that Haxton should do the right thing and clean up her act. HA! Coming from his mouth that his hilarious. Has he forgotten that he is being charged with a crime himself?
    He is? What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    He is? What happened?
    WNYresident, we see you like to play games. Try looking at your own posts in the Corrupt Politics string from March 2008.
    In your attempt to be "clever" you have exposed yourself.
    Tape the following phrase to your pc. Maybe it will help you with your Alzheimer’s,
    "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofbs
    WNYresident, we see you like to play games. Try looking at your own posts in the Corrupt Politics string from March 2008.
    Tape the following phrase to your pc. Maybe it will help you with your Alzheimer’s,
    "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Hey, BS, no need to give Res a hard time. Think of his repetitive question as an opportunity:

Polanski is being investigated for election law violations. The District Attorney was quoted as saying if the allegations are true, it is a felony! A FELONY?

What is the allegation that may be a FELONY?

Oh, yeah. He offered to trade a subpar employee's job in exchange for his support in his election. And then he fired the employee for not supporting him. Channel 7 had the whole conversation ON TAPE. Pretty hard to deny it.

Polanski's defense is that the guy was a bad employee. Apparently not bad enough to spare his job if he supported him. Scuttlebut is that the line is gettin longer of people coming forward with similar stories of deals, harassment, etc.

Maybe he needs to clean up his act or resign! Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor
    Hey, BS, no need to give Res a hard time. Think of his repetitive question as an opportunity:

Polanski is being investigated for election law violations. The District Attorney was quoted as saying if the allegations are true, it is a felony! A FELONY?

Oh, yeah. He offered to trade a subpar employee's job in exchange for his support in his election. And then he fired the employee for not supporting him. Channel 7 had the whole conversation ON TAPE. Pretty hard to deny it.

Polanski's defense is that the guy was a bad employee. Apparently not bad enough to spare his job if he supported him. Scuttlebut is that the line is gettin longer of people coming forward with similar stories of deals, harassment, etc.

I apologize for my quick temper.
    Thanks LAsurvivor for your insight. I hope the scuttlebut is true.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredofbs
    I get this for asking what was the crime your referring to. People find these post and may not know the history of the characters we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor

Anybody have any information on what the status is on the investigation of Mayor Polanski that is being done by the District Attorney's office?
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

what's up with Mayor Polanski????

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna
    Anybody have any information on what the status is on the investigation of Mayor Polanski that is being done by the District Attorney's office?
    I was hoping someone had some information.

Post Well, well, well

Seems the Powers in LA have pounded the last nail into Haxton's coffin:

They passed a law calling for removal of anyone who owes back taxes to the City.

Dangerous, dangerous precedent. Pass a law to get what you want or eliminate your competition. What's next? passing a law that doesn't allow any republican candidate to run for office? Or was that law already passed since Polanski had no opposition for re-election?

If the political tide ever swings, the current electeds better be concerned about the precedent they have set. I can see it now...

Pass a law banning ugly and dumb people from holding office. There may be no one left!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information