Thread: Same Old for 2008

Same Old for 2008

Just a few observations and predictions for the upcomming year and maybe a couple years ahead.

The same old "politics as usual" will continue in the City of Lackawanna. The backroom games will still be played. Let me site some examples:

FIRST The First and Second Wards will continue to fall into decay. The ideas of urban renewal, new urbanism, and redevelopment will never even be thought of as the joke of a Planning Board will rubber stamp the mayor's and EDZ directors "well" thought of plans. Why attempt at increasing housing values?? Why worry about quality of life?? It takes more than windmills on some slage to say Lackawanna is moving forward!!! Can we maybe work on fixing vacant houses, delapitaed homes, and streets so Lackawanna doesn't continue with having the reputation of a poor community that looks like a eastern european slum during WW2?

SECOND The rift between city governemt and non-profit development corporations will continue to grow marking a continuation of the "I want to take credit for everything era" for the current administration.

THIRD Speaking of rifts: the one between the Lackawanna School District and City Government will remain the same. I don't even think the late Evel Knievel could jump the gap that has been created. And why should we work together? What a stupid idea!

FOURTH: There will continue to be a lack of partnership between members of our city government and the state and federal government. There will be failure to get more for our city. But even if we did get more we would shoot ourselves in the foot anyway!!! But lackawanna is moving forward because we have that "awesome" hotel in the first ward! With every stay you get a complimentary view of windmills that don't work, rusty coke ovens and government housing projects that are falling apart!!! Welcome to sunny LA!!One would think Dan Kozub comming from Lackawanna would be on board with bringing county investment into the city or at least the Route 5 Corridor......Nah! Why would he???? Im pretty sure he's been asleep at his desk for the past two years!!!! And hey add another two onto those!!

In closing all I have to say is that things will get worse! I do not see any reform in government, no trimming of spending, no planning for the future, no investment in infrastucture, no means of increasing quality of life, no improvements in the "downtown" area, no means of increasing housing values, no increase in the tax base, no cooperation, no partnerships, no concensus building, but Lackawanna is moving forward!!!!

Keep your eyes on the candiates for EC Leg District 1 in 2 years....and watch the campaigns message!!! But I forgot....Lackawanna is moving forward...

Quote Originally Posted by Gork315
    Just a few observations and predictions for the upcomming year and maybe a couple years ahead.

FOURTH:
    In closing all I have to say is that things will get worse! no means of increasing housing values, no increase in the tax base
    Have you got your new homeowners property assessment yet?

There has been an almost a 30% increase in my assessment.
    So much for no increase in housing values (I could not sell my home for the full assessment.) I dread getting my 2008 tax bill

When the property assessments go up. Won't the city tax base go up also?
    I know the city claims the tax base will stay the same but I find it hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna
    Have you got your new homeowners property assessment yet?

There has been an almost a 30% increase in my assessment.
    So much for no increase in housing values (I could not sell my home for the full assessment.) I dread getting my 2008 tax bill

When the property assessments go up. Won't the city tax base go up also?
    I know the city claims the tax base will stay the same but I find it hard to believe.
    Here is the game:

Increasing the taxable assessments results in a Lower tax rate. Powers that be claim that there is a tax cut.

Reality is that this group increased taxes $2 million dollars since 2004 from about 7.5 to 9.5 mil. That is on about a 20 million dollar budget. This while State aid rose almost 2 million and sales tax also grew. The term "drunken sailor" comes to mind.

Now, who are these people representing? There hasn't been an election in four years. Local Dems use their influence at the Water Authority to promise jobs to lock up endorsements, then the only election for mayor was in the democratic primary, where about 20% actually voted. Two years ago, they scared, coerced, bough...candidates out of two of the three council races (2nd and 3rd ward). The Dems lost the only election they ran - in the first ward!! Now they shout down the poor lady for askin questions (read the News today). Oh yea, the Dems just appointed the 3rd ward council replacement. The people really have a voice here.

If I can get the full assessed value for my house, I may take it!!

Thread Information