Thread: 2020's John Stossel ABC News

Tony Fracasso - Admin

2020's John Stossel ABC News

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/s...3970818&page=1

Go watch 2020's John Stossel

Ron Paul interview from 12/10/2007 along with some interesting facts about ethanol. Sounds like someone yanking our leg about the "benefits" of ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/s...3970818&page=1

Go watch 2020's John Stossel

Ron Paul interview from 12/10/2007 along with some interesting facts about ethanol. Sounds like someone yanking our leg about the "benefits" of ethanol.
    I saw him on 2020 the other night and was going to go watch that.

Thanks for the link
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Corn ethanol, unfortunately is a sham that will benefit very few.

Unregistered
    its not about corn ethanol....I just dont understand why people keep on thinking we are going to replace gas with ethanol because that isnt the trend at all.

1) All through the 80s and 90s we poisoned our groundwater with a cancer causing carcinogenic 10% gasoline additive called MTBE. Water could not be used for residential uses, for drinking water, etc. It was intended to help gas burn cleaner and reduce air pollution.....Now that MTBE is banned all the ethanol plants will merely be able to produce enough to replace MTBE as a clean fuel additive.

2) VW and other european carmakers have diesel cars that are getting 50 mpg ...and thats more than gas electric hybrids....plus FAST COMPANY just had an article about a diesel engine with a hydrogen additive that can get up to 100mpg.

3) Mandating all vehicles engines sold in the US be flex fuel will cap gasoline prices so they cannot rise above biodiesel, diesel, methanol or ethanol. Gas goes up and people simply switch fuels. Such a mandate would handicap electrics, hybrids, plugins or hydrogen fuel cells.

4) new technologies are using waste heat from buildings and power plants and industrial complexes to grow oil producing alge...the algae is then harvest..and the oil used to produce biodiesel which is going to even cheaper and more productive than cellulosic ethanol.

5) new technologies are using waste from storm drains, sewar/municipal waste, municipal garbage, industrial waste...infact any kind of carbon based waste to convert to biodiesel in processes ranging from heat and pressure to biomass.

Our landfills and sewar treatment facilities are energy consumers but with todays technology they would be energy producers.

And thats just a short list.....

So ethanol is an intermediary step...the sad thing...is that Buffalo and WNY are an international center for power generation. Yet 2 years ago the midwest and northeast had a power failure signaling a multi-decade infrastructure upgrade for power generation and power distribution and power management........

now our nation is facing fuel cost spikes and shortages which is creating a brand new industry in alternative forms of fuels and waste management and power generation......

yet in both of the above cases Buffalo and WNY sits back and waits for these new technologies and these new companies to pass us by.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Corn ethanol, unfortunately is a sham that will benefit very few.
    I dont care who it benifits,All I know is the farmers are making money on corn.This means less land sold to developers that makes me happy and thats all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    I dont care who it benifits,All I know is the farmers are making money on corn.This means less land sold to developers that makes me happy and thats all that counts.
    That is an interesting point.

Thread Information