Thread: If city hall is empty, why not move county into city hall?

Unregistered

If city hall is empty, why not move county into city hall?

If city hall is empty, why not move county into city hall? Then we are one step closer to a regional government, just colocate the same city departments with the same county departments...then their one step closer to consolidating

county accounting+city accounting=metro accounting
    auditing+auditing=auditing
    purchasing+purchasing=purchasing
    etc

then they can make the rath building into an office building

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    If city hall is empty, why not move county into city hall? Then we are one step closer to a regional government, just colocate the same city departments with the same county departments...then their one step closer to consolidating

county accounting+city accounting=metro accounting
    auditing+auditing=auditing
    purchasing+purchasing=purchasing
    etc

then they can make the rath building into an office building

That would be great, however the county is renting space now because it doesn't have enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    That would be great, however the county is renting space now because it doesn't have enough space.
    There's lots of wasted and empty space in the Rath building. Hopefully the expensive consultants doing the Space study came to that conclusion.

Good idea. And if more space is needed, maybe pilot offices around the county wont be such a bad thing.

Unregistered
    the city hall building is large enough for both Buffalo and Erie County government.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    If city hall is empty, why not move county into city hall?
    Because City Hall is not empty.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    It's getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Do they truly not have enough space or are they disorganized? I have heard that there is a lot of space in the building that is wasted. I've never been there, so I don't know that to be a fact. I just know that there never seems to be enough room in my house, but if I did a better job of organizing, I could probably fit a whole other family in here! Actually, if I went through and organized, who knows I might even find a whole other family in here!!
    Anyway, back to the topic, even with organization, I think the county will probably always need to rent some space just because of logistics.

Unregistered
    Maybe it should be LOL!

but a number of local elected officials keep citing how empty city hall is and that there is enough space to move the UB school of architecture into the building.

Now seriously, in order for that idea to float...that has to be some serious excess space in that building.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    Do they truly not have enough space or are they disorganized? I have heard that there is a lot of space in the building that is wasted. I've never been there, so I don't know that to be a fact. I just know that there never seems to be enough room in my house, but if I did a better job of organizing, I could probably fit a whole other family in here! Actually, if I went through and organized, who knows I might even find a whole other family in here!!
    Anyway, back to the topic, even with organization, I think the county will probably always need to rent some space just because of logistics.
    Very good point! I have never been there either, but I have done work in a lot of peoples homes and businesses, and I would say on average at least 60% of people live/work like pigs, and another 30% are unorganized. So, when it comes to a bureaucratic authority, the odds are that city hall has plenty of space if someone was allowed to clean it up. Both physically and mentally of course. lol

I think that reorganizing county hall would probably make more sense. City Hall is not conducive to office retrofitting.

In fact what they should do is add more floors to the new courthouse so it could include the state, county and city courts. This would eliminate the need for four buildings. The stupidity on Giambra's part was building the new crime facility way yonder, instead of by the FBI building or new courthouse.

Move city government into old county hall (formerly old city hall). This would have government in one area.

Reuse possibilities
    State building = Office Space
    Former County Hall = City Hall
    Family Court = Ancillory County Offices for which we now rent
    City Court = Detonate
    City Hall = Condo/Hotel

I'm not sold on City Hall going condo. Places like the Council Chambers and the front lobby were always meant to be public places and the artwork and artdeco detail was meant for the people of the city. I would hate to see those areas become someone's private living-room and off-limits for the rest of us.

I'm not sold on City Hall going condo. Places like the Council Chambers and the front lobby were always meant to be public places and the artwork and artdeco detail was meant for the people of the city. I would hate to see those areas become someone's private living-room and off-limits for the rest of us.
    If it were more NYC style, businesses could occupy the lobby so that the artwork would be open for public display. As for the Council Chambers, maybe it could be some type of media room and open to the public at certain times for viewing.

I'm sure that something could be made available to accommodate those that wish to have some public access.

^^ Those are all great ideas.

Thread Information