Originally Posted by 300miles
So I started to dig a little.
From January of 2004, Schumer WHILE WORKING WITH BRIAN HIGGINS announced that the Outer Harbor should follow the same design patterns of Battery Park City. The main nuts of the proposal are based on proportions.
• 42% residential housingA couple of months later...Schumer visited Buffalo and told Buffalo the secret sauce of Battery Park. And I quote...
• 30% designated open space
• 19% designated for streets and avenues;
• and the remaining 9% for commercial use
"Battery Park City (BPC) is a planned community in southwestern Manhattan of 92 acres, nearly 30 of which are permanently protected open space. The development of the site, which was built on a landfill comprised of the fill from the World Trade Center's construction, has raised property values in the surrounding area dramatically."
Gee...NYC had 90 acres and the outer harbor is 120. Gee...Building over landfill is almost like building over Brownfields!
Later in this article Schumer says....
To develop Battery Park City, streets and sidewalks were returned to grade level and made an extension of Manhattan´s grid (as had been done in all earlier landfill expansions of lower Manhattan). This created conventional development blocks, which, in turn, led to conventional building forms. Each block could be parceled out to different developers at different times, according to market demand. Because the plan was more a framework for development than a fixed design, there was a great deal of flexibility in actual execution and that has served as a basis to bring a diversity of uses, buildings and parks to Battery Park City.
Then less then a year later....
I found on the WNY Coalition for progress blog from January of 2005.
"The team is made up of Opus Group of Minneapolis, Uniland Development of Amherst, VOA Associates of Chicago, Urban Retail Properties of Chicago and BIDCO of Buffalo. The marquee elements of its $750 million proposal include:
- A 300,000-square-foot convention centerThen I found this article in the New York Times from 2006 which says "Still, many people think this time might be the real thing. Buffalo has a new mayor, Byron W. Brown, who has aggressively pitched the city’s potential from California to Massachusetts. There is financial support from the state and federal governments, spurring highway projects and cleanups of polluted former industrial sites."
- A 3,500-room convention hotel and winter garden complex
- More than 1,000 apartments, townhouses and condominiums
- A 215,000-square-foot sports center
- A 4,500-seat amphitheater
- A 150-suite hotel/water park/aquarium complex
- A 500,000-square-foot festival pavilion
- 200,000 square feet of Class A office space and
- 236 boat slips.
SO WHO DID BROWN SPEAK WITH FROM CALIFORNIA TO MASSACHUSETTS? Just what did those developers say? Lastly, WHY THE HELL IS BROWN NOT PRESENTING TO THE PUBLIC WHAT THEY SAID?
So here is how I see it. A Senator tells Buffalo and BRIAN HIGGINS to follow the Battery Park plan and starts looking for money. He advises to make an AT GRADE STREET GRID and ZONE RIGHT and development will come.
Then the NFTA goes out and gets a MEGA PLAN that puts the focus on development in the hands of a couple of developers. WHICH IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT WORKED AT BATTERY PARK.
Then the usual suspects get involved from Buffalo and attack the MEGA PLANS from the developers and they walk away from the project.
When this happens, Brown goes out and looks for NEW DEVELOPERS but NOTHING comes from it. HE never reports his findings....
Now, almost 4 years after the project really got going, Buffalo, and more importantly politicians like Brian Higgins, has NOTHING TO SHOW FOR FOUR YEARS OF "WORK". Nothing has been done on the outer harbor. Brian Higgins, who was around from DAY 1 needs to get SOMETHING DONE...ANYTHING DONE as he has been working on this for almost 4 years.
Since the developers are not interested in the Outer Harbor....FOR REASONS WE DO NOT KNOW...the only thing Higgins can push through is a plan THAT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT HAS WORKED IN THE PAST!!!!!
Only in Buffalo folks!!!!